The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Jobs in York

Does anyone know if there are any decent jobs in York, I'm looking to go to Uni in September and I'm thinking I'll probably need to get a job while I'm there
Reply 1
I am also thinking about getting a job alongside.
I heard they are really bad paid though?

In Austria I was working alongside school and got 360 Eur p.m. for 10 hours / week.
How are typical student-jobs in York paid compared to that?
University of York
York
If possible, head up a little while before term and start applying for cafes/shops/whatever you can see, before everyone arrives and starts doing the same. Look into the designer outlet or monk's cross if you're willing to travel.

Chr0n, that's slightly higher than minimum wage in the UK. You should be getting roughly that or maybe a little lower.
Reply 3
Thank you.
Do you know if it is possible to do a job term time only?
As I want to take internships etc. during the summer holidays.

What about easter and christmas?

EDIT: Also does anyone have experience with the York Temp Pool?
https://jobs.york.ac.uk/wd/plsql/wd_portal.show_job?p_web_site_id=3885&p_web_page_id=147243

like how many assignments do you usually get, how much you would get on average per month?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Look into cleaning at the hospital, they advertise for it every so often and its really good money. I work 6 hours a week and get £350ish a month.
Reply 5
Original post by Shelly_x
Look into cleaning at the hospital, they advertise for it every so often and its really good money. I work 6 hours a week and get £350ish a month.

Do you also work during easter and christmas break? Do you get vacation / un-paid leave?
Reply 6
Original post by Chr0n

Do you also work during easter and christmas break? Do you get vacation / un-paid leave?

Yes I work every weekend. You get 7 weekends off a year, which is pretty good imo. You'll be hard pressed to find a job that will let you go home for all of easter and christmas unless it is only a casual job.
Reply 7
Original post by Shelly_x
Yes I work every weekend. You get 7 weekends off a year, which is pretty good imo. You'll be hard pressed to find a job that will let you go home for all of easter and christmas unless it is only a casual job.

Yer that's what makes it so hard. Though I guess I could live with paying a 39-week let and staying over easter and christmas. I guess summer break is going to be more of a problem :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest