The Student Room Group

Official Thread for Those with Afro-Hair Only - Ladies and Gents . .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DancinBallerina

The egg I add to my pre poo every other week; so I mix up cheap conditioner, amla oil and olive oil, apply to my hair (concentrating on the roots and scalp especially), and then leave for 1 hr (NO HEAT) before washing off and starting the shampoo/condition process. HOWEVER if you're going to DC that week with the hair mayonnaise, you DON'T need to add the egg to the pre poo mix, as it'll be too much protein added to your hair (hope that makes sense). So if you're going to DC with hair mayonnaise, DON'T add egg to the pre poo mix, if you're just pre poo'ing WITHOUT egg, then you can DC with the hair mayonnaise. (You're basically alternating)

Thanks. I do get it but I was actually wondering if my DC could contain egg since everywhere I researched it, it didn't. Nothing against that hair mayonnaise, it's just that I love how my hair feels when I add honey to my DC and I wondered if I could add the egg and coconut oil in it as opposed to buying the hair mayonnaise.
Reply 1841
Original post by katyness
Yes :biggrin: I'm so excited!!! so what are your goals for now? what products have you been using?

I am planning to transition for a year and cut off the relaxed ends around christmas.

For the mean time I am going to do mostly protective styles such as braids, buns and weaves. Right now my hair is in braids and I wash them once a week and moisturise daily with a braid spray that I made with a mixture of oils and water.

when my hair is not in braids or weaves I moisturise and seal my hair like every other day with ors lotion and my oil mix. I also co-wash my hair once a week to detangle the new growth and I'll shampoo my hair whenever I feel I have too much build up. And I deep condition every two weeks.
Thanks. I do get it but I was actually wondering if my DC could contain egg since everywhere I researched it, it didn't. Nothing against that hair mayonnaise, it's just that I love how my hair feels when I add honey to my DC and I wondered if I could add the egg and coconut oil in it as opposed to buying the hair mayonnaise.

:smile:

I can't see why not? I am no hair expert, and what might work for one, might not work for another. But maybe take a read on Long Hair Care Forum, Hairlista and see what the ladies on there say; all very helpful.

Reply 1843
Original post by flosaw9
I am planning to transition for a year and cut off the relaxed ends around christmas.

For the mean time I am going to do mostly protective styles such as braids, buns and weaves. Right now my hair is in braids and I wash them once a week and moisturise daily with a braid spray that I made with a mixture of oils and water.

when my hair is not in braids or weaves I moisturise and seal my hair like every other day with ors lotion and my oil mix. I also co-wash my hair once a week to detangle the new growth and I'll shampoo my hair whenever I feel I have too much build up. And I deep condition every two weeks.

Its best to moisturise and seal daily when your hair is out.
Reply 1844
Original post by DancinBallerina
Awwww thank you :p:o I still visit TSR; @ least once a day, and now the App. is available I use my phone now and again, so would have definitely seen your message.

I have been meaning to blog more on my hair, but since the beginning of this year, I've literally been very busy, which has meant neglecting my blog. I do plan on doing some hair posts, but when I get a spare few days I shall do some posts.

As for my hair journey - it's been up and down! When I started it, my hair was growing at the speed of lighting, and family and friends couldn't believe it. A lot of people assumed I had ''hair extensions'', but it is my own genuine hair. I am still taking care of my hair, although not as regimented as before, as I'm just very busy, but I have still stuck to the same sort of products I started my journey with. I do not use ANY mineral oil or petrolatum in my hair, and when ever I get my roots done and the hairdressers ''insists'' on using it to oil my scalp, I say nope, and tell her to use my own products! lol My hair has sort of hit BSL (Bra Strap Length - fastening), but I have it cut every so often as I don't like straggly ends.

The egg I add to my pre poo every other week; so I mix up cheap conditioner, amla oil and olive oil, apply to my hair (concentrating on the roots and scalp especially), and then leave for 1 hr (NO HEAT) before washing off and starting the shampoo/condition process. HOWEVER if you're going to DC that week with the hair mayonnaise, you DON'T need to add the egg to the pre poo mix, as it'll be too much protein added to your hair (hope that makes sense). So if you're going to DC with hair mayonnaise, DON'T add egg to the pre poo mix, if you're just pre poo'ing WITHOUT egg, then you can DC with the hair mayonnaise. (You're basically alternating)

(I really hope this is making sense; im quite tired so trying to make sense of this the best I can lol - if it still doesn't make sense, let me know and I will re write it again sometime over the weekend).

Hope this answers your questions

Please post a pic of your hair and if I may ask whats your heritage
Reply 1845
Oh yes you!! I messaged you. (completely forgot lol) I decided not to transition, I'm not that strong but yes let's do this together :smile:

how long is your hair? what products are you using and what techniques are you keeping an eye on?

I'm loving Tresemme Naturals! It's my favourite conditioner at the moment, along with Yes To Carrots (ordered online) and Jason's Biotin Shampoo (sulfate free!)

My hair is about 12-14 inches long right now -I had breakage before my transition, and then trimmed three inches at the start of it so it's quite short by my standards right now. Technique-wise, I like the perm rod set, and I'm going to try getting it braided in a month or two I think. :smile:
Reply 1846
Original post by flosaw9

Woohoo!! Fellow transitioner! :biggrin: How is yours going?
Original post by Tel8
I'm loving Tresemme Naturals! It's my favourite conditioner at the moment, along with Yes To Carrots (ordered online) and Jason's Biotin Shampoo (sulfate free!)

My hair is about 12-14 inches long right now -I had breakage before my transition, and then trimmed three inches at the start of it so it's quite short by my standards right now. Technique-wise, I like the perm rod set, and I'm going to try getting it braided in a month or two I think. :smile:

I had never even look at Tresemme on the shop shelves but lately I have seen so many black women bigging it up so I decided to give it a go. I bought one but I had no idea what the difference between them was so I just got one that promised me moisture. As long as it doesn't make me bald during my co-wash I guess it will do :cool:
Reply 1848
Original post by Tel8
Woohoo!! Fellow transitioner! :biggrin: How is yours going?

Its going well so far, I'm taking out my braids next week though and I know there's going to be some serious new growth!
Reply 1849
Original post by flosaw9
Its going well so far, I'm taking out my braids next week though and I know there's going to be some serious new growth!

Aww, that's great! I found that the new growth really does kind of sneak up on you doesn't it? How long have you been transitioning for?

I had never even look at Tresemme on the shop shelves but lately I have seen so many black women bigging it up so I decided to give it a go. I bought one but I had no idea what the difference between them was so I just got one that promised me moisture. As long as it doesn't make me bald during my co-wash I guess it will do :cool:

LOL! I kind of feel the same way- I love trying out new products on my hair (<- total product junkie here- and proud of it!) so I don't really try to hard to follow any particular 'rules'- I prefer to use natural products simply because I tend to be allergic to nearly everything else, and it's much harder for me to avoid stuff I can't even pronounce in my products! But Tresemme is pretty great no matter which one you use as far as I know.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tel8

LOL! I kind of feel the same way- I love trying out new products on my hair (<- total product junkie here- and proud of it!) so I don't really try to hard to follow any particular 'rules'- I prefer to use natural products simply because I tend to be allergic to nearly everything else, and it's much harder for me to avoid stuff I can't even pronounce in my products! But Tresemme is pretty great no matter which one you use as far as I know.

Thank you for saying that. I was still unsure :smile:
Reply 1851
Who is going? I'm so excited
afro-hair-and-beauty-live-2012.png
Reply 1852
Original post by Tel8
Aww, that's great! I found that the new growth really does kind of sneak up on you doesn't it? How long have you been transitioning for? .

I'm about 6 months in to my transition now.

I took out one of my braids today just to see how much growth I have and I've got 4 inches of new growth already! I'm really surprised at how fast its grown, let me just say, protective styles are the way forward.
Reply 1853
What hair products keep afro hair straight after being straightened and at the same time provide protection?
Hey guys need some advice...

I have natural hair never been relaxed and only straightened twice a year. However, I am researching into relaxing my hair. I absolutely love my hair and I am not considering doing this because I don't like my natural texture or I dont know how to care for my hair. I feel I need a change and this possibly could be it. My hair has grown to BSL (over 4 years) so I think with the right regimen my hair can still be healthy.

Essentially should I relax my hair or keep my hair natural?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1855
Original post by flosaw9
I'm about 6 months in to my transition now.

I took out one of my braids today just to see how much growth I have and I've got 4 inches of new growth already! I'm really surprised at how fast its grown, let me just say, protective styles are the way forward.

I know right?! It's so exciting to see how fast your hair grows! I'm just finished with my 8th month and I can't believe how fast it's gone! The thickness is what gets me- I had no idea it would get this *big* ... lol
I'm not sure why I'm posting this but I need moral support.

My hair is driving me crazy. I started my regimen last week and I have been taking extra good care of my hair (even if I say so myself) and, even though most parts of my hair look and feel better, there's a small patch at the back that is terrifying. I've tried everything but every time I touch it, it feels rough and when I cut it I see split ends or some sort of damage on all strands. No other part is like this.

I don't know what else to do :'(
Reply 1857
Original post by Ebuwa
Who is going? I'm so excited
afro-hair-and-beauty-live-2012.png

How was it?
Reply 1858
I have naturally thick curly hair that I texturise once or twice per year to make it more manageable and less frizzy. Almost a year ago I did. Brazilian keratin treatment and even though it is not supposed to alter the texture of your hair, my hair has not been the same since. Since moving to England my curly hair has gone completely straight even though I've not done anything to it for the better part of 6 mths and have been trimming the straight ends off.

I went to Errol Douglas for a consultation and a texturiser done there for mucho dinero, my hair is still a disaster. Can someone please recommend a good Afro-stylist in London with whom they have had luck using texturisers. Also, does anyone think it might have to do with the cold weather?

Help!
I think I'm gonna get braid extensions in either red or purple. Anyone got any pics of inspiration?

Quick Reply