The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
Original post by hannah_dru
I had a nervous breakdown and they refused to take it into consideration for my exams until the head of sixth had a go at them. :redface: Really?! That's so careless of them.

I guess I could've done ab initio at uni but I didn't feel the need. I still don't feel the need really but I'm thinking it might be more beneficial for the future.
Argh, how annoying! Russian looks like fun, my best friend has been trying to learn it for 20 years.

That's so mean of the exam board! :shock:

Your love for German is all-consuming :teehee: What made you choose German, over anything else, may I ask?
I'm doing Italian instead now, but it's not really my cup of tea - hopefully I can do the Russian AS next year though. If it clashes again I will be very annoyed! Wow, 20 years sounds like a long time for just "trying", I know it's very difficult but still...!
Original post by Etoile
That's so mean of the exam board! :shock:

Your love for German is all-consuming :teehee: What made you choose German, over anything else, may I ask?
I'm doing Italian instead now, but it's not really my cup of tea - hopefully I can do the Russian AS next year though. If it clashes again I will be very annoyed! Wow, 20 years sounds like a long time for just "trying", I know it's very difficult but still...!

I know, it seems like they really don't care about personal circumstances.

I chose it mainly because I didn't have the option to do another language and I knew if I dropped it that I'd regret it later on.
I would like to learn another language but I don't have the money or the time.
She's just lazy :biggrin:
Reply 1962
I know, it seems like they really don't care about personal circumstances.

I chose it mainly because I didn't have the option to do another language and I knew if I dropped it that I'd regret it later on.
I would like to learn another language but I don't have the money or the time.
She's just lazy :biggrin:

Diese Schweine!
Oh cool :smile: And it's all worked out so well :h: If you could, which other language would you learn?
From my experience...she'd do well with Italian :teehee:
Original post by Etoile
Diese Schweine!
Oh cool :smile: And it's all worked out so well :h: If you could, which other language would you learn?
From my experience...she'd do well with Italian :teehee:

Yeah I'm very pleased. I've always wanted to learn Icelandic :awesome:
Hehe I'll suggest that!
Hallo Leute!

Okay, I'm bilingual and I was thinking of doing German A-Level, I was just wondering how hard it was and if it'll be all right for me? I got A* at GCSE, but I know its quite a big jump...
Reply 1965
Yeah I'm very pleased. I've always wanted to learn Icelandic :awesome:
Hehe I'll suggest that!

Icelandic sounds so awesome! :ahee: Or Finnish... it has fifteen cases! :teeth:

Original post by DiaMerill
Hallo Leute!

Okay, I'm bilingual and I was thinking of doing German A-Level, I was just wondering how hard it was and if it'll be all right for me? I got A* at GCSE, but I know its quite a big jump...

Servus! :smile:
Jetzt mache ich AS level und ich denke, dass wenn du Grammatik geniesst oder ziemlich einfach findest, würdest du das A level in Ordnung findest :smile: Ich glaube, dass es nicht so eine große Lücke gibt :smile:
Hallo Leute!

Naturlich kann es manchmal schwierig sein :ahee:
aber es ist auch gleichzeitig unheimlich wichtig und lohnend :yep:

The fact that its often difficult is irrelevant because its also really, really fun! You should be fine :ahee:
Original post by Etoile

I like a challenge!
Hallo Leute!

bin neidig! Don't try and wing it, just because your a native speaker. It doesn't go well, according to the examiners reports for polish.

Edit: How well do you know your grammar, i.e imperfect, passive mood, reported speech etc?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by .snowflake.
bin neidig! Don't try and wing it, just because your a native speaker. It doesn't go well, according to the examiners reports for polish.

Edit: How well do you know your grammar, i.e imperfect, passive mood, reported speech etc?

Hey, I see you do German. I really really don't get that reported speech thing in german, I seen it the other day for the first time and I was like WHAT?! Could you help? haha :biggrin:
Original post by JakeE10
Hey, I see you do German. I really really don't get that reported speech thing in german, I seen it the other day for the first time and I was like WHAT?! Could you help? haha :biggrin:

hahaha. we started it in the last 20mins of the lesson on monday. I get it if its to say 'Jacob said to sam could you buy me a football'. In the 3rd person/ past it makes no sense. We're going to spend a full lesson on it after Chrimbo. if you need help NOW, ask Hannah/ Etoile.
hahaha. we started it in the last 20mins of the lesson on monday. I get it if its to say 'Jacob said to sam could you buy me a football'. In the 3rd person/ past it makes no sense. We're going to spend a full lesson on it after Chrimbo. if you need help NOW, ask Hannah/ Etoile.

Yeah we didn't really start on it but we just seen it in a text and I was like WHAT is that haha. Ok, no problem. :smile:
Original post by Etoile

Care to explain them? :^_^:

All this talk about languages reminded me that I should learn Spanish. (I´m not going for the difficult ones :wink: , I might try a more difficult one in my 20s.)

PS: Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when mentioning Latin as one of the languages you´ve learnt? I know it´s a dead language, but for god's sake the concept how Latin is tought at schools seems incredibly inefficient . I know that it makes learning other romanic languages easier, but think about the time spent on learning Latin compared to other languages. Imagine someone told you they had learnt English for years just to translate simple texts.

Also, does anyone else feel incomplete without getting a language you´re learning to C1/C2 level?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1973
Original post by Catilina
Care to explain them? :^_^:

All this talk about languages reminded me that I should learn Spanish. (I´m not going for the difficult ones :wink: , I might try a more difficult one in my 20s.)

PS: Does anyone else feel uncomfortable when mentioning Latin as one of the languages you´ve learnt? I know it´s a dead language, but for god's sake the concept how Latin is tought at schools seems incredibly inefficient . I know that it makes learning other romanic languages easier, but think about the time spent on learning Latin compared to other languages. Imagine someone told you they had learnt English for years just to translate simple texts.

Also, does anyone else feel incomplete without getting a language you´re learning to C1/C2 level?

Unfortunately the extent of my knowledge is just that there are 15 cases, my Finnish is near enough nonexistent :lol: I think I'll tackle the rest of the Germanic lot and Russian before one as difficult as that :eek:
Which languages do you know already?
My school never taught Latin :frown: I'm learning it now, and I was surprised at how dissimilar it is to Italian! But what is there that you can do with it other than that?
There is no such thing as being complete in a language, always learning more! :colone:
Original post by Etoile
Which languages do you know already?
My school never taught Latin :frown: I'm learning it now, and I was surprised at how dissimilar it is to Italian! But what is there that you can do with it other than that?
There is no such thing as being complete in a language, always learning more! :colone:

I know English, German and French (sadly only C1) +translating Latin (for 6 years). Your last sentence couldn´t be more true.
(edited 12 years ago)

Hm, I don't know, I think Latin's actually taught far better at my school than French and German. Probably because you need to understand things like cases, endings, verbs and their moods/tenses, gender, number etc much more securely than the modern foreign languages, where it seems you can get an A/A* at GCSE without knowing what the nominative case is (the post-GCSE German class worries me sometimes). And I don't think that the literature is particularly simple, some's simplified but we often do "raw" latin, as such. Yes, it's not incredibly incredibly hard but a) it's GCSE, and b) it uses lots of different and difficult types of grammar e.g. future tenses/ infinitives that don't look like what they are. Furthermore, the literary criticism element seems much more realistic (and technical!) than the stuff we do in English lit, maybe cos of the exam board, or maybe the teaching. Besides, Latin shouldn't really be compared to English because you don't need to be able to speak or listen to it in the same way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by najabri
Hm, I don't know, I think Latin's actually taught far better at my school than French and German. Probably because you need to understand things like cases, endings, verbs and their moods/tenses, gender, number etc much more securely than the modern foreign languages, where it seems you can get an A/A* at GCSE without knowing what the nominative case is (the post-GCSE German class worries me sometimes). And I don't think that the literature is particularly simple, some's simplified but we often do "raw" latin, as such. Yes, it's not incredibly incredibly hard but a) it's GCSE, and b) it uses lots of different and difficult types of grammar e.g. future tenses/ infinitives that don't look like what they are. Furthermore, the literary criticism element seems much more realistic (and technical!) than the stuff we do in English lit, maybe cos of the exam board, or maybe the teaching. Besides, Latin shouldn't really be compared to English because you don't need to be able to speak or listen to it in the same way.

You´re right, but the fact that the two different ways of teaching latin and modern languages are not being combined. Pupils should know their grammar just as well as they should be able to speak the language.
You´re right, but the fact that the two different ways of teaching latin and modern languages are not being combined. Pupils should know their grammar just as well as they should be able to speak the language.

Am I the only person who uses what she learnt with latin grammar to help with german?
Am I the only person who uses what she learnt with latin grammar to help with german?

Probably not, Latin is helpful, I just feel that it could be even more helpful if it was tought differently.

Nope, Latin is the reason I understand cases, gender, number, tenses and moods.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending