The Student Room Group

Presentations...Love them or Loathe them?

I just had what hopefully is my last Uni presentation ever!

And from my first year the teachers always said I would get used to them, but I never did. When I present in front of the class, even if it's a group presentation, my voice shakes, my hands shake, my face goes red!

I hate them soo much!!!

Scroll to see replies

I like them. Presentations usually mean group work. Group work usually means messing around and doing nothing.

In all seriousness, I do alot of work and just enjoy doing them. They are easier than exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Guru Jason
I like them. Presentations usually mean group work. Group work usually means messing around and doing nothing.

In all seriousness, I do alot of work and just enjoy doing them. They are easier than exams.

I would definitely rather do an exam.

Group presentations are the worst, because there's always one person who's always late, or doesn't do enough work, and just doesn't care.
Original post by Emma-21
I would definitely rather do an exam.

Group presentations are the worst, because there's always one person who's always late, or doesn't do enough work, and just doesn't care.

I have to admit that sometimes that person is me. Not usually late but definately not doing enough work :biggrin:
Reply 4
I thoroughly enjoy giving presentations. I don't like being the centre of attention, but I enjoy sharing what I know with everyone else and presentations are a great medium for that. I also enjoy creating the actual presentation slides too, as it gives me a chance to be somewhat creative. The sector I'm considering going into (consulting) is heavily presentation-dependent so it's a good thing I enjoy giving presentations!
Reply 5
Original post by Guru Jason
I have to admit that sometimes that person is me. Not usually late but definately not doing enough work :biggrin:

Arghh I had a lot of that today. I would never have you in my Group! lol
Original post by Emma-21
Arghh I had a lot of that today. I would never have you in my Group! lol

In all fairness, I do make sure I have done my fair share of work before the end. Usually we have to do a 3 or 4 thousand word report to accompany it and I do more on that.
I don't much enjoy giving presentations as I'm quite shy, and preparing them means more work on top of essays, reading etc.
Reply 8
I dont mind presentations, but I prefer doing it on my own. I feel as if I have to do a better in a group which therefore makes me nervous as it is a group mark. For my history presentation for example which is due end of march, I have the worst group imaginable, 3/4 dont do any work, so Im gonna do all the work. Also i have to pass it for me to do the 2nd year at university.

Presentations on my own however I find easier and puts less pressure on me.
Reply 9
I like doing all the research etc for them, but hate the actual presentation part.
I hate doing group presentations as most people are usually reluctant to do them so they either don't show for meetings or they hardly bother with the (large) workload that is required.

If it's on my own though I absolutely love them. I had to do a presentation every two weeks at university and they really increased my confidence, the way I speak and I find they are a fantastic learning tool as you really need to know your stuff if you want to pull off a good presentation.

And it's not every day you get to dress in a suit :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by tomcol23
I dont mind presentations, but I prefer doing it on my own. I feel as if I have to do a better in a group which therefore makes me nervous as it is a group mark. For my history presentation for example which is due end of march, I have the worst group imaginable, 3/4 dont do any work, so Im gonna do all the work. Also i have to pass it for me to do the 2nd year at university.

Presentations on my own however I find easier and puts less pressure on me.

Yea that's what happened to me. I always end up checking everyone else's work.
Reply 12
I like organising the actual presentation but actually standing and speaking is dire, for the audience especially.
Reply 13
Original post by Emma-21
Yea that's what happened to me. I always end up checking everyone else's work.

I would do that, but 3 of them never turn up to lectures or seminars. Mainly because their hungover from the night before. The thing is though the presentation that we have chosen to do, that was the day they decided to turn up to, is about Jack the Ripper and who did it. If I was to do it on my own, I would easily get a 2:1 maybe even a first, but now I would be lucky to scrape a 3rd with the laziness of my group.
Reply 14
Original post by tomcol23
I would do that, but 3 of them never turn up to lectures or seminars. Mainly because their hungover from the night before. The thing is though the presentation that we have chosen to do, that was the day they decided to turn up to, is about Jack the Ripper and who did it. If I was to do it on my own, I would easily get a 2:1 maybe even a first, but now I would be lucky to scrape a 3rd with the laziness of my group.

Yea and what isn't fair is that the whole group gets the same grade! :angry:
Loathe them.

But that would be because I seem to have an inability to speak...not just in front of a crowd, but when i'm in a conversation with another person...happens when i'm typing too. I've never thought i'm dyslexic, but there's certain words I can't say at all, no matter how much I try.

I don't mind speaking in front of a crowd though...it's just really annoying that I can't say words which need to be said as there isn't another alternative!
I absolutely loathe them, I struggle not freeze up and I get so nervous and shaky, you know they generally make me ill :frown:
I always get really nervous beforehand, but when the time comes they are never as bad as I expect them to be.

Although that doesn't stop me from hating them the next time round!
I feel your pain. :frown: The worst part is the waiting around, the night and morning before knowing it's coming closer every second. When I do it, it's okay. It's just the dreadful waiting. It's painful. Afterwards I feel happy, proud.
Reply 19
Original post by SophiaKeuning
I feel your pain. :frown: The worst part is the waiting around, the night and morning before knowing it's coming closer every second. When I do it, it's okay. It's just the dreadful waiting. It's painful. Afterwards I feel happy, proud.

I'm exactly the same. I'm nervous from the night before right up until I finish the presentation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending