The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What do you wish people had told you about Lancaster before you started?

Scroll to see replies

Not a lot. Although, I wish someone had told me what it was like to live in Chancellor's Wharf before I actually moved in. Then I might have escaped more easily. :O
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by RedRevolver
Not a lot. Although, I wish someone had told me what it was like to live in Chancellor's Wharf before I actually moved in. Then I might have escaped more easily. :O

Is Chancellors Wharf bad? Their's a group of us who have an offer to live there next year.
that it was a sh*t hole
Original post by Mombasa Raha
Is Chancellors Wharf bad? Their's a group of us who have an offer to live there next year.

It isn't bad. People just have different tastes. :smile:
A large group of my friends lived there for two years and loved it. They liked the fact the accommodation comes with all the security of being in university owned flats - individual rent agreements, a cleaner, porters on site etc. The place has common rooms and a laundrette on site. Plus, it is only a minute away from the centre of town - that was always great on nights out. :smile: And, it is on the right side of town. In the sense that, you can jump on/off the bus before it goes around the one-way system. :smile:

So, Chancellors isn't bad. It just isn't to everyone's taste. Have you had chance to have a quick look around? That might help you decide. :smile:
Reply 24
My friends live there currently and I'm really jealous. It's not awful accommodation and it's in a brilliant location. Especially as the canal during summer is lovely to hang around.
Reply 25
People back home always say to me, "Why do you moan about the weather so much, you knew it was going to be worse moving North" But they don't understand, Lancaster does not have normal weather, I can only remember seeing the sun once so far, on the day we moved in. It's always windy. It's either raining or drizzling every single day. I'd forgotten what stars looked like!
Thank God for the Spine is all I can say.
Reply 26
Original post by kirstied
People back home always say to me, "Why do you moan about the weather so much, you knew it was going to be worse moving North" But they don't understand, Lancaster does not have normal weather, I can only remember seeing the sun once so far, on the day we moved in. It's always windy. It's either raining or drizzling every single day. I'd forgotten what stars looked like!
Thank God for the Spine is all I can say.

Oh yes, it's not just ordinary northern weather. Lancaster has its own micro-climate. Horizontal rain is a speciality.
But don't get too upset about it, it can get very pleasant in the summer, and you will begin to think that the winter term couldn't have been as bad as you remember it.
Original post by affinity89
It isn't bad. People just have different tastes. :smile:
A large group of my friends lived there for two years and loved it. They liked the fact the accommodation comes with all the security of being in university owned flats - individual rent agreements, a cleaner, porters on site etc. The place has common rooms and a laundrette on site. Plus, it is only a minute away from the centre of town - that was always great on nights out. :smile: And, it is on the right side of town. In the sense that, you can jump on/off the bus before it goes around the one-way system. :smile:

So, Chancellors isn't bad. It just isn't to everyone's taste. Have you had chance to have a quick look around? That might help you decide. :smile:

Yeah, some of us visited on the open day. We thought it was quite nice. I think the added security is pretty neat, but some people seem to think it's not going to be as good socially compared to living in a house. I guess since we won't be having a living room as such, it's true to an extent.
Yeah, some of us visited on the open day. We thought it was quite nice. I think the added security is pretty neat, but some people seem to think it's not going to be as good socially compared to living in a house. I guess since we won't be having a living room as such, it's true to an extent.

True. Most campus flats lack a living room though, and people tend to get by. :smile: Plus, there are common rooms in the buildings - perhaps they will be good for social gatherings. :smile:

Or, you could take over Lounge. I love that place lol.
Reply 29
Original post by rawkus
I will admit I had more of an issue near the beginning when I went to all my lectures and all my shoes had holes in them.

Yes definately bring good, solid shoes. I live about ten minutes away and cheap shoes last about 10 day with all the water in puddles.
Original post by affinity89
True. Most campus flats lack a living room though, and people tend to get by. :smile: Plus, there are common rooms in the buildings - perhaps they will be good for social gatherings. :smile:

Or, you could take over Lounge. I love that place lol.

Yeap, we saw the common room. Their's 1 on top of each building. I think I remember the lady telling us their not used that often :/

Lounge...I think I went there for the 1st time on the last Friday of term (we couldn't get into sugar :tongue:) and it had loads of old people :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Original post by slacker07906
So excited to go next year! Arghhh! If anyone else is going to study business at lancaster in 2012 PM me :smile:

i am ! :smile:

Aye, affinity's right in that it's not bad, depending on your taste. But I genuinely question people who enjoy living there - I only chose it because it was a safe bet, back when I was a naive fresher...

It's very poorly built (I haven't slept well all year because I can hear everything my neighbours, in my flat and above me, are doing when I lie down at the head of my bed) - my flat in particular is ****ing shoddy, having clearly been made to fit in there, rather than the space being practical for five people to live in. I have a tiny shower and a toilet, again between five, and am living with 4 extremely annoying girls who I'm sorry to say, I wish were dead. Or at least people I'd never been introduced to in the first place. The security are awful at their job, quite old and like to pretend their doing their job by harassing people on arbitrary charges (leaving your window slightly ajar isn't a crime guys).

If you can get a house, it's a lot nicer.

Plus, Kate Mackie is one of the most stupid, least straight talking people I have ever met.

I will acknowledge, though, that I think it was because I never was enthused about living there, I never looked forward to it - I hated uni accommodation last year, and didn't want to be in it again. I should've looked for a house, but I didn't. If you get a room with a balcony, you'll probably have an altogether nicer flat and better experience (because they tend to not be so cramped, e.g. my friend lives with five guys, and they get a bathroom (with bath) between two each.

Final note - individual lets are not necessarily better than communal lets. Just saying.
(edited 12 years ago)
its a good uni in terms of quality of teaching. but its boring place, most people are not that friendly either.
Reply 34
Original post by fantafruittwist
its a good uni in terms of quality of teaching. but its boring place, most people are not that friendly either.

Well make better friends then :tongue:

I can't really say I've found it boring or the people unfriendly.
Original post by cambo211
Well make better friends then :tongue:

I can't really say I've found it boring or the people unfriendly.

yeah maybe. i mean its not as though i dont put the effort in, i have just found most people to be quite stuck up. oh well.
Original post by fantafruittwist
yeah maybe. i mean its not as though i dont put the effort in, i have just found most people to be quite stuck up. oh well.

That's a real shame. I hope you find some people you get on with better when you head back after Christmas. Lancaster has a very diverse student population, so I'm sure you'll find some more agreeable people. :smile:
Reply 37
When I went for on a school trip to Lancaster it was May/June when it was absolutely boiling, so good to know about the weather.

All of the posts reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6z88ur-8bY
Lancaster itself is quite depressing (shopping-wise mainly), same with on-campus, although you'd see this if you look around - the choice of shops/eateries isn't that great, but depends what you like.
Bring a good coat- like people say: it is rainy and cold. My girlfriend's parents got me a thick coat for christmas and since being back I realised how a lot of the reason I wasn't that happy the first term was how cold I was. Also, Lancaster is a great place, but, like some others, I do sometimes find myself without a lot to do. To compensate for that a lot of the people I know go out drinking, which is fine, but I'm not particularly interested in that every night.

Quick Reply

Latest