The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by conway!
Apologies if anyone here was there, but about 45 Glasgow uni accent-ers descended on the Laurieston last night (usually a quiet old-man pub) and screamed and shouted and sat far too close and nicked our chairs, and I was going to throw a table :smile:

In a café in the uni this week, someone with the accent asked if they could take a chair while they were carrying it away.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I am worried that I might have the accent. I am from abroad and lived in the States for a while, so I got a bit of an American slang in there as well as having adapted some words here, simply because it's not my first language.

Arcadia, did you get a student discount at the lunatic fringe? I read something about it in old reviews but can't find anything on their side.
Original post by Buecherwurm
Arcadia, did you get a student discount at the lunatic fringe? I read something about it in old reviews but can't find anything on their side.

Yes, I did. They just asked if I was a student when it came to paying, so I said I was and showed them my student card and they took money off. :smile:
Reply 4223
I hate Animal Diveristy! They dont actually teach you anything except that they pick up slugs in botanic gardens. And I have this stupud wiki page to write on an animal from the zoology museum. The only problem is that the scienfitic name o the animal ive been assigned is diffrent in the zoology museum that it is in the rest of the world. Honestly no idea why i chose this module.....
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Yes, I did. They just asked if I was a student when it came to paying, so I said I was and showed them my student card and they took money off. :smile:

Thank you. I actually walked over today. Their discount is quite a lot, 25 pounds instead of 32.50! They only do discounts from Tuesday to Friday though.
(And I meant site of course).

How is English going? You enjoying it a bit more now?
Original post by NonaxD
I hate Animal Diveristy! They dont actually teach you anything except that they pick up slugs in botanic gardens. And I have this stupud wiki page to write on an animal from the zoology museum. The only problem is that the scienfitic name o the animal ive been assigned is diffrent in the zoology museum that it is in the rest of the world. Honestly no idea why i chose this module.....

I have a few friends doing it. One of them is doing a zoology degree - she loves it. The others are less impressed :tongue:

In a café in the uni this week, someone with the accent asked if they could take a chair while they were carrying it away.

I win. I had someone come up to my table while I was sitting with some friends and take a seat away without saying a word. Weird.
Original post by Aurora.
I win. I had someone come up to my table while I was sitting with some friends and take a seat away without saying a word. Weird.

FFS, how hard is it to ask? It would take about three seconds of their life. Absolutely can't stand bad manners.
Reply 4227
What is this Glasgow Uni accent thing? What does it sound like?
Original post by Duckelf
What is this Glasgow Uni accent thing? What does it sound like?

Your mum.
Original post by G8D

Or something.

That voice :afraid:
Reply 4231
Your mum.

That can't be true since my mum went to Cambridge, not Glasgow.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
x

Gulliver's Travels.

Shoot me now.

Why do the texts have to be SOOOO BOOOOOOORING? :frown:
Original post by G8D

OMG...it sounds like a stereotypical, teenage American girl only with a Glasgow accent. Listening to this made me want to punch someone (preferably her) in the face.
(edited 12 years ago)
I found her incredibly annoying too. And I wanted to ask, like, what is up, like, with her use of the word like? I always thought I use it a lot to describe stuff but she was like, properly like, annoying like hell! AGH!
Gulliver's Travels.

Shoot me now.

Why do the texts have to be SOOOO BOOOOOOORING? :frown:

Read first book, gave up, read dispossessed, LOVED IT! My usertitle is a quote from it.

Original post by Buecherwurm
I found her incredibly annoying too. And I wanted to ask, like, what is up, like, with her use of the word like? I always thought I use it a lot to describe stuff but she was like, properly like, annoying like hell! AGH!

It's called the be-like quotative :fyi:

:getmecoat:
Reply 4236
I enjoyed Gulliver's Travels immensely. :colonhash:

The Lagado Academy section in particular is brimming with Python-esque humour.
(edited 12 years ago)
Subway broke down. Bus broke down. 2 and a half hours to get home. I was quicker traveling to Edinburgh, being interviewed and traveling back this morning :colonhash:

Really need to move out.
Original post by Beneb
I enjoyed Gulliver's Travels immensely. :colonhash:

Do you do English Lit? :holmes:

(Oooh I love Bob Dylan and Father Ted, too :awesome:)
Reply 4239
Do you do English Lit? :holmes:

(Oooh I love Bob Dylan and Father Ted, too :awesome:)

Yep. :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest