The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE music 2012

Hello music students! I have set this forum up to create a discussion about our exam in a week's time. Enjoy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:eek:Why'd you remind me? I'm really nervous about it!
I have been hoping someone would start a thread on this. I am so nervous for this, there is too much to learn! :frown:
Reply 3
I'm dreading it so much! Music is so hard and there's so much to remember, it's my first exam as well! Did awfully on the practise papers, so I'm just hoping the essay question is either Mozart or Handel! Good luck guys!
Original post by lizz-ie
I'm dreading it so much! Music is so hard and there's so much to remember, it's my first exam as well! Did awfully on the practise papers, so I'm just hoping the essay question is either Mozart or Handel! Good luck guys!

It's my first exam as well, and I have French listening that same day too. :frown: If Schoenberg comes up as the essay question, I will actually cry. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mediterrasian
It's my first exam as well, and I have French listening that same day too. :frown: If Schoenberg comes up as the essay question, I will actually cry. Good luck. :smile:

I have French that day too! No idea how to revise it though. Schoenberg wouldn't be the worst essay question, you just write about the extreme pitch ranges and dynamics :smile: Imagine getting a question asking you to compare all three versions of Rag Desh D:
Original post by lizz-ie
I have French that day too! No idea how to revise it though. Schoenberg wouldn't be the worst essay question, you just write about the extreme pitch ranges and dynamics :smile: Imagine getting a question asking you to compare all three versions of Rag Desh D:

Awh good luck for that too! I've not really much idea on how to revise that either, I've just been translating past papers. Ah yeah that's true, and Rag Desh would be hell! :frown:
Reply 7
I'm so nervous :frown:

Do we have to know each piece in great detail or is it good enough if we know the structure, techniques used, instrumentation etc?

I literally am so nervous, but I really need to get an A!
Reply 8
Any predictions as to what might come up?
Reply 9
Original post by Medical-al
Any predictions as to what might come up?

Rag Desh and Electric Counterpoint are pretty much guaranteed to come up, since they weren't in it last year. Also, I think one of AOS1 will probably come up as an essay question, as last year the examiner reports said about classical pieces being better answered, and I don't think the exam board will put two of the more random type ones in as essay questions, because an AOS1 question will really show that you know more. So since Chopin came up as an essay last year, I'm guessing (AND HOPING!) that either Handel or Mozart will come up this year.
Reply 10
Original post by marcotam
I'm so nervous :frown:

Do we have to know each piece in great detail or is it good enough if we know the structure, techniques used, instrumentation etc?

I literally am so nervous, but I really need to get an A!

Depending on how well you did in your coursework, you might not need a massive amount of marks to do well in the exam. Also, for the essay question, you need to know the elements of music and a tiny bit of context, but for section A of the exam, you need to know techniques, chord sequences, melody lines, etc. so for that section, it's probably best to know some aural like cadences and intervals, so you can just work it out in the exam, rather than just having to remember it.
Reply 11
Yes, I'm pretty sure that Rag desh will come up. I wouldnt' rely too much on your aural skills. It's best to know the information about the set works, and then apply that understanding in the exam.
Reply 12
Oh for those who are not sure of the UMS marks for this exam, and want to achieve a good grade, the points go like this...

Max. 120.
A*: 108/120
A: 96/120
So on...
Reply 13
Oh, by the way, I don't think that the exam board will be cruel enough to make you compare the three versions of Rag Desh. So rest assured :smile:
Original post by Medical-al
Oh, by the way, I don't think that the exam board will be cruel enough to make you compare the three versions of Rag Desh. So rest assured :smile:

Haha thank GOD! Would really love Electric Counterpoint to come up for Section B but I don't think I'd be lucky enough..
Oh by the way, can anyone help me with the Koko Yiri essay question? My teachers gave me nothing on that. -_-
I can help with pretty much any other essay question. :smile:
Reply 16
I want one of the Aos 1 pieces to be an essay question to be honest. They have a lot of information which can be discussed.
Reply 17
Original post by lizz-ie
Rag Desh and Electric Counterpoint are pretty much guaranteed to come up, since they weren't in it last year.

I almost died when my music teacher told me that they were bound to appear! Those are my least favourite. :s-smilie:
I've heard rumours that one essay question will be from either AOS1 or AOS2 and the other is from either AOS3 or AOS4 which is shown in last year's paper which had Chopin from AOS1 and Buckley from AOS3.

If this is true, it would be great because that means you can just learn the AOS1 and AOS2 ones and not the others, or vice versa, which really cuts down on revision. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Mediterrasian
Oh by the way, can anyone help me with the Koko Yiri essay question? My teachers gave me nothing on that. -_-
I can help with pretty much any other essay question. :smile:

I love Yiri! It's my favourite from AOS4, what do you need to know? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest