The Student Room Group

What if Messi chose Spain?

Not sure if this sort of thread is allowed but, according to some news sources, Messi could have chosen to play for Spain because of how young he was when he first moved there.

I was just thinking, how would Spain be different if he were in the team? Would they still have won the World Cup and Euros?

A lot of people say Iniesta plays a bit like Messi does for Barca, when he plays for Spain so would that make Messi unnecessary?

I don't really have an opinion but I was interested in what other people might think.

DEAR NEGGERS: I am not forcing my opinion on you. I have not even stated an opinion. I am just trying to generate discussion on a hypothetical situation.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They would be even scarier than before. This Spain team is freakishly good and I can't really see an argument for them being weaker because they have Messi, so I'd assume they'd win the World Cup and the Euros. The majority of the Spain starting XI are Barcelona players, so Messi being added to it would only benefit Spain.
If Messi played for Spain, the front half of their team might as well just be Barcelona all over again.
Spain are a very good international team, with probably the best midfield in the world right now. But they're not really the kind of team which demolishes another team with a score like 6-0. Though if they had Messi, they probably would be.
This would kill international football probably, Spain would just ROFLSTOMP everybody :frown:

However Messi didn't do too well at the last world cup so I don't really know
Reply 4
Original post by This guy over here
This would kill international football probably, Spain would just ROFLSTOMP everybody :frown:

Got loads of assists for argentina and was their best player, how did he not do well at the last world cup? argentina's defence were terrible but argentina are a great team.
If messi chose spain, the argument of messi not being better than maradona would be over right now because he would have won a euro and a world cup.

Personally, I'd say Messi still did pretty well at the last World Cup. But his position wasn't the same as it is for Barcelona. He was more of a playmaker/midfielder rather than a centre-forward (which was really Higuain's job). So he was assisting more than he was scoring.

If he played for Spain though, he'd be surrounded by exactly the same players as in Barcelona. If he played alongside Villa, Pedro, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Fabregas, Puyol and Pique in his usual position. there'd really be no reason not to do just as well. He'd have to be really fussy to say "No, I need Dani Alves as well!"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Go us :biggrin:

I don't know that Messi would fit into a team that currently has no clear leading player, as opposed to Barcelona where the other 10 are working for him.
Reply 7
Barcelona and Spain would rule the footballing world. They share many players already and the same style of play.
Reply 8
Original post by Eldedu
Go us :biggrin:

I don't know that Messi would fit into a team that currently has no clear leading player, as opposed to Barcelona where the other 10 are working for him.

Casillas,Puyol,Xavi,Alonso,Villa

all players capable of leading and who have leadership personalities...
Reply 9
What if Hitler died at the age of six?

What if the Tories never got in to government?

What if the moon was made of cheese?
Reply 10
Original post by facdroit
Casillas,Puyol,Xavi,Alonso,Villa

all players capable of leading and who have leadership personalities...

I meant on the field within actual play, like CR at Man U or Messi at Barca

Leadership-wise, yes, everyone you said, and Ramos, Reina and Piqué to boot.
Reply 11
Would fit in perfectly by replacing Mr. Fernando "I can't score" Torres
Original post by scoutzawwar
Barcelona and Spain would rule the footballing world. They share many players already and the same style of play.

Lol wut? 10 points behind Madrid.
Original post by gunit123
Would fit in perfectly by replacing Mr. Fernando "I can't score" Torres

You mean the same Torres that didn't make Spain's last squad?
Reply 14
Original post by Manchester United

Come on...

shut up really dont make a fool of yourself.
Reply 16

Madrid... that team who can't beat Barcelona?
Original post by jam277
Got loads of assists for argentina and was their best player, how did he not do well at the last world cup? argentina's defence were terrible but argentina are a great team.
If messi chose spain, the argument of messi not being better than maradona would be over right now because he would have won a euro and a world cup.

I didn't mean he was rubbish like Gareth Barry was I meant he wasn't as prolific as he is in club football :P

I agree with the second comment :biggrin:
I didn't mean he was rubbish like Gareth Barry was I meant he wasn't as prolific as he is in club football :P

I agree with the second comment :biggrin:

Messi with spain would be Barcelona mach 2
Then even if he does win the world cup, people would still be saying, ''oh he's only THAT good because he has the xavi and iniesta around him''

Quick Reply

Latest