The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1720
This again ^ Worrying gets you nowhere; this speaking from bad experience thing...
Original post by d123

He came back, so we're having a fairly deep discussion so I probably won't be posting here that much for the duration of it, it's taking a lot of emotional energy.

yay, there you go :smile: I hope it goes well for you :hugs:

Original post by avhhs
Don't worry about it too much :smile: . Just concentrate on having an awesome time with her :h:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S

sounds like a good plan! just hope my head listens to the advice!
Original post by Nut.
As long as you are stable now (or at least not a risk to yourself) I can't imagine it would be a problem.
CRB checks before working with vulnerable adults are generally just looking for any chance (or history) of you abusing them or being likely to do so.
If you'd been a danger to other people when you were ill it would be likely to cause a problem, but I don't think it would be in your case. Plently of people with mental health problems volunteer with charities like Rethink and Mind, for example.

Is there anybody you could ask in confidence at the place that you're looking into volunteering?

No, I was never a danger to anyone, just to myself because I was so unhappy. My friend said she'd ask there, I don't actually have a connection with the organisation. Thanks :smile:

Original post by headunderwater
Honestly it's not a problem. I have a terrible record, even some police sections and I had to do an enhanced CRB and now I'm working in a hospital, so I don't see there being any problem for you :smile:

Oh good. :smile: This makes me happy because I don't know what I'd do otherwise.

My mum doesn't think I should apply to university again until I have my alevels, but that would mean another two years at home :frown: I can't really think of anything to fill two years, it seems like a really,really long time and I'm nearly 21. I feel like my life is dripping away, the last 3 years have be taken away from me due to depression. I've looked into Voluntary work abroad but a)most cost money and b) when I can't cope with leaving the house or other basic tasks in england surrounded with family and friends, how would I cope in a country where I don't speak the language/don't know anyone? I have no self-esteem left...but I don't want to waste time being sick and doing nothing. Everywhere I'd be intrested in working need experience.

I'm going to the GP again in a couple of days. She says she's looking into meds that aren't prozac. Anybody know what it would likely be? I don't want anything with major side effects...

Hope everybody is doing okay. I write this a 4.30am and I just woke up for the day. I'm slowly fixing my sleep pattern! :tongue:
:sigh: another night awake a 5am...

I really do give up on sleeping normally, just doesn't wanna happen.

been feeling like **** since early hours as well, don't know why but my mood just plummeted again, far too many things on my mind all bringing me down then bad thoughts start coming :frown: I really, really hate this.

trying as hard as I can to focus on future, but too many negatives come up then as well, even seeing my friends and stuff I keep thinking negatively about :frown:

times like this I wish I had someone to hug or something, just need to be comforted but I know that's not gonna happen either.

plus im probably being stupid getting my hopes up about that girl, I will no doubt find someway to **** that up when I see her.

urgh, really not good, really not good thoughts especially atm.
Original post by SciFiBoy
:sigh: another night awake a 5am...

I really do give up on sleeping normally, just doesn't wanna happen.

been feeling like **** since early hours as well, don't know why but my mood just plummeted again, far too many things on my mind all bringing me down then bad thoughts start coming :frown: I really, really hate this.

trying as hard as I can to focus on future, but too many negatives come up then as well, even seeing my friends and stuff I keep thinking negatively about :frown:

times like this I wish I had someone to hug or something, just need to be comforted but I know that's not gonna happen either.

plus im probably being stupid getting my hopes up about that girl, I will no doubt find someway to **** that up when I see her.

urgh, really not good, really not good thoughts especially atm.

At least you got the balls to plan seeing her and tell her how you feel (im guessing?), thats a lot further than i normally get lol.

I know how hard it can be to block out the negative thoughts, its got to a point now where i dont even start thinking of going to bed until about 4am, at the earliest.

The way i sometimes cope is imagining whole new scenarios and worlds in my head, really thoroughly. I imagine the people that live their, their beliefs, their history, their world, their conflicts etc. Sometimes i conjure myself into that world also, obviously as some kind of hero or something. It's some pretty extreme/sad escapism, but it gets me to stop thinking about reality long enough to doze off.
Original post by Meaty_man
At least you got the balls to plan seeing her and tell her how you feel (im guessing?), thats a lot further than i normally get lol.

I know how hard it can be to block out the negative thoughts, its got to a point now where i dont even start thinking of going to bed until about 4am, at the earliest.

The way i sometimes cope is imagining whole new scenarios and worlds in my head, really thoroughly. I imagine the people that live their, their beliefs, their history, their world, their conflicts etc. Sometimes i conjure myself into that world also, obviously as some kind of hero or something. It's some pretty extreme/sad escapism, but it gets me to stop thinking about reality long enough to doze off.

to see her, yep, to tell her how I feel? not so much, I mean she already knows :tongue: I kinda got drunk the night after our date and told her and that's when she said she wanted to be friends for now, but idk, she seems really keen to see me and stuff, is confusing :/

very :frown: I tend to sleep during the morning/early afternoon then up rest of the day and all night atm, my mood seems to either just be crap all that time or be good for a bit of that time and then crash :frown:

I don't really cope at all well atm, just end up spending 99% of my time lying in bed looking at either my laptop screen or my tv :/ is a problem really but I have no motivation at all for doing other things most of the time, I mean I went out with my dad on Saturday and that's about it for the past month or so
Slept for 16 hours yesterday, haven't slept at all tonight... :sigh: What is going on with my sleeping pattern?! It's getting ridiculous.
Original post by SciFiBoy
to see her, yep, to tell her how I feel? not so much, I mean she already knows :tongue: I kinda got drunk the night after our date and told her and that's when she said she wanted to be friends for now, but idk, she seems really keen to see me and stuff, is confusing :/

very :frown: I tend to sleep during the morning/early afternoon then up rest of the day and all night atm, my mood seems to either just be crap all that time or be good for a bit of that time and then crash :frown:

I don't really cope at all well atm, just end up spending 99% of my time lying in bed looking at either my laptop screen or my tv :/ is a problem really but I have no motivation at all for doing other things most of the time, I mean I went out with my dad on Saturday and that's about it for the past month or so

i've been doing the same the last few days...it sucks. You seeing a therapist, doing councilling, on meds or seen your GP recently? If you've been stuck lying on ur bed for over a week you really need to do something to change it, cause it wont fix itself, seems nothing ever fixes itself these days >_> It could be painful or tough to do something about it, but its gotta be better than being unable to do anything al day. :hugs:

Original post by Anonymous
Slept for 16 hours yesterday, haven't slept at all tonight... :sigh: What is going on with my sleeping pattern?! It's getting ridiculous.

I slept for around the same the other night....but im already tired again :| Out of curiosity, how much have u been eating recently, and how much caffeine/sugary drinks you been drinking? I get the feeling that my eating and drinking habits are making my depression related sleeping problems a lot worse :\
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Meaty_man
i've been doing the same the last few days...it sucks. You seeing a therapist, doing councilling, on meds or seen your GP recently? If you've been stuck lying on ur bed for over a week you really need to do something to change it, cause it wont fix itself, seems nothing ever fixes itself these days >_> It could be painful or tough to do something about it, but its gotta be better than being unable to do anything al day. :hugs:

waiting list for therapy :sigh: seeing my GP again on Friday, fortnightly appointments atm cause im coping so well :rolleyes: on Venlafaxine 75mg a day since last GP appointment (Friday before last), I try to get myself to do things, but mostly nothing happens :frown: went out with my dad on Saturday night but that's it for best part of a month...yeah, just need to find something I can motivate myself to do really :s-smilie:
Reply 1729
Been up since 3am, feel pretty good though. Tidy room, cut grass to gym, gym and then hop on a coach at 2pm. At least I have stuff to do for once!
Original post by Anonymous
If ANYONE needs anything please say something and I'll PM them my email add. I've been through this and the best thing for me is always helping others. You're never in a hopeless situation. Bless you all xxx

Can you PM me please?
heh, actually can't sleep then it seems.

at least the thoughts keeping me awake were good ones, though perhaps troubling on some levels :/
Everyone on my course hands in their final essays today. Meanwhile, I haven't even planned mine, deadline extended by 3 weeks. Naturally, I'll be keeping well away from their celebrations.

Can't wait to leave this place. Decided I don't want to stay in contact with anyone from here.
But what next? I've been too busy trying to get through my degree I've ignored making plans. Damn 'The Future'.

Safe to say I've ****ed up again.
:frown:

So tired and anxious. Why do people annoy me so much? Docs in half an hour too.
Original post by sunfowers01
:frown:

So tired and anxious. Why do people annoy me so much? Docs in half an hour too.

Many people are idiots tbf. The only way to overcome them is to remain 100% calm at all times and go on in this way, reaching your goals and realising how invisible they should be to you. :hugs:
Reply 1735
Have been sitting here crying for the last half hour cos the most likely diagnosis for my oldest guinea pig is liver cancer:cry2:. He has got me through some very tough times, he has been my reason to get out of bed for the last 5 years, someone to cuddle when I'm sad and to lick the tears off my face when I cry, at times he was the only other living thing I wanted around me and he has had endless patience with me when I pick him up for a cuddle and to cry on. He has looked after me all this time and now there is very little I can do for him.

I got him and his friend after my care coordinator at the time suggested getting a pet to give me a reason to get up and go out (to the shop for pet food) and it was the best suggestion she could have made. I worked harder to get over my anxiety and agoraphobia so I could go to go to the shop to buy them veggies myself instead of sending someone else, I got out of bed in the morning to feed them, they sparked a slight guinea obsession and led to me volunteering for a charity which got me out of the house and eventually back into work. The thought of losing one of my original pair is devastating but nobody seems to get how much he has helped me though the bed times and that upsets me too.
Reply 1736
Original post by Wheek
Have been sitting here crying for the last half hour cos the most likely diagnosis for my oldest guinea pig is liver cancer:cry2:. He has got me through some very tough times, he has been my reason to get out of bed for the last 5 years, someone to cuddle when I'm sad and to lick the tears off my face when I cry, at times he was the only other living thing I wanted around me and he has had endless patience with me when I pick him up for a cuddle and to cry on. He has looked after me all this time and now there is very little I can do for him.

I got him and his friend after my care coordinator at the time suggested getting a pet to give me a reason to get up and go out (to the shop for pet food) and it was the best suggestion she could have made. I worked harder to get over my anxiety and agoraphobia so I could go to go to the shop to buy them veggies myself instead of sending someone else, I got out of bed in the morning to feed them, they sparked a slight guinea obsession and led to me volunteering for a charity which got me out of the house and eventually back into work. The thought of losing one of my original pair is devastating but nobody seems to get how much he has helped me though the bed times and that upsets me too.

:hugs:

All the best for your guinea pig and hope it all turns out well.
Original post by Wheek

So sorry about your guinea pig, it must be really hard for you. Losing a pet is always hard particularly when they've had such a positive impact on your life. Just remember you have every right to be upset and I'd ignore anyone who doesn't appreciate devastating this is for you :hugs:
Can't take lack of sleep any more. Can't take sleeping pills either. What do I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1739
All my friends have just finished their first exam at uni and I am stuck here in a different city feeling like absolute ****e, oh the joys of life... :cry2:

Latest