The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Hahahahahaha! They're all brilliant! Such good fun and amazingly interesting! They're not easy peasy but they're definitely worth it :smile: For our Theology exam, it's a straight 3 hours... then it's OVER! :biggrin:

4 essays in an hour and a half? Harsh...

Ooh, three hour exam... I feel your pain!

The 4 essays aren't too bad actually, it's the paper where you have an hour to do one huge essay, I did a mock for that today and... it wasn't exactly perfect :rolleyes:
Original post by stargirl63
The congregation isn't old really. I'd say its very family orientated, so just a mix of everybody, including the children who go off for their little liturgy in the middle. Perhaps not Christian rap, but maybe something at least in the 21st century. It's so rubbish to try to join into hymns that no one knows.

But I have to tell you guys. Each week, one child stands up and says a prayer they wrote, and this week, one child says "Dear God, please bless everyone in the world. Amen." I found this the most sweetest thing ever! loool!

And yesssss...Lecrae is a G! "God is enough" is my favourite! I need to listen to this now!!!

Oh ok, yeh I understand. Your parish seems quite similar to mine, but talk to the music group... what hymn book do you have? We just updated to 'Laudate' from Hymns Old and New'. I sympathise with you!

That person is cute! Bless everyone in the world :biggrin: On the BBC Four documentary on Catholics a few months ago, there was a little boy who said "pray for the little bird I saw in the cave earlier this morning. Amen." It made me laugh soooo much :P

I only know 'Background' by Lecrae...
Original post by jerseymackem
Ooh, three hour exam... I feel your pain!

The 4 essays aren't too bad actually, it's the paper where you have an hour to do one huge essay, I did a mock for that today and... it wasn't exactly perfect :rolleyes:

Oh right... the most I have to do (apart from Theology) is three essays in an hour and a half...
Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Oh ok, yeh I understand. Your parish seems quite similar to mine, but talk to the music group... what hymn book do you have? We just updated to 'Laudate' from Hymns Old and New'. I sympathise with you!

That person is cute! Bless everyone in the world :biggrin: On the BBC Four documentary on Catholics a few months ago, there was a little boy who said "pray for the little bird I saw in the cave earlier this morning. Amen." It made me laugh soooo much :P

I only know 'Background' by Lecrae...

You need to listen to his songs! Lecrae is incredible. Him and Trip Lee. Both those guys I love. But I have quite a heavy taste in music, I'm one of those hip-hop, crunk, rap, type of people, so the base is crazy with all the songs I listen to. I don't know if many other people like it! I just love the play on words and the puns they use, cause it's such clever wording. Anyways, "God is enough" and "battlesong" is the best best two songs from him, I get gassed when I hear it! It's good to listen to especially during exam time, literally makes you think you can do anything.

A few lyrics from battle song for ya!

Hey put me 6 feet in the ground and watch a great escape
I promise, ain't a 6 shooter that can keep me down
My God's so official, that's a technical foul
Was engineered in my mother's womb for Gods' glory
Plenty faith in the persecution is inventory
I been spit in the face, still exhibiting grace
Kicked out many a place, just for sharing my faith
My belt tight, shoes laced, plus a breast plate
My war helmet on now I got my head straight
The battle's on but the war is over when Jesus reigns
And fo' His name I withstand the pressure and take the pain
And if they drop us, this promise, we'll take it to the grave
'Cause Heaven is my home homie I ain't local
God, by all means possible
Give me the faith to live and die for the gospel

This song is fire!
Reply 4224
I can't get into rap:colondollar:

I was just wondering if anyone had done the AQA Bacc, do you think I could put going to Mass down as enrichment?

How do you concentrate on the homily? In my defence I am usually thinking about what father said, so I end up missing the next part...
I struggle to listen to homilies but then again I have a low concentration span anyway. Always have :colondollar:
Original post by rac1

How do you concentrate on the homily? In my defence I am usually thinking about what father said, so I end up missing the next part...

I tend to read the Readings for the Mass an hour before. I do this so that when the Priest is talking I can just focus on his Homily.
Sometimes if I find myself looking around I would close my eyes but try not fall asleep! lol
And I make sure I don't fidget with anything.
Sometimes I stare at the candle at the altar or at the Tabernacle and focus my attention there. It greatly helps :smile:
yawn
:hello:

Welcome back! I trust you've been keeping well, despite your absence? :smile:

Attaching some pictures of my graduation from Oxford, which was (finally!) on 5th May. It took nearly two years because my college is THAT disorganised and there was a huge backlog of my predecessors waiting to graduate. The weather held out and my PTSD (recently diagnosed - can't remember if you know about this or not) didn't play up on the day, despite threatening to make me jump in the lake beforehand. My little sister even surprised us by turning up at my graduation tea unexpectedly, which was lovely :h:

Graduation - Hood and Certificate.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg
My priest keeps the homily pretty interesting. Some parts are boring though, I must admit, but if you don't pay attention then it doesn't make much sense. But I mean, I don't really know how I pay attention to be honest, my mind wonders around with all sorts of thoughts during mass but I still have one ear open on what's being said.
Reply 4229
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Welcome back! I trust you've been keeping well, despite your absence? :smile: Attaching some pictures of my graduation from Oxford, which was (finally!) on 5th May. It took nearly two years because my college is THAT disorganised and there was a huge backlog of my predecessors waiting to graduate. The weather held out and my PTSD (recently diagnosed - can't remember if you know about this or not) didn't play up on the day, despite threatening to make me jump in the lake beforehand. My little sister even surprised us by turning up at my graduation tea unexpectedly, which was lovely :h: Graduation - Hood and Certificate.jpg IMG_4818.jpg
Many congratulations my friend. It all happened then, despite the frustrations of delay caused by disorganisation. Wonder any of the college undergrads managed to graduate. :rolleyes: You look very impressive in your graduation gown...and I'm so pleased that your PTSD didn't mar your day.

My brother was conferred with his PhD from Imperial College in the grandeur of the Royal Albert Hall a couple of weeks ago. He was also awarded with the prize for being the undergrad post grad with the most promising potential based on his Thesis. His girlfriend who is German was most impressed saying the whole thing was like a Harry Potter moment. In Germany, they don't have the same procedures for graduation that many other european countries do - just a departmental awarding of certificates. No dressing up in fancy gowns and hoods for them. As we walked back to the Reception for canapes and champagne I said hello to a passer-by who was taking great stock of my brother who looked resplendent by way of his height and his purple and white hooded gown . This gentlemen wished me a good afternoon and as he passed, another family member asked who he was. It was the Lord Professor Robert Winston who lectures in the medical sciences faculty So close to a celebrity that I was almost a celebrity for one, short moment myself. :biggrin:

Regarding the quality of homilies: Today, my nephew was Confirmed by the diocesan Archbishop. His homily was on Pentecost and the Ascension. The way he described how the apostles were guilt-ridden because of their denial of Christ was amazing - each and every one of us could identify with times in our own lives where we had let our friends down after promising to stand by them because of the fear of disadvantageous repercussions. He really made the Gospel come alive by involving us in the psyche of Christ's followers and levelling the homily on a personal basis. He's really cool and I told him so afterwards! :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yawn
Many congratulations my friend. It all happened then, despite the frustrations of delay caused by disorganisation. Wonder any of the college undergrads managed to graduate. :rolleyes: You look very impressive in your graduation gown...and I'm so pleased that your PTSD didn't mar your day.

My brother was conferred with his PhD from Imperial College in the grandeur of the Royal Albert Hall a couple of weeks ago. He was also awarded with the prize for being the undergrad post grad with the most promising potential based on his Thesis. His girlfriend who is German was most impressed saying the whole thing was like a Harry Potter moment. In Germany, they don't have the same procedures for graduation that many other european countries do - just a departmental awarding of certificates. No dressing up in fancy gowns and hoods for them. As we walked back to the Reception for canapes and champagne I said hello to a passer-by who was taking great stock of my brother who looked resplendent by way of his height and his purple and white hooded gown . This gentlemen wished me a good afternoon and as he passed, another family member asked who he was. It was the Lord Professor Robert Winston who lectures in the medical sciences faculty So close to a celebrity that I was almost a celebrity for one, short moment myself. :biggrin:

Regarding the quality of homilies: Today, my nephew was Confirmed by the diocesan Archbishop. His homily was on Pentecost and the Ascension. The way he described how the apostles were guilt-ridden because of their denial of Christ was amazing - each and every one of us could identify with times in our own lives where we had let our friends down after promising to stand by them because of the fear of disadvantageous repercussions. He really made the Gospel come alive by involving us in the psyche of Christ's followers and levelling the homily on a personal basis. He's really cool and I told him so afterwards! :wink:

Thank you! It was quite frustrating, since almost every other Oxford college manages to be more organised than mine :nopity:

Huge congratulations to your brother and your whole family. That's an amazing achievement! Robert Winston, eh? :eek: Incredible! :awesome:

I'm glad your nephew had a great man confirming him. The confirmation group I have spent the past three months being a catechist for, are being confirmed on Tuesday! :eek3: Alas, I'm not sure we have managed to teach them much more than they came in knowing :sad: Should still be a lovely occasion though. I am handing out certificates :biggrin:
Reply 4231
:awesome:

I'm glad your nephew had a great man confirming him. The confirmation group I have spent the past three months being a catechist for, are being confirmed on Tuesday! :eek3: Alas, I'm not sure we have managed to teach them much more than they came in knowing :sad: Should still be a lovely occasion though. I am handing out certificates :biggrin:

I'm sure you've prepared them as well as the supplied material allowed for and that they are confident in receiving the sacrament. Before my nephew's confirmation I gave him some extra information on Confirmation that might not have been covered in the preparatory materials including whereabouts in Scripture confirmation was indicated both by prophesy and practice according to the teachings of Christ Himself. Not a lot of non-Catholics are familiar with the relevant texts, aside from Orthodox and Anglicans. :smile:

Our Archbishop actually mentioned how, in former years, the Archbishop who was confirming the candidates would ask each and every one of them a question about the sacrament just to ensure they had been thoroughly prepared. He said that it wasn't nearly so daunting now because that practice had been discarded...adding "And thank God for that!"

Let us know how it went and whether you managed to hand out the certificates to the right person without dropping them first! Only joking...:biggrin:
Original post by yawn
I'm sure you've prepared them as well as the supplied material allowed for and that they are confident in receiving the sacrament. Before my nephew's confirmation I gave him some extra information on Confirmation that might not have been covered in the preparatory materials including whereabouts in Scripture confirmation was indicated both by prophesy and practice according to the teachings of Christ Himself. Not a lot of non-Catholics are familiar with the relevant texts, aside from Orthodox and Anglicans. :smile:

Our Archbishop actually mentioned how, in former years, the Archbishop who was confirming the candidates would ask each and every one of them a question about the sacrament just to ensure they had been thoroughly prepared. He said that it wasn't nearly so daunting now because that practice had been discarded...adding "And thank God for that!"

Let us know how it went and whether you managed to hand out the certificates to the right person without dropping them first! Only joking...:biggrin:

Tbh I should have tried to speak more and get involved in the organising. Never had such responsibility before in a religious sense, so I found the whole thing quite daunting and kept in the shadows :colondollar: Like there was this one time that one of the other catechists was telling the kids that she didn't believe the Blessed Mother was a virgin and that she must have had sex to conceive Jesus and I was like :eek4: but said nothing :no:

The bishop that is confirming our kids always asks them their confirmation name and a few questions about their saint. So we've thoroughly prepared them for that. Some of the kids picked saints I'd never heard of and did a lot of research but others (the boys in particular) were a bit clueless. We soon whipped them into shape though :biggrin:

I must confess, I don't know the names of ALL the kids (there are 29 of them this year) so am worried about handing certificates to the wrong people :ninja: I feel more for the first communion catechists in that church though: 60 children taking their first communion this May in that parish :eek2:
June 14th will be ten years since my confirmation. My brother made his FHC on the 16th. I remember it because my grandma nearly corrected our bishop when he called my confirmation name during the actual rite - she said 'It's not it's Matthew' but quickly realised her mistake :smile:

How's everyone this week? Finish uni this week. Two exams to go.

Also had prep meeting for Lourdes yesterday, I'm off there in less than six weeks.
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
June 14th will be ten years since my confirmation. My brother made his FHC on the 16th. I remember it because my grandma nearly corrected our bishop when he called my confirmation name during the actual rite - she said 'It's not it's Matthew' but quickly realised her mistake :smile:

How's everyone this week? Finish uni this week. Two exams to go.

Also had prep meeting for Lourdes yesterday, I'm off there in less than six weeks.

Still so jealous that you're going to Lourdes. I need to find a way to get back there :moon: I really felt like I belonged there :h:

I'm good thanks. Just come back from the Harry Potter Studio Tour in Leavesden :dance:

Praying for your exams, and for anyone else here who is doing exams :jebus:
Still so jealous that you're going to Lourdes. I need to find a way to get back there :moon: I really felt like I belonged there :h:

I'm good thanks. Just come back from the Harry Potter Studio Tour in Leavesden :dance:

Praying for your exams, and for anyone else here who is doing exams :jebus:

Trust me, you will get back there - Our Lady will make sure you will :smile: She's managed to swing it for me more than a dozen times :smile:
Reply 4236
Tbh I should have tried to speak more and get involved in the organising. Never had such responsibility before in a religious sense, so I found the whole thing quite daunting and kept in the shadows :colondollar: Like there was this one time that one of the other catechists was telling the kids that she didn't believe the Blessed Mother was a virgin and that she must have had sex to conceive Jesus and I was like :eek4: but said nothing :no:

Oh, dear. Does the priest know that this catechist is not catechising according to the doctrine of the Catholic Church? This is a serious matter and he should be informed despite you not feeling able to deal with this at the time. Maybe, next time, you could have a word with her afterwards and put her straight. If she insists that such matters are her opinion, you can gently say that catechists are not there to propagate their personal opinion but to teach Catholic doctrine. And then, once she has been told, another catechist can retrace the debate and inform the confirmandi of the Church's teachings.

The bishop that is confirming our kids always asks them their confirmation name and a few questions about their saint. So we've thoroughly prepared them for that. Some of the kids picked saints I'd never heard of and did a lot of research but others (the boys in particular) were a bit clueless. We soon whipped them into shape though :biggrin:

My experience of my nephew's confirmation was that many of the candidates, both girls and boys, chose saints who I am not familiar with, or saints that would normally be selected. I asked a couple of them at the reception afterwards about their saints and why they chose them...they had obviously researched well and gave me their reasons why they felt inspired by their saints. The Archbishop talked first of all of how his experience had always being that women was the mainstay of the Church, carrying out lay-duties with much greater dedication and perserverance than men. I was really expecting him to say that he thought that women should be accepted into the priesthood and I was just waiting for the response of all present if he had. Thank God he didn't! :eek:

I must confess, I don't know the names of ALL the kids (there are 29 of them this year) so am worried about handing certificates to the wrong people :ninja:

I'm sure that you or someone else will organise it so that the order of the newly confirmed called up to receive their certificates will correspond with the order of names on the certificates. Don't worry...providing the organisation is in place, you won't have any problems.

I feel more for the first communion catechists in that church though: 60 children taking their first communion this May in that parish :eek2:

I guess the same thing applies here. Organisation, organisation, organisation. At my brother's graduation, over 2,000 graduates were called to shake hands with the Rector, and the seating plan matched with the names called out. It's all in the planning and organisation. Oops, I'm beginning to sound like a professional events organiser, aren't I? :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by yawn
Oh, dear. Does the priest know that this catechist is not catechising according to the doctrine of the Catholic Church? This is a serious matter and he should be informed despite you not feeling able to deal with this at the time. Maybe, next time, you could have a word with her afterwards and put her straight. If she insists that such matters are her opinion, you can gently say that catechists are not there to propagate their personal opinion but to teach Catholic doctrine. And then, once she has been told, another catechist can retrace the debate and inform the confirmandi of the Church's teachings.

He's my confessor so if I have the guts, maybe I'll mention it next time I meet up with him privately. I'm really hoping such things won't happen again. Like you say, we're not there to voice our own personal opinions. Lord knows I don't agree with the Church on everything but when it comes to catechising, you have to be serious about teaching what you're meant to :yes:

[quote] My experience of my nephew's confirmation was that many of the candidates, both girls and boys, chose saints who I am not familiar with, or saints that would normally be selected. I asked a couple of them at the reception afterwards about their saints and why they chose them...they had obviously researched well and gave me their reasons why they felt inspired by their saints. The Archbishop talked first of all of how his experience had always being that women was the mainstay of the Church, carrying out lay-duties with much greater dedication and perserverance than men. I was really expecting him to say that he thought that women should be accepted into the priesthood and I was just waiting for the response of all present if he had. Thank God he didn't! :eek:

I wish he had. It would have amused me, to say the least. Though I wouldn't have been there anyway, so tiz all good :biggrin:

I'm sure that you or someone else will organise it so that the order of the newly confirmed called up to receive their certificates will correspond with the order of names on the certificates. Don't worry...providing the organisation is in place, you won't have any problems.

I guess the same thing applies here. Organisation, organisation, organisation. At my brother's graduation, over 2,000 graduates were called to shake hands with the Rector, and the seating plan matched with the names called out. It's all in the planning and organisation. Oops, I'm beginning to sound like a professional events organiser, aren't I? :colondollar:

Well they've all been sat in a very specific order according to who's doing what (lots of them are doing little bits during the service), so hopefully the certificates will be all organised accordingly.

I'm sure you'd make a great events organiser :biggrin: Alas, I lack the organisation skills for such things. I think I'd quite enjoy it otherwise :yes:
The ceremony was really moving. I was so proud of the young uns and I think they were all equally moved by the service too. They all took it very seriously and some of the boys were shaking and pale white as they went up (this after having spent the entire 3 months being mouthy little so-and-sos!). The bishop was great: very gentle with them, etc. Though when they started renewing their baptismal vows, he made them do it again, saying they weren't loud enough and he couldn't hear them! :rofl:

It was a very special evening and I'm really glad I became a catechist. Hoping to do it again next year and maybe be a bit more bold and actually speak sometimes :colondollar:
Reply 4239
The ceremony was really moving. I was so proud of the young uns and I think they were all equally moved by the service too. They all took it very seriously and some of the boys were shaking and pale white as they went up (this after having spent the entire 3 months being mouthy little so-and-sos!). The bishop was great: very gentle with them, etc. Though when they started renewing their baptismal vows, he made them do it again, saying they weren't loud enough and he couldn't hear them! :rofl:

It was a very special evening and I'm really glad I became a catechist. Hoping to do it again next year and maybe be a bit more bold and actually speak sometimes :colondollar:

Thanks for your lovely account of a very special occasion for all participants, including yourself! I'm so pleased for you that it went so well, and that you want to repeat again next year.

Members of the male gender are generally far more sensitive than the female gender, and prone to greater nervousness on public occasions. If there's anyone in a group who is going to be overcome with nerves so much that they 'chunder' it is bound to be a male. Bless them...society expects them to be so strong in all areas that when they do not live up to those expectations they feel they have failed. We need to give them our fulsome support. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending