The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham for an international student?

I'm concerned that I may not have much to do since Durham is a rather small city and I do not drink or enjoy nightclubs.

I'm an international student, and I hear it's difficult for intl students to make a good group of friends in their first year. True? Even at St Mary's (which I hear is more international)?

Durham is aesthetically lovely but I would hate to put myself in a socially close environment
Hmm, if you're willing to integrate with the predominantly British student base then it would be okay, but there aren't that many international students at Durham. East Asian international students are one of the more common groups as far as I've been able to tell. Apart from drinking and a few night clubs there really is not that much to do in the city. There are many student-run societies which are your best bet for anything interesting to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
How hard is it for Americans to get into Durham ? Id like to go into the politics track , I just dont know how difficult it is to get in to .
Reply 3
Original post by RachelEliza13
How hard is it for Americans to get into Durham ? Id like to go into the politics track , I just dont know how difficult it is to get in to .

I applied for politics this year and, seeing as I got an unconditional to Durham but was rejected at some US schools of a similar caliber, I would say it is not incredibly difficult to get into if you have good AP/ACT scores.
Reply 4
Original post by NAB
I'm concerned that I may not have much to do since Durham is a rather small city and I do not drink or enjoy nightclubs.

I'm an international student, and I hear it's difficult for intl students to make a good group of friends in their first year. True? Even at St Mary's (which I hear is more international)?

Durham is aesthetically lovely but I would hate to put myself in a socially close environment

I'm assuming you're talking about 2012 entry and hold an offer? Hm... If not I would definitely visit. It depends on where you come from of course, but I am an international student at Durham and found the atmosphere (including the size of the town) so unpleasant that I have decided to leave...

No college is really "more international" though. It isn't hard to make friends if you make the effort. You would encounter the same problem/cultural difference at any English university. The way of life, the size of the town, etc. are far more of an issue - and the only way to make a good decision is to visit.
(edited 11 years ago)

I recieved an unconditional this year with 3 ap's (2 5's and a 4) and 2070 SAT's. As long as you are in that range, and really focus on politics in your classes and personal statement you should be fine. Good luck!
Original post by luceyinthesky8
I recieved an unconditional this year with 3 ap's (2 5's and a 4) and 2070 SAT's. As long as you are in that range, and really focus on politics in your classes and personal statement you should be fine. Good luck!

Oh my gosh thats so comforting thank you ! Ive gotten one 4 and one 5 and il be doing my sat in october so hopefully i get along the same ! but im also taking 6 ap's next year two are government and one is pyschology so i hope that helps ! do you mind if i ask you a few other questions ? maybe through private message or something ?
Oh my gosh thats so comforting thank you ! Ive gotten one 4 and one 5 and il be doing my sat in october so hopefully i get along the same ! but im also taking 6 ap's next year two are government and one is pyschology so i hope that helps ! do you mind if i ask you a few other questions ? maybe through private message or something ?

Definitely! I am officially going to Durham next year and I already visited so ask any questions you need :smile:
Reply 8
NAB
OP
Original post by z0tx
I'm assuming you're talking about 2012 entry and hold an offer? Hm... If not I would definitely visit. It depends on where you come from of course, but I am an international student at Durham and found the atmosphere (including the size of the town) so unpleasant that I have decided to leave...

No college is really "more international" though. It isn't hard to make friends if you make the effort. You would encounter the same problem/cultural difference at any English university. The way of life, the size of the town, etc. are far more of an issue - and the only way to make a good decision is to visit.

I see. I wish I could visit but it's a long way and I couldn't make the trip unfortunately.

Most people from my country who studied at Durham say its size and its location made it a bit more difficult to adjust, so I should probably take their advice since they come from the same environment.

Thanks for the input :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest