The Student Room Group

22.05.2012 - AQA GCSE English Literature Exam - HELP!

I have no idea how to answer the questions.

Can anyone give me the structure how to answer the questions in SA and B?

I want to get an A*!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What books are you doing?
Reply 2
Is this for the poetry or prose section and what books/poetry section (as said above)
Reply 3
I'm doing relationship section of anthropology.

Original post by DrSL
What books are you doing?

Original post by Heinze113
Is this for the poetry or prose section and what books/poetry section (as said above)
Reply 4
Im doing the same paper as you, short stories and of mice and men. completely stuck on how to set the answer out :frown:

any one have any predictions for the paper? :biggrin:
Reply 5
I don't know about relationships because I do character and voice but for short stories I'm guessing maybe something on childhood and growing up in either Anil or the darkness out there. For of mice and men I thinking maybe something about curley's wife. I'll probably have guessed it all wrong but who knows :smile:
Reply 6
To answer a poem question you need to write about
-themes
-language
-structure/form
-your feelings

Try and make comparisons between them rather than just separate sections about each poem. Is this ok?
Reply 7
for short stories, '100% perfect girl' hasnt come up right?
and im stuck on revising for of mice and men :frown:
Reply 8
Need help on how to structure questions about The Crucible and Of Mice & Men! Thanks though everyone. :biggrin:
Reply 9
I don't have a clue what I'm doing. FFS help me!

I am pissed off. Are teacher just told us about the symbolism, etc - not how to answer the questions.
Reply 10
B.U.M.P
Need help on how to structure questions about The Crucible and Of Mice & Men! Thanks though everyone.

What themes have you covered in crucible and what else have you covered in the crucible

Also what do you think willl come up in the exam about crucible?
anyone doing Animal Farm or Duffy poetry?
Reply 13
Is anyone doing Lord of the Flies and Mister Pip? I'm so stuck on Mister Pip, I have no idea what to do/how to structure the answers/what I'm actually supposed to write and the exam is so soon aaah! Most of our stuff has been geared towards getting like a B but ideally, I'd like to get an A*, any tips?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
For Of Mice and Men, do not hold out too much on Curley's wife popping up, last year, when I sat the exam, she was in the Foundation paper, yet my higher class had all studied for it to be her, so when a question about symbolism of the bunkhouse popped up, we all wanted to cry in our seats. AQA went quite far fetched last year and caught my whole group out, so many of us are retaking it on the 22nd. For OMAM, it's best to think of ALL possibilities now. After all, they used a bunkhouse question, right? They could ask about the symbolism of the animals, or Slim, or Candy, or even Curley. I wouldn't put my hopes up of George or Lennie popping up either as they've already been on past papers many times. Not completely ruling it out, but don't just study them two, it's definitely best to go all out. And to answer the question, generally, try and answer the actual exam question by using quotes, analysing them and at any point you state a fact, back it up with quotes, otherwise you'll lose marks if you do not back it up. I really hope I helped and I wish you all luck in the exam! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by joe263
Is anyone doing Lord of the Flies and Mister Pip? I'm so stuck on Mister Pip, I have no idea what to do/how to structure the answers/what I'm actually supposed to write and the exam is so soon aaah! Most of our stuff has been geared towards getting like a B but ideally, I'd like to get an A*, any tips?

Same, I'm re reading mister pip but I never get the questions they ask. I always have to end up writing about Matilda's Point of view. I think to get an a* you need to use PEE..so literally analyse every single thing you say

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Anyone doing An Inpector Calls?
I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck :frown:

Any thoughts on how to make them A/A* essays?
Reply 17
analyse form structure and language
Reply 18
Original post by GrantG
I have no idea how to answer the questions.

Can anyone give me the structure how to answer the questions in SA and B?

I want to get an A*!

Original post by sophieking
I'm quite confused as to what they would ask..hope it's nothing stupid which would confuse me IN the exam!

Also doing Of Mice And Men..I've been going over the context but I'm quite stuck :frown:

Even though I did My GCSE English Lit exam 3 years ago have you guys managed to get hold of a model answer that is A/A*? I found them to be extremely helpful because you can pick out the areas that they hit and then adjust yours so you know you're hitting all the assessment objectives like them. Also keep practicing with past papers as it will perfect your essay writing technique.
Reply 19
Original post by sophieking

Normally for An Inspector Calls the question will be about a character so the easiest thing to do is learn who each character represents. Also, examiners really like it when you talk about it as a play so you can describe how the stagecraft at a certain point has an effect e.g. The fact the Inspector remains standing the whole time shows that he wants to separate himself from the Birling's and everything they represent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending