The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dej_unit
oh and also, any links for the june 2011 past paper and marks scheme :smile: thanks

I attached the pastpapers on the other other thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35444858#post35444858
Reply 61
Original post by glitterphobia
Glad you like my YouTube channel! :smile: I'm making a new one too, along with my website with extra notes on it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/OCRBiologyA2
http://learn123.co.nr

:eek: , you are AWESOME!!!!!!!! Ach, I am watching them now sooo usefull! Thank you!!
Reply 62
Original post by undertaker1
I have attached the OCR F214 June 2011 Paper+mark scheme:smile:

Ah man , thank you!! I was looking for that everywhere :biggrin:
How is everyone revising or preparing for the "suggest" questions?

There's so many of them in this paper...and about topics I don't know much about. What can I do?
Original post by montoya93
if you find a way, could you do me a massive favour and put up a download link to the part where it explains the wording of exam questions please? :smile:

yeah sure, if i can get my hands on a windows PC somewhere :tongue:
Can someone explain in simple bullet points/terms what the function of the adrenal glands are please? :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Princess Kawaii
Can someone explain in simple bullet points/terms what the function of the adrenal glands are please? :smile:

there are two adrenal glands in our body's, both above each of the kidneys

the middle of the adrenal gland is called the Adrenal Medulla. The cells in the medulla are responsible for releases the hormome Adrenaline.

you should learn the effects of adrenaline on the body

The Adrenal Cortex produces steroid(lipid) hormones. don't forget the steroid hormones can enter cells directly

the steroid hormones produced such as mineralcorticoids help control the concentration of Na and K ions in the blood

Glucocorticoids help control metabolism of carbohydrates and proteins in the liver

basically the adrenal glands are just another set of endocrine glands as they secrete the hormone directly into the blood.
Reply 67
Hey, I hate this module atm simply as i can't remember all of the content. But could anyone perhaps tell me expected questions that are likely to pop up so i can restrict my revision a little bit.

Thank Youu! :smile:
Okay, so for this exam, do we need to know the structure of the liver? As detailed fairly heavily in the official textbook? Looking at the specification I found this;

'describe, with the aid of diagrams and
photographs, the histology and gross
structure of the liver'

Does this mean we need to know about these sinusoids and canaculi etc? I was never taught all this so just wondering.
Original post by Straight up G
Okay, so for this exam, do we need to know the structure of the liver? As detailed fairly heavily in the official textbook? Looking at the specification I found this;

'describe, with the aid of diagrams and
photographs, the histology and gross
structure of the liver'

Does this mean we need to know about these sinusoids and canaculi etc? I was never taught all this so just wondering.

Yep you do...so you need to learn:
- structure of the liver
- what its made up of, the cells, three blood vessels and bile canaliculi, sinusoids etc
- the internal structure of the liver . e.g the lobules
- Role of the main structures in the liver tissue : Bile canaliculi, Kupffer cells, Central Vein, Hepatic portal vein, hepatic artery and Sinusoids

Hope that helped you :smile:
How is everyone revising or preparing for the "suggest" questions? :smile:
Original post by sumsum123
:eek: , you are AWESOME!!!!!!!! Ach, I am watching them now sooo usefull! Thank you!!

You're welcome! They're helping me too so i'm glad you like them :smile:

Hi,
I know the feeling with not understanding things and how irritating it can get when it won't stick in your head. Doesn't help that there's hardly any sites for OCR Biology either, so I've made one that has a load of notes and videos and helpful advice on if it helps?

Also, I really recommend looking at the video library I've made/YouTube, I found that seeing what's happening in a more realistic way helped a lot more than reading about it.

Original post by Tatty123
Reply 73
Original post by glitterphobia
You're welcome! They're helping me too so i'm glad you like them :smile:

They defo are! Awesome change from making notes/reading. And did you make that websit , I have been using that for like a week now!! It is ahmazingg ! :biggrin:
In questions where the number of required answers is not specified, are we allowed to give as many responses as we want?

Also, if any of the responses are wrong, does it matter, so long as one of them is right?

I always end up writing too much irrelevant information (as well as relevant) in an answer. Wondering if i'll get penalised for this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by jmillslittle
In questions where the number of required answers is not specified, are we allowed to give as many responses as we want?

Also, if any of the responses are wrong, does it matter, so long as one of them is right?

i dont think ocr use the method of negative marking so you might be able to. i think the answers listed will have to sensible i.e you cant write down- no atp is produced and then write down ATP is produced because you cant remember which is which.

other than that try and give as much as a detailed answer as possible.
Original post by undertaker1
i dont think ocr use the method of negative marking so you might be able to. i think the answers listed will have to sensible i.e you cant write down- no atp is produced and then write down ATP is produced because you cant remember which is which.

other than that try and give as much as a detailed answer as possible.

thanks
OMG i just did the jan 2010 paper and all i can say is FML
Ive been revising so much and i still flopped
Original post by roflcopter123
OMG i just did the jan 2010 paper and all i can say is FML
Ive been revising so much and i still flopped

Same, well I think it was that one :mad::s-smilie:
Original post by Bi0logical
Same, well I think it was that one :mad::s-smilie:

You have any tips on how to make a quality comeback lol?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending