The Student Room Group

Is further maths AS enough?

I plan on either doing Chemical Engineering or Further Maths therefore my A levels are Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics? Depending on which subject(s) I enjoy most I will drop one of them and take us AS Further Maths.

Is an AS in Further Maths enough for a degree in Chemical Engineering or Economics?
Reply 1
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I plan on either doing Chemical Engineering or Further Maths therefore my A levels are Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics? Depending on which subject(s) I enjoy most I will drop one of them and take us AS Further Maths.

Is an AS in Further Maths enough for a degree in Chemical Engineering or Economics?

Depends on a number of things from the University to your personal statement. But yes, you can get into some very good universities to do Chemical Engineering or Economics without even AS Further Maths, your subjects are already strong enough, but if you have an interest in Further Maths and can handle the workload on top of 3 A Levels, then go for it! :smile:
Yh thanks but I don't wanna do it unless it really adds any benefits or makes it easier to get an offer for uni.
Reply 3
Yh thanks but I don't wanna do it unless it really adds any benefits or makes it easier to get an offer for uni.

Well it's a very strong subject, but standard Maths is enough as you're not doing a Maths degree.
As long as your statement is good, i.e. get some work experience, then you have nothing to worry about, just get the grades in them other subjects.
Reply 4
my friend is doing mechanical engineering atm 1st year and she said its quite a lot of maths in engineering whether ur doing chemical, civil etc further maths would help but im sure there will be classes for u to catch up on at ur chosen university :smile:
Original post by Estelle123
my friend is doing mechanical engineering atm 1st year and she said its quite a lot of maths in engineering whether ur doing chemical, civil etc further maths would help but im sure there will be classes for u to catch up on at ur chosen university :smile:

Oh thanks for the info :smile:. I'm not able to do Further Maths because the school that I am at does not currently offer it. Will I be penalised when applying to say a 'top' uni because of this?
I think you should take it, many top universities would prefer it and you could do yourself a favor in the long term by taking it.
in an engineering degree you will repeat this content anyway , but it's not exactly going to hurt your admissions chances to do it now
Original post by fortransexual
in an engineering degree you will repeat this content anyway , but it's not exactly going to hurt your admissions chances to do it now

What this guy with the engineering related username said
Reply 9
Yes you should. They won't penalise you if u didnt have the chance to do it, but if you self taught it, it's goo because it shows ur mathematically capable and can compete with other students and it shows you are determined and dedicated and passionate because u sel studied. Also, if you fail, you can just blame it on the fact that you self studied.
In all honesty, I'm about to self study FP1 and its easy so far, I already did s1 and it has no value to engineering but it is easy - but unis won't look at I for engineering. Apparently D1 is easy but long, and you have to use a method which takes 20 mins to sort out some words in alphabetical order...

I would opt to do just FM AS and take FP1 (required for AS qualification) and mechanics modules...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reddish
Yes you should. They won't penalise you if u didnt have the chance to do it, but if you self taught it, it's goo because it shows ur mathematically capable and can compete with other students and it shows you are determined and dedicated and passionate because u sel studied. Also, if you fail, you can just blame it on the fact that you self studied.
In all honesty, I'm about to self study FP1 and its easy so far, I already did s1 and it has no value to engineering but it is easy - but unis won't look at I for engineering. Apparently D1 is easy but long, and you have to use a method which takes 20 mins to sort out some words in alphabetical order...

I would opt to do just FM AS and take FP1 (required for AS qualification) and mechanics modules...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the input, but I decided to do FM AS at the start of the year :smile:, the modules I did were FP1 M1 M2, if you wanna know anything about them just give me a shout.
Reply 11
Thanks for the input, but I decided to do FM AS at the start of the year :smile:, the modules I did were FP1 M1 M2, if you wanna know anything about them just give me a shout.

Yeah I'm doin the exact same modules :smile: did M1 already, starting FP1 and M2 soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending