The Student Room Group

Should Gay people be able to adopt?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XcitingStuart
Sorry, but this is just depressing. Why are homosexuals genuinely being treated as second class citizens, genuinely? :frown:

"...a last resort."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it is preferable for a child to have a mother and father for their up bringing.
Original post by william walker
Because it is preferable for a child to have a mother and father for their up bringing.

Why is it preferable? As far as I know, some people who have a so called 'father' in their life would have done a lot better without them, and vice versa for some mothers. So tell me now that you think it is wrong for a child who is already without their biological parents, through neglect, abuse or death (or any other reason) to not have a family made up of two women or two men is wrong? I know that I was lucky that my parents love me, but that love did not come from the fact that they were a man and a woman, but just from their basic capability to love.

Adoption is not some way to get a child, it is a way to save a child from parents who couldn't care for them, wouldn't care for them or can't care for them. It should not be about stopping same sex couples from adopting and potentially saving a child! To say it is preferable is wrong as well, it is not preferable to have a mother and father, but it is preferable to say that a child should have a loving and supportive home, whether that be a single parent, two men, two women, or a man and a woman.
Original post by BioStudentx
When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by gay parents. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have a dad and a mum.

When I look at it from my point of view - I wouldn't want to be raised by any non-white person who isn't a billionaire. I can't say why - I just wouldn't. I don't think I have many logical reasons for it - I'd just rather have Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

It's also preferable for a child to have white and rich parents.

Ban black couples from adopting.
If nobody can or will adopt then obviously homosexuals should be able to adopt, but it should be a last resort.

Except empirical studies have shown that same-sex couples are better parents.
Original post by okay.itsdrwho
Why is it preferable? As far as I know, some people who have a so called 'father' in their life would have done a lot better without them, and vice versa for some mothers. So tell me now that you think it is wrong for a child who is already without their biological parents, through neglect, abuse or death (or any other reason) to not have a family made up of two women or two men is wrong? I know that I was lucky that my parents love me, but that love did not come from the fact that they were a man and a woman, but just from their basic capability to love.

Adoption is not some way to get a child, it is a way to save a child from parents who couldn't care for them, wouldn't care for them or can't care for them. It should not be about stopping same sex couples from adopting and potentially saving a child! To say it is preferable is wrong as well, it is not preferable to have a mother and father, but it is preferable to say that a child should have a loving and supportive home, whether that be a single parent, two men, two women, or a man and a woman.

I never said homosexuals shouldn't be able to adopt.

Actually for many people adoption is a way of getting a child. Which isn't a problem. Also adoption isn't about love, it is about have a safe and secure place to send the child.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
It's also preferable for a child to have white and rich parents.

Ban black couples from adopting.

Yes. Richer people will be able to offer a more secure place than poor people.
I never said homosexuals shouldn't be able to adopt.

Actually for many people adoption is a way of getting a child. Which isn't a problem. Also adoption isn't about love, it is about have a safe and secure place to send the child.

Yet you implied that they should never be considered if there was a straight couple able to adopt ('as a last resort')

Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it in that way, what I meant was that children should be adopted by people that are capable and willing to give a loving environment, not simply because they are a man and woman who want a quick(er) way to get a child, and not be prepared to fully accept the child as theirs. And 'sending' a child away to a safe and secure place is not the same as adoption- you could say that about any child in a care home or young offenders institute - they are environments that are made to be secure but not necessarily a home.
Except empirical studies have shown that same-sex couples are better parents.

Those are impossible because you can study the same child over the some time with two different families.
Those are impossible because you can study the same child over the some time with two different families.

Not impossible. You can compare results from different children as long as you have a good enough sample size.

It's all about the effect size and statistical significance.

Statistics 101.
Not impossible. You can compare results from different children as long as you have a good enough sample size.

It's all about the effect size and statistical significance.

Statistics 101.

Lie, damn lies and statistics. The reality is the every child is different, so trying to say homosexuals are better parents is meaningless. It doesn't matter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lie, damn lies and statistics. The reality is the every child is different, so trying to say homosexuals are better parents is meaningless. It doesn't matter.

So where's the basis of your claim heterosexual couples are more preferable?
So where's the basis of your claim heterosexual couples are more preferable?

There is no basis for it, it is just I think should be done.
Yes.
Of course they should. The ability to parent is not limited to heterosexuals.
Reply 155
This argument is the last bastion of judgemental discriminatory hatred. It's quite insidious as you can rationalise In your own mind it as 'not good for the kids'. I must confess I used to be against. It is a sign of how far society has moved that renowned bigots, like the Tories, support it - or at least have to claim to support it. This just leaves the religious brigade, thankfully now marginalised.
Because as much as I try think about it - I couldn't stand having two dads. And then imagining them kiss and stuff :frown: I know it's silly of me to be disgusted but I just am.

You have accepted you’re homophobic right? Or are you oblivious to that too?
No, gays should not be allowed to adopt.

At it's very core, adoption should be about finding the best home for foster kids. That means finding a home with a good, positive male role model and a good, positive female role model. Single adults shouldn't be adopting because that's not the best home. Gay partners shouldn't be adopting because that's not the best home.

Society should fight for unalienable rights for every person until they affect someone else. In the case of adoption, you shouldn't jeopardise a child's chance of a good upbringing just so you don't hurt gay people's feelings.
Original post by indiebigirl
You have accepted you’re homophobic right? Or are you oblivious to that too?

I'm pretty oblivious. Would depend on the definition you present to me.
Reply 159
I'm not too fond of gay people adopting or having children. I'm uncomfortable with it. They can get married though.

Uncomfortable? Why?

Quick Reply

Latest