The Student Room Group

A2 6PH04 Physics Unit 4 'Physics on the Move' - 11th June 2012

So.... fair to say January was a flop for me!

After somehow managing to lose at least every other mark, I'm now revising hard for this paper! (And five others.... :redface:)

Anyway, in my revision I managed to compile a lot of papers etc, and was going to post them here, but I have decided to put them all together on a site for ease of access.

I've put everything that I have here on my comp so far, will scan and upload all of my revision posters from January too.

Also I really don't know who I got all of the stuff from, but if it was from you, please just let me know and I'll put a link back to your TSR profile.

http://6ph04.weebly.com

Iif you have ANYTHING, like extra practice questions and answers or something, please post them here or message me, and I can add them to the site.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

wow this is a nyc thread.....nd da website iz really helpful....dis iz my first sitting on may nd i really dont wnat to repeat....in jan xams many frnds screwed up a lot...keep posting resources...may god bless you
Reply 2
Revision Checklist here for the Further Mechanics Section:

Section One Further Mechanics

Momentum and Force
[INDENT] Use the equation p=mv [/INDENT]
[INDENT] Relate net force to rate of change of momentum in situations where the masses of the objects do not change (this is Newton's second law of Motion)[/INDENT]

Momentum and Collisions
[INDENT] Apply the principle of conservation of linear momentum to problems involving objects moving along in a straight line[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Derive and use the expression Ek=p^2/2m for the kinetic energy of particles (for particles moving much more slowly than the speed of light)[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use data to calculate the momentum of particles[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Apply the principle of the conservation of linear momentum to problems in one and two dimensions
[INDENT]o (so you need to be able to resolve forces, and speeds, using trigonometry)[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT] Explain the principle of the conservation of energy[/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]o Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Energy can be transferred from one form to another but the total amount of energy in a closed system will not change.[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use the principle of the conservation of energy to determine whether a collision is elastic or inelastic[/INDENT]
[INDENT]o Work out the total kinetic energy before (Ek1) and after (Ek2) the collision. If Ek1=Ek2, the collision is elastic, as kinetic energy is conserved in elastic collisions. If Ek1>Ek2,the collision is not elastic, as energy has been transferred to forms other than kinetic.[/INDENT]

Circular Motion 1
[INDENT] Express angular displacement in radians and in degrees , and convert between those units[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Explain the concept of angular velocity[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use the relationships ν=ωr and Τ=2π/ω[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Derive and use the expressions for centripetal acceleration a= ν2/r and a=rω2[/INDENT]

Circular Motion 2
[INDENT] Explain that a resultant force (centripetal force) is required to produce and maintain circular motion.[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use the expression for centripetal force F=ma =mν2/r[/INDENT]
Reply 3
Original post by whooshpaddy
Revision Checklist here for the Further Mechanics Section:

Section One Further Mechanics

Momentum and Force
[INDENT] Use the equation p=mv [/INDENT]
[INDENT] Relate net force to rate of change of momentum in situations where the masses of the objects do not change (this is Newton's second law of Motion)[/INDENT]

Momentum and Collisions
[INDENT] Apply the principle of conservation of linear momentum to problems involving objects moving along in a straight line[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Derive and use the expression Ek=p^2/2m for the kinetic energy of particles (for particles moving much more slowly than the speed of light)[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use data to calculate the momentum of particles[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Apply the principle of the conservation of linear momentum to problems in one and two dimensions
[INDENT]o (so you need to be able to resolve forces, and speeds, using trigonometry)[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT] Explain the principle of the conservation of energy[/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]o Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Energy can be transferred from one form to another but the total amount of energy in a closed system will not change.[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use the principle of the conservation of energy to determine whether a collision is elastic or inelastic[/INDENT]
[INDENT]o Work out the total kinetic energy before (Ek1) and after (Ek2) the collision. If Ek1=Ek2, the collision is elastic, as kinetic energy is conserved in elastic collisions. If Ek1>Ek2,the collision is not elastic, as energy has been transferred to forms other than kinetic.[/INDENT]

Circular Motion 1
[INDENT] Express angular displacement in radians and in degrees , and convert between those units[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Explain the concept of angular velocity[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use the relationships ν=ωr and Τ=2π/ω[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Derive and use the expressions for centripetal acceleration a= ν2/r and a=rω2[/INDENT]

Circular Motion 2
[INDENT] Explain that a resultant force (centripetal force) is required to produce and maintain circular motion.[/INDENT]
[INDENT] Use the expression for centripetal force F=ma =mν2/r[/INDENT]

Excellent notes. Very helpful. Good Luck dear!!
Reply 4
OMG. Thanks soooo much !! This thread is soo helpful
Reply 5
Nice one! Without a doubt this is the most daunting exam for me this summer :/
Original post by Callitoff
Nice one! Without a doubt this is the most daunting exam for me this summer :/

The average for this paper is consistently about 5% below the average for unit 5.
It is easily the hardest A2 paper of them all!

EJS
Can someone share his/her tips on how to prepare for it in the BEST way ? :smile:

Thanks =D
Reply 8
My Notes for unit 4
Reply 9
Original post by 584385
My Notes for unit 4

So can you please upload it in some other format like pdf or Ms Word 2003?
Reply 10
Upload them in pdf format hope they work:smile:
Reply 11
OMG. These notes are ah-mazing. Thanks so much :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by 584385
Upload them in pdf format hope they work:smile:

Bless you mate.
Reply 13
Did anyone solve the January 2012 paper?? :confused:
Unit 4 seemed quite manageable until I tried it out.. :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Original post by SKK94
Did anyone solve the January 2012 paper?? :confused:
Unit 4 seemed quite manageable until I tried it out.. :s-smilie:

Yeah it was really hard, there weren't many calculations and most questions seemed really long compared to the amount of marks they were worth :/
Reply 15
Protons are accelerated to high energies and then collided. Why are high energies needed?
as there is electrostatic repulsion between the two positively charged particles, high energies are needed to overcome that for strong nuclear force to take over.
Reply 17
Original post by Josh.Holloway
as there is electrostatic repulsion between the two positively charged particles, high energies are needed to overcome that for strong nuclear force to take over.

What happens then? (I am not asking the fusion process but the expirements at CERN)

What is the purpose of colliding them and overcoming strong nuclear force(s)?
(edited 11 years ago)
to reveal/study the internal substructure and mass of the particles, i think.
Reply 19
Original post by Josh.Holloway
to reveal/study the internal substructure and mass of the particles, i think.

That's right.

Latest