Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyussabs
Think I ballsed up on my exam.

It asked me to "write in continuous prose." Me, not knowing what they meant, just wrote one long paragraph until I ran out of things to say. So my question is, how much do we get marked down for not using paragraphs? Everything else was correct, the sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, grammar etc.

It's annoying, since had they not thrown me off with that bit, I'd have written in paragraphs anyway!

This is for AA100, right? I wouldn't worry too much about it. Yeah, you'll get some marks off, but almost certainly not enough to make a difference between passing and failing. As a Stage 1 module, this module won't be considered for your degree classification, so you really just have to pass it. (I'm assuming. I don't know what the assessment strategy is for AA100. The assumption is that it's the standard 40%.)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
A200, so a level 2 course. I just wish they would clarify what they meant. If they don't want us to use bullet points (who would anyway? It's an exam) then say that.
Anyone here do the Exploring Philosophy A222 course 2015-2016 (aka, the one just finished)? If so, what did you think of the examination last week?
Exam over and onto my last two modules. I liked my exam until I downloaded it from studenthome. I wrote pages on safeguarding and poverty but don't think I actually answered the question lol.

I was looking for 55% to get a grade 3 but most likely 40%. Oh well.
Original post by seaside14
Exam over and onto my last two modules. I liked my exam until I downloaded it from studenthome. I wrote pages on safeguarding and poverty but don't think I actually answered the question lol.

I was looking for 55% to get a grade 3 but most likely 40%. Oh well.

Probably done better than you thought! Most people usually do. Now to forget until results are out!
Original post by laalNick
Probably done better than you thought! Most people usually do. Now to forget until results are out!

Oh man I wish they'd hurry up!
Original post by Leanney
Oh man I wish they'd hurry up!

Lol. When is the due by date for the results?

My advice; pour drink and drink it
Repeat as necessary until exam results forgotten! (and keep busy away from OU website ha!!!)
Lol. When is the due by date for the results?

My advice; pour drink and drink it
Repeat as necessary until exam results forgotten! (and keep busy away from OU website ha!!!)

15th July :bawling: Although the date was the 15th last year too and they actually came out on the 10th so I'm hoping that's the case this year too!

Hahaha good advice! I was planning on working 50 hour weeks in the summer to distract myself and also to save money for October onwards when I have to cut my hours down but my workplace cut overtime so I'm stuck working a measly amount of hours at the moment! Sucks.
M337 results are out right now.
I have a first class maths degree:smile:
Original post by sputum
M337 results are out right now.
I have a first class maths degree:smile:

Congratulations! :clap2::clap2:
Ha! T317 results are out as well - distinction! And that was my last module for my Open Degree! So it's a first for me as well!

I was actually just under the boundary for my EMA grade - frankly, I thought my EMA was awful - but I did have some special circumstances which they took into account. (It never fails to amuse me that clearly no-one at the OU has read any Culture novels...)
(edited 7 years ago)
yeah passed my K319 exam with grade 3 (couldn't get higher due to tmas) so on track for a 2:2!!!
Am I a terrible person if I have my Open Degree (which was more or less a straight split between Creative Writing and Design and Innovation) be a BSc (Hons)? I get to choose whether it should be that our a BA (Hons). It's probably (OK, definitely) more naturally a BA, but I do already have a BA and I don't have a BSc, so the idea of having both amuses me. I did the whole thing as mainly a hobby anyway, so there aren't any big implications either way...
Original post by Persipan
Am I a terrible person if I have my Open Degree (which was more or less a straight split between Creative Writing and Design and Innovation) be a BSc (Hons)? I get to choose whether it should be that our a BA (Hons). It's probably (OK, definitely) more naturally a BA, but I do already have a BA and I don't have a BSc, so the idea of having both amuses me. I did the whole thing as mainly a hobby anyway, so there aren't any big implications either way...

I'd pick a BSc if it were me, 'Jane Doe BA BA' looks a bit weird.
Original post by Snufkin

People might think they are a sheep! Ok, no more cheesy jokes that aren't funny off me for the rest of the day..........I'll probably only last an hour.
Original post by Snufkin

That was pretty much my thinking, too.
People might think they are a sheep! Ok, no more cheesy jokes that aren't funny off me for the rest of the day..........I'll probably only last an hour.

My cat is giving me a disapproving look because I just burst out laughing.
Congratulations! :clap2::clap2:

and to you and seaside:smile:
I chose the BA but if I already had one I'd probably choose the other.
That was pretty much my thinking, too.

My cat is giving me a disapproving look because I just burst out laughing.

I would have originally said get a BSc so you have one of both but now kind of want you to sign your names with BA BA at the end!! :biggrin:
I'm considering studying a standalone module this coming academic year with the OU, AA100 or A200. I intend to then study History at a traditional university in September 2017.

I've studied previously at a traditional university but had to drop out in the middle of first year due to health as well as academic reasons. I am wondering which of the two courses would best prepare me for a History degree.

I understand that A200 is a Stage 2 module assessed partly by exam, but my thinking was that since I will be aiming to study at Oxford the level may not be too dissimilar.

If you have completed these two modules your experiences would be welcome.
Original post by johnnycoolhair
I'm considering studying a standalone module this coming academic year with the OU, AA100 or A200. I intend to then study History at a traditional university in September 2017.

I've studied previously at a traditional university but had to drop out in the middle of first year due to health as well as academic reasons. I am wondering which of the two courses would best prepare me for a History degree.

I understand that A200 is a Stage 2 module assessed partly by exam, but my thinking was that since I will be aiming to study at Oxford the level may not be too dissimilar.

If you have completed these two modules your experiences would be welcome.

AA100 has almost no history content, if you're thinking about Oxford then A200 is the way to go. That said, OU standalone modules are very expensive and to my mind, not worth it. There is a list of free online university modules in my signature, do any of them interest you?

Quick Reply