The Student Room Group

CCEA Biology A2:1 May 2012

Just a basic thread for discussing how everyone found it.

Note for Mods: I'm assuming as its CCEA, to my knowledge everyone does the exam at the same time and so we can discuss it? I've I'm then delete this thread.
Reply 1
Thought it was a very open exam. Questions that if you had learnt your notes, you still wouldnt know. Kidney question wasnt really specific and could answer in several ways. The peer review question? Also, for the essay...when it asked for acquired natural and artificial immunity is this when you catch a disease or is this when you are given pathogens in an injection? the wording was very confusing!
Reply 2
Original post by b3n1
Thought it was a very open exam. Questions that if you had learnt your notes, you still wouldnt know. Kidney question wasnt really specific and could answer in several ways. The peer review question? Also, for the essay...when it asked for acquired natural and artificial immunity is this when you catch a disease or is this when you are given pathogens in an injection? the wording was very confusing!

Yeh open is one word for it. Can you remind me about the kidney question, I think I just wrote about ADH even though I don't think it was relevant?

Synoptic linking like mad as well lol. Micro villi/villi I mean come on lol

For the 1st part of the essay I just regurgitated anti-body mediated immunity + artifical passive/natural passive/natural active/artifical active immunities and the advantages/disadvantage of each.
Reply 3
Original post by thetobbit
Yeh open is one word for it. Can you remind me about the kidney question, I think I just wrote about ADH even though I don't think it was relevant?

Synoptic linking like mad as well lol. Micro villi/villi I mean come on lol

For the 1st part of the essay I just regurgitated anti-body mediated immunity + artifical passive/natural passive/natural active/artifical active immunities and the advantages/disadvantage of each.

The kidney question was about the powerade. Was really annoying! Barely any of the muscle topic on it either!
Reply 4
Original post by b3n1
The kidney question was about the powerade. Was really annoying! Barely any of the muscle topic on it either!

Oh yeh, subtle advertising there lol...

Yeh I thought it was gonna be the essay, ah well at least there was a question on it.

What did you do for the Lincoln Index question? I 1/2 knew the equation so just tried for it for the hell of it and got like 1291 or something.
Reply 5
Oh yeh, subtle advertising there lol...

Yeh I thought it was gonna be the essay, ah well at least there was a question on it.

What did you do for the Lincoln Index question? I 1/2 knew the equation so just tried for it for the hell of it and got like 1291 or something.

I got it wrong. I think the answer was 366 or something...

it was meant to be first captured x second sample captured divided by the amount marked in the second sample

i did first captured-second captured divided by the marked in the second sample x 100 lol
Reply 6
It was so open!! Didn't really understand the kidney question... And what was with the Grass Hopper question?? :L
Reply 7
Original post by kathrynaye
It was so open!! Didn't really understand the kidney question... And what was with the Grass Hopper question?? :L

Oh yes the grasshopper question

"Put a net under a plant and beat it with a stick so the grashoppers fall off" lol..
Reply 8
Oh yes the grasshopper question

"Put a net under a plant and beat it with a stick so the grashoppers fall off" lol..

Lol! I said about a Pooter, totally forgot about a net lol
Reply 9
Lol! I said about a Pooter, totally forgot about a net lol

I was thinking pooter but then it said in the big description bit that the grasshopper were hard to spot, really quick and like to hop, so I thought you'd have a hard time with a pooter :tongue:

No idea for the next bit on "why did we wait a day" and all that crap lol
Reply 10
the attention disorder? WHY COULDN'T THEY JUST ASK A NORMAL SYNAPSE QUESTION!
Hey you guys, yea it was a pretty weird paper, not really like the others, the villi question was just ridiculous, the essay was nice though, Any ideas on why it was a agricultural crop ecosystem though?? all the questions juist had a dirty twist, i mean they even made plant phototropisms hard with that stupid corkscrew plant. And as for how to catch grasshoppers, who knows.
Reply 12
Original post by lopikase123
Hey you guys, yea it was a pretty weird paper, not really like the others, the villi question was just ridiculous, the essay was nice though, Any ideas on why it was a agricultural crop ecosystem though?? all the questions juist had a dirty twist, i mean they even made plant phototropisms hard with that stupid corkscrew plant. And as for how to catch grasshoppers, who knows.

I said something about there being only one Consumer...I had no clue what so ever! :L such a fail.
I think it was becasue if you looked at it. The crop made 130000kj of food, however only like three thousand was eaten by primary consumers. were was the rest going? It must have stayed in the crop for human consumption
Reply 14
I said something about there being only one Consumer...I had no clue what so ever! :L such a fail.

Yeh I said that as well, explained it by saying an agricultural environment is a controlled one or something, less consumers
I mentioned that a very small proportion was lost to decomposers, indicating that the crop was harvested before death and decay could really happen.
Reply 16
What was the difference between skeletal muscle and control in the eye? I put the eye has smooth muscle?

Also where did you say the picture was taken? i said the hand...probably wrong!
Reply 17
Original post by b3n1
What was the difference between skeletal muscle and control in the eye? I put the eye has smooth muscle?

Also where did you say the picture was taken? i said the hand...probably wrong!

I said that Skeletal muscle contraction is voluntary, whereas, the eyes muscle isn't? :L I said the picture was in a muscle but loads of people in my class said the brain lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending