The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Scroll to see replies

the p90x dvd might be worth a try
Get Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

All you need is a workout mat and some light weights, like 1-2 kg each.

I do this every day and have much a better figure than when I went down the gym everyday

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 822
buy a chinning bar and do chin-ups and/or pull ups, great for burning fat and building muscle (back, abdomen and arms)
Original post by such_a_lady
Hi, I have a question about protein. I've recently started working out at the gym, with a mixture of CV machines, CV classes, focused muscle classes and weights training. I barely consume any protein, though, maybe a small portion a few times a week at the very most. Should I be upping my protein intake, considering I want to focus on the weights and maybe start lifting properly in the future. As it's the beginning, I've been getting not just the normal n00b aches and pains, but feeling like I've sprained/twisted/pulled something which reduces me to hobbling :redface: I've upped my magnesium intake but I've been advised to increase protein, possibly through a supplement. I know eggs and milk are good, too. So how much do I need, when do I need it, and what should I use to get my protein? Thankyou x

Yeah I would definitely increase your protein consumption. If you are lifting you simply need it. The cheapest and by far the easiest way of getting enough is just to use a whey protein. I recommend the impact whey protein from myprotein.com and not the choc flavour.
Original post by TheJ0ker
Yeah I would definitely increase your protein consumption. If you are lifting you simply need it. The cheapest and by far the easiest way of getting enough is just to use a whey protein. I recommend the impact whey protein from myprotein.com and not the choc flavour.

Thankyou for the response! :smile: How much would you recommend per day or so?
Reply 825
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

heres level one on youtube. Not saying you should just watch it on there but taking a look might give you a better idea of whether you want to buy it.

I've never done the program properly I've only done level one and found it exhausting, never got anywhere near moving on to level 2 before I stopped. hmm maybe I should start doing this properly. From how exhausting I found it and how achey I felt the next day I can believe that actually sticking to it would get results.
Reply 826
1g of protein per lb of bodyweight
Reply 827
Original post by stayce88
1g of protein per lb of bodyweight

Hey I need some advice here please. I'm fasting for Ramadan (no food or water during daylight hours) and I can't not do it so please don't tell me not to fast. I'm trying to lose weight and I have already lost some simply by eating less and moving more but I want to keep losing until I'm satisfied. I just want to know would exercise such as cycling or jumping on the trampoline while I'm fasting work? and will the cycling help me tone up? thanks

ps Ramadan is only up until arund 20 august so I'm not really fasting for a long time or anything
Original post by such_a_lady
Thankyou for the response! :smile: How much would you recommend per day or so?

It will say between 2-3 shakes per day depending on how much you are doing, I have 2 a day but I get protein from meals too, if you aren't getting hardly any from your meals then you might be better with 3 on exercise days and 2 on rest days.
Reply 829
Original post by sameera95
Hey I need some advice here please. I'm fasting for Ramadan (no food or water during daylight hours) and I can't not do it so please don't tell me not to fast. I'm trying to lose weight and I have already lost some simply by eating less and moving more but I want to keep losing until I'm satisfied. I just want to know would exercise such as cycling or jumping on the trampoline while I'm fasting work? and will the cycling help me tone up? thanks

ps Ramadan is only up until arund 20 august so I'm not really fasting for a long time or anything

exercising would still work while your fasting but I don't think its a good idea for you to do it. Its my understanding that your not even allowed to drink water? Exercising will help to dehydrate you, use up what little energy you have and make your fast a hell of a lot harder. I would wait until after ramadan to start:smile:
Original post by boba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

heres level one on youtube. Not saying you should just watch it on there but taking a look might give you a better idea of whether you want to buy it.

I've never done the program properly I've only done level one and found it exhausting, never got anywhere near moving on to level 2 before I stopped. hmm maybe I should start doing this properly. From how exhausting I found it and how achey I felt the next day I can believe that actually sticking to it would get results.

Ive just had a look at level 1, and gave it a try. It is very hard and exhausting but it should work if i can just keep at it!
Original post by Littlemisspiglet
Hi, i was just interested to find out if anyone has tried the 30 day shred before and if they got good results? Ive been considering getting the dvd :smile: whoops i just realised i missed the r from the title and now it reads shed instead of shred! Doh :s

I see someone has already given you the link to level 1. I have the DVD, best £5 I've ever spent tbh. I absolutely love it, and actually find level 2 easier, but I haven't been brave enough to take on level 3.

I found I had really good results with it and if you commit it's totally worth it! :smile:
Original post by CaptainEllis
I see someone has already given you the link to level 1. I have the DVD, best £5 I've ever spent tbh. I absolutely love it, and actually find level 2 easier, but I haven't been brave enough to take on level 3.

I found I had really good results with it and if you commit it's totally worth it! :smile:

Im going to order the dvd now :smile: really want something thats quick to do but gets good results! Would it be ok to do along with going gym 3 times a week?!
Im going to order the dvd now :smile: really want something thats quick to do but gets good results! Would it be ok to do along with going gym 3 times a week?!

I just did this without gym sesh's so I assume yes. I used 3kg handweights the first time I did it (borrowed) but the next I opted for tin cans. lol, but yeah you'll be surprised how quickly you progress :smile:
x

I think I'll be jumping on this workout train too!
Silly question but how many days do you have to do L1 for, before moving to L2?
Original post by Foxydelic54
I think I'll be jumping on this workout train too!
Silly question but how many days do you have to do L1 for, before moving to L2?

Thats great :smile: be good to chat and encourage each other! Ive read reviews and i think most people do each level for 10 days!
Thats great :smile: be good to chat and encourage each other! Ive read reviews and i think most people do each level for 10 days!

Ah that makes sense!

Oh good idea - i find it helps to have some encouragement otherwise I'll get bored :redface:
Reply 837
Besides getting more fit it is certainly fun to do and I can recommend it to everyone!

I started a couple of weeks ago but had to stop due to an injury and some other reasons, but starting again today and really looking forward to begin again. It's just about 20 minutes each day and it really gets you sweating and the next day you can certainly feel that you worked out.

I also use it as a strength warming up before cardio workouts such as spinning and running :smile:

Good luck and have fun!
Reply 838
Original post by boba
exercising would still work while your fasting but I don't think its a good idea for you to do it. Its my understanding that your not even allowed to drink water? Exercising will help to dehydrate you, use up what little energy you have and make your fast a hell of a lot harder. I would wait until after ramadan to start:smile:

Thanks! :smile: How about if I do it an hour or so before I break my fast? Would that be possible?
Reply 839
Original post by ChloeElizabeth
Get Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

All you need is a workout mat and some light weights, like 1-2 kg each.

I do this every day and have much a better figure than when I went down the gym everyday

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

u were clearly doing something wrong in the gym then

Quick Reply

Latest