The Student Room Group

Teach First OFFICIAL Application / Assessment Centre thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by star2899
Good luck HayMedow!

Thanks Star, have u heard anything yet? xx
Reply 121
No, I haven't! Still waiting, so hard. You?
Reply 122
nope, fingers crossed, good luck! xx
Reply 123
The anxiety is painful! Let me know how you get on!!
Reply 124
Hey guys. I was at the assessment centre on 13th July. What an intense day, still trying to stop thinking about what I could have differently but was good experience overall. Can I ask if any of the other people from Weds 13th July have heard anything back yet or know anyone from that day who has?
The suspense is killing me!!!!
Reply 125
I got through the AC, just need to do SKA.... arrrrhhhhhhh i hope i pass cos im already thinking Im through now! xxx good luck everyone! xxx
Original post by HayMedow
I thought it was a good day, intense though I suppose, and a lot of stuff I thought after 'why did I say that, why didn't I say that?!' haha. But oh well, still waiting, did u hear the day or 2 days after?? xx

I heard the day after, but I wouldn't look into that too much, I've read people on here who have been made an offer a few days after their AC! Fingers crossed for you! Xxxx
Reply 127
Anyone heard back from the A/C on 14th July in London?
Reply 128
I was at the A/C on 13th July - Amy for languages, I got a phone call offering me the job this afternoon :smile: Anyone else I was speaking to on the day heard??
Reply 129
Original post by vickiw89
Hi Kjmeyrick

I am a reapplicant as i applied last year around this time when i was a fourth year also so i wouldn't worry about being too young.
I just answered the questions with the best examples possible, i think they expect you to repeat examples and I certainly did. Although I didn't get in they said my interview was good so I guess they didn't mind.
I just wore a suit and most people had similar so you will be fine. When is your AC?
Overall i would say don't worry, be yourself and try and not be nervous. What let me down was I didn't really talk enough during the group task as 2 dominant personalities just took over and I let them which I regret as it seemed to be the only thing that stopped me getting in. You acutally don't sepnd that much time being assessed and a lot of hanging around so its not as bad as it seems.

xxx

Hi Vicki!
Yes, I have to say it is the group task I am worried about. I can imagine its easy to get overwhelmed and shadowed by big personalities. I guess that comes down to who you have in your group!
How was the lesson? I've been teaching for a year in France and am used to planning several, hour long lessons, a week, the idea of a 7 minute lesson is a little bizarre! Does it have to be a whole complete lesson, ie learning objective, body and summary or is is simply a snapshot of a lesson?
Sorry to ask so many questions!
I get the impression that good knowledge of the Teach First 'mission' is essential?

To all the people who have had their assessment days is there any advice you would give? Mine is on the 20th! Very very nervous right now! (as you can probably tell haha)

Kayleigh
Original post by sul
Anyone heard back from the A/C on 14th July in London?

Hi - it's Sophie from the AC. I'm yet to hear back, and I'm guessing we won't until next week now! Ahhh I can't stand waiting :frown:
Reply 131
Original post by misseckleburg
Hi - it's Sophie from the AC. I'm yet to hear back, and I'm guessing we won't until next week now! Ahhh I can't stand waiting :frown:

Good luck. I didn't apply, a close family member did :smile:
Reply 132
Hi Sophie,

Good luck, I will keep everything crossed for you, please let me know when you hear xxx
Reply 133
I got through the AC, just need to do SKA.... arrrrhhhhhhh i hope i pass cos im already thinking Im through now! xxx good luck everyone! xxx

I got through as well! So happy! The SKA seems like a detailed task but it's importance is there i guess.

I thought i would let everyone know that i am a reapplicant from last year. I had failed the sample lesson last year. I was determined to make a comeback. Am pleased for myself. I spent the year teaching at an independent college. So for all those reapplicants - there is hope!!!!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 134
Original post by star2899
I got through as well! So happy! The SKA seems like a detailed task but it's importance is there i guess.

I thought i would let everyone know that i am a reapplicant from last year. I had failed the sample lesson last year. I was determined to make a comeback. Am pleased for myself. I spent the year teaching at an independent college. So for all those reapplicants - there is hope!!!!! :smile:

Do you have any idea about the SKA, like how long we should spend on it? How difficult it is? I'm so excited, gunna plan a bit of travelling before we start... will it be the start of next July the summer institute??? I am getting ahead of myself with excitement!
hey all!
I have my AC on 19th July to do English, but I preferred the physics question for the lesson and am preparing the physcs lesson. do you think it will cause problems? i rang TF to ask and they said it would not, but Im still worried!
Reply 136
from what it says in the email you should "please choose a title that most closely reflects your degree or A-Level knowledge or the subject you feel is your strongest at this time."

so basicly do what you feel strongest about.

im getting quite concerned as to how disruptive the pupils are going to be in the lesson. is it constant questions which have nothing to do with the topic? are they going to take up a lot of time so that my lesson plan gets chucked out the window? any help anyone?? :smile:

apart from that im excited :smile:
yeah im worried about that too...as it is i have little time to finsih my lesson but i think the focus is more on how you react to the children rather than the actual topic.... can anyone clarify for me?
Reply 138
Do you have any idea about the SKA, like how long we should spend on it? How difficult it is? I'm so excited, gunna plan a bit of travelling before we start... will it be the start of next July the summer institute??? I am getting ahead of myself with excitement!

I think the SKA asks detailed knowledge about your subject area breakdown.

Spend as much time as you can on it and have a good think about what you actually know re subject wise.

Summer Institute usually starts end of June until beginning of August.

What subject have you gone for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 139
Original post by fetster
from what it says in the email you should "please choose a title that most closely reflects your degree or A-Level knowledge or the subject you feel is your strongest at this time."

so basicly do what you feel strongest about.

im getting quite concerned as to how disruptive the pupils are going to be in the lesson. is it constant questions which have nothing to do with the topic? are they going to take up a lot of time so that my lesson plan gets chucked out the window? any help anyone?? :smile:

apart from that im excited :smile:

I would recommend that you 'got into role' when you did the lesson. You will be able to do your lesson but they're looking for your ability to deal with interruptions efficiently and smoothly.

Quick Reply

Latest