The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Chinese Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0950857211/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1373455555&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX112_SY192

We used this textbook in first year Chinese, it's vocab and speeches/presentations etc. it's the base for all the classes but you get loads of sheets on grammar etc to compliment the textbook. It's also really old, so thrown in with all the useful vocab you get a few gems like words to do with soviet Russia and the liberation army etc :biggrin:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Roxas
Hey, you are in the same boat I was then! :smile: if you are coming to Sheffield in the first week you get given a booklet thing as an assignment that looks huge, but most of it just reading about how Uni works with a few little tasks, it's kind of the gentle ease in they give you, a few characters etc.

If you've been told what textbook you are using, you could order that and look through lesson 1, or try any of those free online things like rocket Chinese or the istartchinese app.

I didn't do anything beforehand so I'm not sure what to suggest. Oh actually they sent out a reading list with some books on which I got, but they weren't language books, history/culture etc.

Maybe try getting used to the sound of Chinese, watch things like house of flying daggers or Mulan, but in Chinese with English subs. You won't understand the Chinese if you're a beginner but just hearing the sounds will help with pronounciation at the beginning, and you may start to recognise words that come up often etc.

Not really sure what else to suggest, sorry!

I've personally had some great experience with Rocket Chinese - the paid version is extremely worthwhile. Unlike Rosetta Stone (which is grossly marked up due to all their advertising and marketing) it actually focuses on what's important. Chinese is very different from Latin-based languages but other software like RS don't take that into account.

Rocket Chinese on the other hand does, and it's been really effective for me. This reviewer puts it really well: http://www.reviewspanel.com/rocket-chinese/
I'm Korean Studies but a couple years ago I tried self-teaching a bit of Japanese, and had the same experiences as above. Rosetta Stone is incredibly useless for EA languages, and I got Rocket Japanese and it seemed to be pretty good. I imagine it's the same or similar for Chinese.
I'm not sure if people will see this, but I plan on applying to sheffield next year to do Chinese with business management and I want to know if I'm required to know a language beforehand, for example and a-level or gcse??
Original post by katyrxse
I'm not sure if people will see this, but I plan on applying to sheffield next year to do Chinese with business management and I want to know if I'm required to know a language beforehand, for example and a-level or gcse??

nope no language needed
Original post by ZombieYoshi
nope no language needed

Ah, that's good then ^_^ I was really panicking that you may need one.

No, you don't need to know a language beforehand. Quite a few of my year didn't have any language. Chinese Studies goes completely from scratch, so you have nothing to worry.

If you have any questions about Chinese at Sheffield, just drop me a message
Original post by super_kawaii
No, you don't need to know a language beforehand. Quite a few of my year didn't have any language. Chinese Studies goes completely from scratch, so you have nothing to worry.

If you have any questions about Chinese at Sheffield, just drop me a message

Ah thank you! ^_^ I was worrying that I may have to do a third year at college, because I didn't have one. ;-;
Ah thank you! ^_^ I was worrying that I may have to do a third year at college, because I didn't have one. ;-;

No, if they wanted you to have a language they would have specified on the site. For Chinese and Business they only specify B in GCSE Maths. Your A Levels can be in any subjects

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=TN122016#qualifications

Compare it to Chinese and French for example. If you were required to have a language A Level, the qualifications page would look like this

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=T1R12016#qualifications

I'm a 3rd year Chinese with Japanese student so I'm always here to help
Original post by super_kawaii
No, if they wanted you to have a language they would have specified on the site. For Chinese and Business they only specify B in GCSE Maths. Your A Levels can be in any subjects

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=TN122016#qualifications

Compare it to Chinese and French for example. If you were required to have a language A Level, the qualifications page would look like this

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=T1R12016#qualifications

I'm a 3rd year Chinese with Japanese student so I'm always here to help

Fair enough, that's good then. :') How hard is it to pick up Chinese? I've heard it's quite difficult at first. I tried to self-teach myself but I found it difficult as I was learning Korean at the same time so I got confused~ :L
If you are learning japanese, you are learning chinese. Japanese is a language derived from chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough, that's good then. :') How hard is it to pick up Chinese? I've heard it's quite difficult at first. I tried to self-teach myself but I found it difficult as I was learning Korean at the same time so I got confused~ :L

It can be a bit intimidating at the start, especially with tones, but most people get the hang of it quite quickly. First year's really all about getting everyone up to the same speed as, in my class, there was one guy who'd studied Chinese A Level, one girl who'd lived in China for a bit and I'd self studied a bit, whereas everyone else was a complete beginner. The teachers realise this and are all really helpful and supportive.

Year abroad's really where people start to split into ability groups, as some people carry on working hard whereas others get lazy and hardly improve!

Original post by HucktheForde
If you are learning japanese, you are learning chinese. Japanese is a language derived from chinese.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. While Japanese does use Chinese characters and borrow some words from Chinese, they're two completely unrelated languages, with different pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar. Chinese is a Sino-Tibetan language whereas Japanese is a Japonic language with debated links to the Altaic language family, which includes Korean. So, you're not learning the same language, but two completely different and unrelated languages.
Hello guys, i'm not sure if this has already been mentioned and I am too lazy to look through all of the messages on this forum, myself and lots of other people have set up a Facebook group to allow everyone to get to know each other before September and also for any questions to be answered by current students.

Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/1529385583987565/ :P

Hopefully you will get a speedy response!
Reply 173
I will be studying Business Management and Chinese this year and i wanted to bring this thread back to life, so is there anyone else doing the same course or something similar??? :smile:
Original post by Sxphki
I will be studying Business Management and Chinese this year and i wanted to bring this thread back to life, so is there anyone else doing the same course or something similar??? :smile:

We have a SEAS Newcomers 2016 group chat if you want to join-look up 'SEAS Newcomers 2016' on FB and it'll be there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending