The Student Room Group

What motivated you to pursue a PhD?

Just wondering, I've been thinking I'd like doing academic research as a profession, but there's no money in it. What are your personal motivations for pursuing a PhD?

It's basically four or more years of academic work for not much money, when you could be earning a lot more doing something else, there has to be some solid motivation to go down that path...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
cause you like it?
Reply 2
Original post by *Corinna*
cause you like it?

can you be more precise about what exactly you like about it?
I like my subject - I enjoy research - I want to be 'discovering' things - I don't care that much about money. All pointed the way very clearly towards a PhD.
You know what they say, money doesn't make you happy.

Why did I get negged for this? It is a valid point, that there are other reasons that people pursue PhDs besides potential financial gain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I asked a friend doing a PhD, and he told me to post this:

He has a...self-abusive sense of humour.
Reply 6
I want a doctorate, and to be at the top of my academic feild.. not just learning from textbooks and teachers but actually DISCOVERING and paving the path of modern psychology
Original post by bmqib
Just wondering, I've been thinking I'd like doing academic research as a profession, but there's no money in it. What are your personal motivations for pursuing a PhD?

It's basically four or more years of academic work for not much money, when you could be earning a lot more doing something else, there has to be some solid motivation to go down that path...

Well, I wouldn't say there is 'no' money in academia. not the same as being a investment banker, but certainly enough to be comfortable. if you can get a permanent post, that is.

As for worrying about the money while you're doing a PhD...well, if you want to be an academic, there isn't a lot of choice in the matter. I worked as an RA, realised I wanted to work in research permanently, knew i could only go so far up the ladder without a PhD and so here I am....
Reply 8
It's only in UK that u don't get enough money during ur phd, in the continent u get enough money during ur phd, also again after ur phd if u work in research at a university or industry u get well paid in the continent. It's only in the UK that research isn't well paid. Here v r more interested in paying only bankers.
Reply 9
Original post by flying plum
Well, I wouldn't say there is 'no' money in academia. not the same as being a investment banker, but certainly enough to be comfortable. if you can get a permanent post, that is.

As for worrying about the money while you're doing a PhD...well, if you want to be an academic, there isn't a lot of choice in the matter. I worked as an RA, realised I wanted to work in research permanently, knew i could only go so far up the ladder without a PhD and so here I am....

what kind of money do engineering researchers earn on average? (computer scientists or electronic engineers?)
Reply 10
Original post by addh
It's only in UK that u don't get enough money during ur phd, in the continent u get enough money during ur phd, also again after ur phd if u work in research at a university or industry u get well paid in the continent. It's only in the UK that research isn't well paid. Here v r more interested in paying only bankers.

Any idea what engineering PhDs earn on average? I guess it's just the minimum stipend to live on...?
Reply 11
At first I was quite sure I wanted to do a PhD in the subject area that interests me. But it is quite tedious, and I don't know if I'd enjoy it enough to do it all the way :confused: I like to learn new things that I have an interest in, but don't know if research is the best option??

Anyone got any advice?
Reply 12
I might do a Masters but I would stop there.
Reply 13
Original post by bmqib
Any idea what engineering PhDs earn on average? I guess it's just the minimum stipend to live on...?

Where?
Reply 14
Original post by addh
Where?

In UK, europe or in the USA?
Reply 15
Original post by bmqib
In UK, europe or in the USA?

I can tell u by experience from some years back, i finished my masters in engineering from Germany in 2006 and was offered 2 jobs in Germany for around 42000 euros and one in UK for around 24000 pounds,

I think u wud get 5-10 % more with a phd but I am not entirely sure how much
So I could have Dr in front of my name tbh :rolleyes:
Reply 17
So someone , just someone, would say "Thank You Doctor", and mean it sincerely.

TBD
I can't remember and I don't know what's keeping me motivated to carry on.
Reply 19
Suprised to see masochism's not mentioned yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending