The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm having trouble getting people to agree to attend a focus group for my diss research. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get people there without spending too much money?
Reply 481
Ahh, I feel like I've done absolutely no work compared to you lot!! I've got my title, I've downloaded a load of journal articles (but read none), I've done my econometric model, though it needs tweaking, and I've not even written a single word.

I think I'm going to spend all of today and tomorrow on it. Plans are to read a few journals to get a better idea of the models that have previously been used, and then to think of any extra variables that would be relevant to my model. My supervisor has already told me I need two more: one on exchange rate volatility; and one to determine cultural ties between the countries. :s-smilie:
Original post by .ACS.
Ahh, I feel like I've done absolutely no work compared to you lot!! I've got my title, I've downloaded a load of journal articles (but read none), I've done my econometric model, though it needs tweaking, and I've not even written a single word.

I think I'm going to spend all of today and tomorrow on it. Plans are to read a few journals to get a better idea of the models that have previously been used, and then to think of any extra variables that would be relevant to my model. My supervisor has already told me I need two more: one on exchange rate volatility; and one to determine cultural ties between the countries. :s-smilie:

I know the feeling but this week has definately got my word count up a bit (although i am really struggling with my econometrics section at the moment I don't understand what my stationarity results are telling me :frown: ) however in light of the fact that my model has high explanatory power for a relationship in the opposite direction to that which i wanted I have decided to bulk my project out with lots of graphs and tables highlighting this fact...

I really should book a meeting with my tutor but i never seem to get a lot out of them, and he is one of the most senior lecturers my department has for econometrics so i don't want to go to him and say i don't know how to do anything!
Original post by ajp100688
7,500 words down with 7,500 to go. I'm feeling pretty confident about it at the moment. I have to have a finished first draft submitted in a month and then two weeks later I have a further two weeks to fix any issues my supervisor has identified and then it's submission time. I can't wait to get it over and done with.

Oh hai fellow history and politics person :biggrin:

This sounds a lot like me :smile: I don't have to hand another draft in (handed in 5000 words a couple of weeks ago), but I'm aiming to get it all done by the end of Feb (or before preferably), then it's due in 16th March.

Are you doing a history or politics one? (sorry if you've mentioned it before)
Started reading through my diss last week, and made a couple of corrections each day. It's reading better than I thought it would, so I'm rather happy. Just got to read through my last chapter, then I'll print it and start the whoooole process again! Then I can send one chapter to supervisor for advice, so will have to make the decision on which chapter to send, then sort out my tables/appendices/layouts.. and we're done!
Found my last 2 species to do woo :smile:

rejected 1 subspecies (wasn't needed in the end) so this week I got to get my introduction and methods subheadings done, get my appendix in order with my species and finish my final codon stuff.

Hopefully he says it'll ok and can start writing that part up afterwards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh joy, dissertation progress report came through today. Thankfully I just have one chapter to go. But forms. Arghhhhhhhhh. I have a fear of these things at present.
Managed to get up to 9,270 words over last weekend (out of 15,000). Word count isn't entirely accurate, cause I've been using shortened versions of references throughout, and some of them will be replaced with full references or ibid, but it gives me a rough idea :smile:

About to spend another hours or two writing, and see how far I can get.
Right guys, I need your help!

I am doing my dissertation on student interaction with different forms of media, and how it differs between genders and interest groups (rough description).

I need a hell of a lot of people to fill out my survey so that when I reference results of this survey, I'm not referencing like 5 people, and my results are valid.

Please help me. The survey will only take 5 mins, and I would honestly be eternally grateful!!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/dissertation2012

Thanks guys,

Alex :colondollar:
Had a meeting today

Got my introduction laid out nicely :smile: just finish the little changes and then write up this week
Got to finish my codons/DNA affected to be sure i got enough data

Feels good to be able to be write out some words and have a chapter done.
Finally i get a response from my tutor giving me comments on my dissertation. Unfortunately he hasn't exactly done that. He instead gave me comments on a document I submitted before christmas which I asked him for comments on back then and he didn't get back to me.

The comments he has given me mean that any work i have done beyond my literature review is irrelevant and would have really been useful before now, when I have 6 weeks left to get help before easter. (It's due in the second day after we get back from easter :frown: )
Reply 491
Original post by ellejaytee
Finally i get a response from my tutor giving me comments on my dissertation. Unfortunately he hasn't exactly done that. He instead gave me comments on a document I submitted before christmas which I asked him for comments on back then and he didn't get back to me.

The comments he has given me mean that any work i have done beyond my literature review is irrelevant and would have really been useful before now, when I have 6 weeks left to get help before easter. (It's due in the second day after we get back from easter :frown: )

:console: Sounds like a crappy situation :frown:

Is there another tutor you can approach about this? Someone who's a little more prompt with emails for a start!
Original post by aeterno
:console: Sounds like a crappy situation :frown:

Is there another tutor you can approach about this? Someone who's a little more prompt with emails for a start!

It really is rubbish, but I realised how rubbish he was when he didn't reply before christmas (actually before then when he told the department that I had never emailed him, when actually he hadn't checked his emails).

I really don't know if I can ask someone else, I think I have left it too late to switch and I don't really want to complain as he is the one marking it. On the plus side, out of however many words I have written (under 50% of the maximum) I only have 5 comments! (then again not sure if that is bad or good)
Hi

I am currently collecting data for my dissertation and i am in desperate need of participants.

The study is looking at risk taking and personality,the questionnaire takes about 10 minutes to complete.The only restriction is that you MUST be between the ages of 18-25 to take part

If anyone is willing to help then the link is : https://atrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_72SCfMgMAX7FEr2

Many thanks
Charlotte
Reply 494
It really is rubbish, but I realised how rubbish he was when he didn't reply before christmas (actually before then when he told the department that I had never emailed him, when actually he hadn't checked his emails).

I really don't know if I can ask someone else, I think I have left it too late to switch and I don't really want to complain as he is the one marking it. On the plus side, out of however many words I have written (under 50% of the maximum) I only have 5 comments! (then again not sure if that is bad or good)

Hm, maybe just have a chat with another tutor about what you're doing but without complaining about your supervisor to them - just act as if it's general conversation and hope for some ninja help :tongue:

I know this is probably not a situation you would like to be in but if worse comes to worst, you'll have every right to appeal against any mark he gives you seeing as he's been such a bad supervisor. Hopefully he did read your work properly though and he's not being lazy with those 5 comments, for your sake!

Sorry you got such a lousey supervisor. :hugs:

On a scary note I got 5 weeks TODAY until my independent study is due in!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey, a general question - I have just finished my all dissertation research and set the individual chapters and I have 11 weeks to write it up, have I left it too late - its 10, 000 words. please tell me I have not!

I have done 2,000 by the way also so tecnically 8,0000 left
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Sorry you got such a lousey supervisor. :hugs:

Thanks, I think I'm just about coping and beginning to understand what he wants me to do although it took three text books and google. Downside was that the lecture he gives today he cut short by an hour and had to rush off (or rather shuffle off) so I couldn't sort out a meeting with him then. Oh well.

Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
On a scary note I got 5 weeks TODAY until my independent study is due in!!

I do not like scary notes. Someone told me it was only 6 weeks till a trampolining competition the other day. Then I realised that meant 6 weeks till easter. Then I realised that meant 6 weeks until the last feedback I can get.

However, it hasn't really helped the work ethic (I spent more time practising for the comp than doing my dissertation)
Original post by katiegreen18
Hey, a general question - I have just finished my all dissertation research and set the individual chapters and I have 11 weeks to write it up, have I left it too late - its 10, 000 words. please tell me I have not!

I'm sure someone else will get back to you, but I don't think it is. I posted pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago and got some really helpful advice.

I would just say start writing something. Once you start it is relatively easy to keep it going and then it will soon be done. Also reference as you go along (not only is it helpful when it comes to the end, but it also helpspad your word count out!)
Original post by katiegreen18

I have done 2,000 by the way also so tecnically 8,0000 left

11 weeks is fine - I wrote 4,000 words in a week :smile:

As the poster above said, the best thing to do is just start writing, it just makes it so much easier. Set yourself a target of x number of words a week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending