The Student Room Group

What do you think of male primary school teachers?

Is it stupid for a man to want to be a primary school teacher? I want to be either a secondary school teacher or primary school. The latter seems to be a bit weird for a male? Opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't see anything wrong with it really. If that's what you want to be then go for it.
Reply 2
i think they are incredibly brave to do that job in today's hysterical climate...

only about 1 in 20 primary teachers is male... even fewer classroom assistants.

good luck to them
Reply 3
perfectly ok,

although your location of 'your mum' doesn't inspire confidence in you.
Reply 4
Original post by Axion
perfectly ok,

Oops didn't notice that :biggrin: I was TSRaped last week :P
Reply 5
Nothing. There are some hysterical wackos who seem to think that any man who wants to work with children must be paedophille. But their opinions and hysteria should be treat as the BS that they are.

We're meant to have equality between men and women nowadays are we not. So if a man wants to be a primary school teacher let him, and leave your unfounded prejudices at home.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think there's anything wrong with it :smile:
I remember having a male teacher in year 4 and year 6- it was never an issue for anyone
I'm doing Primary Ed. at Uni in September, and I've had years of experience in a primary school, and I was so shocked at the lack of males teaching. I can kind of understand that people see it as a female dominated profession, but that doesn't mean that men aren't capable. I guess a lot of the time, a man who is a primary school teacher can be mocked, which is sad really. One of my best teachers from my Yr 4, was male.
Reply 8
Original post by ihaveyourcat
I remember having a male teacher in year 4 and year 6- it was never an issue for anyone

That's middle school? :B
Is the ratio that low? Swear nearly half my teachers at primary school were male.
I think it's great that men want to be primary school teachers, and a real shame that more don't. One of the reasons that boys achieve less well in school is down to the lack of good male role models, and having more (good) male primary school teachers can only help with this.
Best primary school teacher I ever had was a bloke.
Reply 12
There's absolutely nothing "weird" about it. I actually think that this perception of male primary teachers is damaging the field, because it turns many would-be great male teachers away.
Reply 13
Apparently it's easier to get a job as a primary teacher if you're male once you're qualified. Positive discrimination and all that.
It's actually really sad that we have a culture where male primary school teachers are rare and seen as 'weird'. I think it's probably unhelpful for boys to have nothing but female teachers, and it's absolutely sickening that our society is immediately suspicious of any male that takes an entirely healthy interest in the wellbeing and education of children.
Reply 15
Original post by GrantG
That's middle school? :B

For schools dividing into infants and juniors before secondary school then you could term it middle school. 'Middle' and 'High' school are really more American phrases though aren't they?

'Primary' school covers the foundation stage and Key stages 1 and 2 so pretty much reception through to year 6.

To get back to the real topic though....I see no issue with male primary teachers. I've worked with several good ones, have an uncle who retired from teaching upper key stage 2 after something like 40 years of teaching and see plenty of great male student teachers on my course. During my own primary education I had two male teachers - one was great and one was awful. In the same way that there are good and bad female teachers you will see both ends of the spectrum with the men. Gender is irrelevant to your ability to be a teacher.
nothing wrong with it at all :smile:
i go down to a primary school most friday afternoons as part f a school thing we do on fridays, theres a few male teachers there, and ive had male primary teachers in my time too :smile: just be prepared to work in a more female dominated field!

i considered primary teaching.. but decided on design! i think i want to work with brownies or something when im older and out of uni, just because i enjoy it.. well i do it now too, and hope to continue!
Reply 17
Best primary teacher i ever had was a guy. We all loved him :biggrin:
Don't think its weird, sure with secondary school its probably more 'fun' in terms of the stuff you're teaching because its more challenging and nearer to adult-level. But then again with secondary schools, you get alot of pricks who mess around and generally try to make your life as a teacher miserable as hell.
Reply 19
Original post by RHCPfan
Don't see anything wrong with it really. If that's what you want to be then go for it.

Original post by the bear
i think they are incredibly brave to do that job in today's hysterical climate...

only about 1 in 20 primary teachers is male... even fewer classroom assistants.

good luck to them

Original post by Axion
perfectly ok,

Original post by limetang
Nothing. There are some hysterical wackos who seem to think that any man who wants to work with children must be paedophille. But their opinions and hysteria should be treat as the BS that they are.

We're meant to have equality between men and women nowadays are we not. So if a man wants to be a primary school teacher let him, and leave your unfounded prejudices at home.

Original post by ihaveyourcat

Original post by buildalegohouse
I'm doing Primary Ed. at Uni in September, and I've had years of experience in a primary school, and I was so shocked at the lack of males teaching. I can kind of understand that people see it as a female dominated profession, but that doesn't mean that men aren't capable. I guess a lot of the time, a man who is a primary school teacher can be mocked, which is sad really. One of my best teachers from my Yr 4, was male.

Original post by LemonLizards
Is the ratio that low? Swear nearly half my teachers at primary school were male.

Original post by seanfromtheblock
I think it's great that men want to be primary school teachers, and a real shame that more don't. One of the reasons that boys achieve less well in school is down to the lack of good male role models, and having more (good) male primary school teachers can only help with this.

Original post by TheGrandmaster
Best primary school teacher I ever had was a bloke.

Original post by Tycho
There's absolutely nothing "weird" about it. I actually think that this perception of male primary teachers is damaging the field, because it turns many would-be great male teachers away.

Original post by plimsolls
Apparently it's easier to get a job as a primary teacher if you're male once you're qualified. Positive discrimination and all that.

Original post by Chumbaniya
It's actually really sad that we have a culture where male primary school teachers are rare and seen as 'weird'. I think it's probably unhelpful for boys to have nothing but female teachers, and it's absolutely sickening that our society is immediately suspicious of any male that takes an entirely healthy interest in the wellbeing and education of children.

Original post by Sazzle4
For schools dividing into infants and juniors before secondary school then you could term it middle school. 'Middle' and 'High' school are really more American phrases though aren't they?

'Primary' school covers the foundation stage and Key stages 1 and 2 so pretty much reception through to year 6.

To get back to the real topic though....I see no issue with male primary teachers. I've worked with several good ones, have an uncle who retired from teaching upper key stage 2 after something like 40 years of teaching and see plenty of great male student teachers on my course. During my own primary education I had two male teachers - one was great and one was awful. In the same way that there are good and bad female teachers you will see both ends of the spectrum with the men. Gender is irrelevant to your ability to be a teacher.

Original post by littlemissmidget123
nothing wrong with it at all :smile:
i go down to a primary school most friday afternoons as part f a school thing we do on fridays, theres a few male teachers there, and ive had male primary teachers in my time too :smile: just be prepared to work in a more female dominated field!

i considered primary teaching.. but decided on design! i think i want to work with brownies or something when im older and out of uni, just because i enjoy it.. well i do it now too, and hope to continue!

Original post by Lumos_Nox
Best primary teacher i ever had was a guy. We all loved him :biggrin:

Original post by internet tough guy
Don't think its weird, sure with secondary school its probably more 'fun' in terms of the stuff you're teaching because its more challenging and nearer to adult-level. But then again with secondary schools, you get alot of pricks who mess around and generally try to make your life as a teacher miserable as hell.

What GCSEs do you need? 5 A-C including core science, Eng Lang and Maths ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending