The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
RE: OJ - its one from Sainsbury's that you get in cartons. I always buy the No Added Sugar ones though.

RE: nuts - surely they are full of sugar?

You don't need to be drinking your calories. Orange juice is good for you, but if you ate the whole oranges you would get full from the fiber before you consume the same calories as the juice. But it's not thaaat bad, but replace your fizzy drink with orange juice, then replace your orange juice with water.

Nuts don't contain much sugar (if at all) but they do contain fats. However, these are GOOD fats, eg. walnuts contain omega 3 which actually aids weight loss. Just make sure you don't consume too many nuts a day. A handful is enough, 5 or 6.
Get a more fibrous breakfast and that should be fine :smile: If you stick with it long enough the weight should drop off, as long as you do some exercise and burn a few calories. You really can't expect to lose weight through just diet, diet and exercise go hand in hand. To exercise you don't even have to go to the gym, go swimming, do a sport, jog or walk around your neighbourhood, etc.
Well thanks for the advice so far, but can I ask, is there any adverse effects possible from eating Tuna Salad and Chicken Salad as meals every day (well, at least 5 days a week)?

And what about the scotch eggs?
I am planning to do the following:

Breakfast:
bowl of sugar with glass of sugar
Frosties with a glass of orange juice lol
Why do people think OJ is healthy. It isn't. My brother has like it's his "five a day" and it isn't! Juices are not healthy at all compared to the fruit. You're just getting a big sugar hit = fat and tiredness, and much of the goodness is taken out of it. Get rid of all your juices and stick to water and milk for drinks.

Ha! I'm similar to you 5'9.5" 12.5 stones but 32" waist, not far off flat stomach so I guess it pays to go to the gym. If you think you're a fatty, then that's more of a reason to go to the gym! Stop using reverse psychology on yourself.

Check out the stickies first then Myfitnesspal.com. Your diet isn't very good.
(edited 11 years ago)
It sounds weird but because of insomnia, I often have to have my breakfast in the middle of the night, say 4am. Only then can I actually go to sleep. However, I imagine my cereal won't get digested properly because I am laying flat asleep. Would this make me fatter?

I could just cut out breakfast completely.
Reply 166
At less than 12 stone at 5'10" - even if you are a bit fat, you can't be more than 10lbs overweight. Of course you can go to the gym. Four stone overweight fifty-five year old women go to the gym. My grandmother goes to the gym and she is in her eighties.

So no, starving yourself and remaining inactive probably won't work. Eating a diet of fish, milk, lean meat, eggs, rice, potatoes, veg etc. and getting in some good quality exercise will. Getting in exercise will also go a long way to solving your sleeping problem. Trust me, if you try and go for a run a few times a week straight after you wake up and do a few gym sessions during the week, then you will be wanting your bed in the evening and won't be waking up at 4am.

At your weight, even with very gradual weightloss, you could be in pretty good shape in as little as two months.
Reply 167
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I am 5"10 and today weigh 11st 10lbs. The overall weight is not a problem, it is the fat distribution. I have moobs, lovehandles and a PepsiBelly. I used to be size 32 trousers comofrtably a couple of years ago, now I need size 36, which I still have to wear under my belly as even they won't fit around my waist now.

I am planning to do the following:

BREAKFAST:

1 bowl of Frosties with 1 glass of OJ

LUNCH:

1 tin of Tuna with a bit of cucumber (no bread)

DINNER:

Chicken salad, with some mini scotch eggs (these aren't healthy, but it's a treat lol).

Occasionally I will also have a snack or two, in the form of a banana, or a couple of biscuits.

I am not interested in longterm health, just trying to slim down and be skinny again. Please don't suggest going to the gym. I am too fat for the gym.

So is my diet sustainable? I know its not much fibre, but who cares. Everything else seems ok, even calcium with my breakfast milk?

I'd suggest swapping the frosties for porridge oats or branflakes. They are better nutrition-wise and will help keep you feeling fuller for longer.

I don't think your lunch is enough to keep you feeling satisfied until tea. This might increase your risk of binging and your diet failing. I'd suggest making a nice salad (lettuce, carrot, cucumber, tomato, beetroot, olives, sweetcorn etcetc) to go with the tuna. Alternatively have the tuna and cucumber in a wrap. Add a piece of fruit (eg. apple or nectarine).

Also I don't think your tea is enough and is lacking some complex carbs. Add some wholegrain pasta or rice or some new potatoes to go with the chicken. Add some veg, such as broccoli or cauliflower. Also write out a meal plan of possible teas so your not eating the same thing day in day out, which you may get bored off and your diet fail.

Good snacks include apples, nectarines, pears (although limit amount of fruit as it also contains sugar), sugar-free jelly, low calorie yoghurts, small portions of nuts. Try and stick to drinking only water. Try and stick to regular, planned meal times. Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I can't find sheep brains on myfitnesspal.com lol They were very tastey.

Definitely over ate today, too much good food about-- chicken jalfrezi, spring lamb curry (yummy and soft), lentil soup. Had loads of pieces of jack fruit mmmmmmmm for desert. I hear the the seeds are really healthy as well so hopefully I'll have some of them roasted later. I love summer foods. Just need my lychee fix at some point.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
I'm afraid you're reading a little too much into your situation and misunderstanding the findings of the articles you've mentioned. The articles that you cited established a link between low carbohydrate consumption and mood (and perhaps calorie restriction as well), not high protein consumption. Why? Carbohydrates are the preferred energy source of the brain. While a high protein diet may be the result of consuming a low carb diet, protein in itself does not cause mood changes.

You're neither consuming a high protein diet nor a low carb diet so your theory that protein is responsible (or even low carbohydrate consumption) is unlikely.

You have a history of stress or chronic stress leading to weight gain and you have the hallmark symptoms of being stressed...The most likely explanation is that you're stressed but carbohydrate restriction may also be an issue (emphasis on "may").

Common things are common. There's no point inventing theories as to why you might be the way you are until you've ruled out what is most likely or common.

Protein consumption does not matter that much as long as you are meeting basic nutritional requirements at the very least. You are getting far more worked up than is necessary.

Why do you feel better when you reduce protein intake? It is likely a placebo effect of sorts. When you stop obsessing about protein intake (as well as whatever else you're doing) you're less stressed and better able to relax (and eating slightly more carbs might help too).

thanks. even if I eat 120g of protein not 60g, it is still not that low carb, but I just assumed that that was the main difference and I was feeling the lack of carbs (60g less is still less, esp if we are talking 1400kcal altogether, sp proportion-wise I may feel it). I have noticed (even before dieting) that a diet higher in protein makes me more jittery than a diet higher in carbs with roughly the same amount of kcal. even one meal can make a difference. worst is eating a lot of protein at once with no carbs. second worst is eating a little protein with no carbs. I assumed this must be because one needs a certain amount of protein (20-25g) for those hormones that linked article also mentions to be fully released.

anyhow, you may be right and I am certainly no expert. but pls let me ask your v knowledgeable self, what is the minimum protein intake that should be enough to maintain muscle when limiting kcal? USDA says one gram for bodyweight in kg. almost all weight lifting forums say that is far too little. what do you think? (and why would the USDA recommend so little if it was indeed so little?!) how much protein is needed really?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by stayce88
Its your heart rate you need to look at, I did an hour on a stationary bike today with my heart rate between 147 and 160 and burnt 530 calories and im not fat

thanks, my heart rate is around that mark too, not that I trust that exercise bike! apparently all exercise bikes grossly overestimate the kcal you burn!
Reply 171
Original post by wholenewworld
thanks, my heart rate is around that mark too, not that I trust that exercise bike! apparently all exercise bikes grossly overestimate the kcal you burn!

I use a garmin forerunner with heartrate monitor, dont trust the bike computer
Original post by stayce88
I use a garmin forerunner with heartrate monitor, dont trust the bike computer

where do you recommend I buy one like that for the cheapest price possible?
where do you recommend I buy one like that for the cheapest price possible?

Depends what model you want/when you want it.

I got my 305 from Amazon, it was the cheapest 'legit' place at the time. However now there are cheaper places to get it. Have a scout round on Google shopping.

A word of warning about Garmin Forerunners(at least the 305)... The battery can have problems(mine did), I think it's only on the older models, the first 305s. Garmin fix/replace it completely free of charge if it does happen, but it is a potential problem. Apart from that though, great products.
I have a cheap Polar heart rate monitor. It doesn't have GPS, only heart rate, time, kcal ie. the basics. I've had it over 5 years now and it works a treat. It syncs with some of the cardio machines automatically at my gym too. The GPS ones are awesome if you're in to outdoor distance running but otherwise a cheap one (around £30) will do the job.
thanks. even if I eat 120g of protein not 60g, it is still not that low carb, but I just assumed that that was the main difference and I was feeling the lack of carbs (60g less is still less, esp if we are talking 1400kcal altogether, sp proportion-wise I may feel it). I have noticed (even before dieting) that a diet higher in protein makes me more jittery than a diet higher in carbs with roughly the same amount of kcal. even one meal can make a difference. worst is eating a lot of protein at once with no carbs. second worst is eating a little protein with no carbs. I assumed this must be because one needs a certain amount of protein (20-25g) for those hormones that linked article also mentions to be fully released.

From the sounds of it a lot of your problems stem from a poor-ish diet in general and/or are psychological.

Why/how are you eating extremely low carb meals? I would question the quality of the diet you're eating. A 600 calorie diet deficit plus exercise? You cannot get away from the fact that that is a high calorie deficit, of course you're not going to be feeling 100% whatever you eat.

You're also stressing yourself out about insignificant details like protein consumption. This is compounded by the fact that you've convinced yourself that protein is responsible and so every time that you feel below par it is attributed to your protein consumption even though there are countless other things going on in your life that could be responsible.

anyhow, you may be right and I am certainly no expert. but pls let me ask your v knowledgeable self, what is the minimum protein intake that should be enough to maintain muscle when limiting kcal? USDA says one gram for bodyweight in kg. almost all weight lifting forums say that is far too little. what do you think? (and why would the USDA recommend so little if it was indeed so little?!) how much protein is needed really?

There is very little evidence of a significant benefit to consuming 1g/lb of protein compared to 1g/kg. There's been a couple of big, well conducted studies into weight loss and they failed to see a significant difference in weight and fat loss when comparing different high/low protein/fat/carbohydrate diets.

Sure plenty of people on the internet recommend 1g/lb of protein however that is largely based on anecdotal evidence. If you take a closer look many of the people that recommend or consume 1g/lb of protein still carry a significant amount of fat. In those where "it works" you'll find that they eat a relatively healthy calorie controlled diet, they're very active and/or they're training hard. On the other hand the average person who isn't eating especially well, isn't very active and isn't training very hard in which case they probably don't need that much protein.

Like I said earlier it is pointless worrying about. If you're eating a sensible calorie controlled diet and you're exercising regularly you will lose a significant amount of weight and fat regardless of whether you're consuming 1g/lb or 1g/kg.
From the sounds of it a lot of your problems stem from a poor-ish diet in general and/or are psychological.

Why/how are you eating extremely low carb meals? I would question the quality of the diet you're eating. A 600 calorie diet deficit plus exercise? You cannot get away from the fact that that is a high calorie deficit, of course you're not going to be feeling 100% whatever you eat.

You're also stressing yourself out about insignificant details like protein consumption. This is compounded by the fact that you've convinced yourself that protein is responsible and so every time that you feel below par it is attributed to your protein consumption even though there are countless other things going on in your life that could be responsible.

There is very little evidence of a significant benefit to consuming 1g/lb of protein compared to 1g/kg. There's been a couple of big, well conducted studies into weight loss and they failed to see a significant difference in weight and fat loss when comparing different high/low protein/fat/carbohydrate diets.

Sure plenty of people on the internet recommend 1g/lb of protein however that is largely based on anecdotal evidence. If you take a closer look many of the people that recommend or consume 1g/lb of protein still carry a significant amount of fat. In those where "it works" you'll find that they eat a relatively healthy calorie controlled diet, they're very active and/or they're training hard. On the other hand the average person who isn't eating especially well, isn't very active and isn't training very hard in which case they probably don't need that much protein.

Like I said earlier it is pointless worrying about. If you're eating a sensible calorie controlled diet and you're exercising regularly you will lose a significant amount of weight and fat regardless of whether you're consuming 1g/lb or 1g/kg.

thanks, lots of truth to what you wrote, although my diet is certainly not poor. in fact it is really healthy and seeing how I can't eat red meat (digestive issues) or milk/dairy, I take both iron, zinc and calcium (not in the same meal either to help better absorption) supplements so I've worked it out. I eat fruit and veg, lean protein and porridge and potatoes (can't eat wheat).

1400kcal is close to a starvation diet I agree, but psychologically it's difficult for me to start eating more as I fear that I will gain all the weight back. Happened in the past. you may well be right but I certainly feel a lot better eating 1400kcal with only 60g protein than 1400kcal with 100g protein. but perhaps I falsely attribute it to other issues.

pls let me ask two more things.

in the past I was eating too little, this might have slowed my metabolism down? if so and say it is slow now still (and my maintenance is lower than what it's meant to be), how to get it working fast again?

I logically believe that you should eat when hungry. Would you agree? If so, again most people would recommend I have a hearty breakfast to kickstart the day. But if I can't eat big meals at once and esp if I'm not v hungry first thing in the morning, do you think it's OK just to eat how much I want? If it's 200kcals worth then 200kcals worth instead of forcing down my throat twice as much ?

Macronutrient ratio may not make a difference to weight/fat loss, but there's no denying protein is a more satiating nutrient, potentially reducing feelings of hunger, and not feeling hunger is a high-ish priority/important for a lot of people dieting.

edit: 2 negs for stating the protein is better for hunger satiation, which is important on a diet? **** sake is this real life? I give up on this forum, full of ****heads
(edited 11 years ago)

1400kcal is close to a starvation diet I agree, but psychologically it's difficult for me to start eating more as I fear that I will gain all the weight back.

without meaning to offend, that's a thought-pattern of anorexia.

[
pls let me ask two more things.

in the past I was eating too little, this might have slowed my metabolism down? if so and say it is slow now still (and my maintenance is lower than what it's meant to be), how to get it working fast again?

I logically believe that you should eat when hungry. Would you agree? If so, again most people would recommend I have a hearty breakfast to kickstart the day. But if I can't eat big meals at once and esp if I'm not v hungry first thing in the morning, do you think it's OK just to eat how much I want? If it's 200kcals worth then 200kcals worth instead of forcing down my throat twice as much ?

Metabolism is in part determined by certain hormones and muscle mass. Want a "quicker" metabolism? Gain some muscle mass.

If you're not hungry in the mornings, don't eat in the mornings, and your body will adapt. The human body should generally be quite good at maintaining blood sugar levels. You should read into intermittent fasting - it's a dietary protocol in which you fast for long periods of time (example 16 hours), then eat all your meals/calories for the day within 8 hours. One of the benefits is great hunger satiation. It goes against conventional "wisdom" of eating smaller meals more frequently, which isn't actually very wise at all and has no evidence base, only tradition.

Quick Reply

Latest