The Student Room Group

Increasing Tension Between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Nuke Buenos Aires, that'll shut them up.
Reply 941
Original post by Joluk

I'll phone Mrs. Kirchner and tell her to put her helmet on ready :tongue:
Original post by Joluk

In before Fallout: Buenos Aires.

Here's the plot. A British soldier arrives on shore and kills all survivors lol. You basically have an entire campaign beforehand where you can level up max then you own them.
George Galloway was on 10 O'Clock Live spouting utter ****e. The island's proximity to Argentina overrides the people's right to self-determination. ****'s sake.
Reply 944
Original post by flugelr
Argentina increasingly reminds me of Gollum.

"The Falklands are ours....my preciousssssssss"

Can we throw Argentina into a volcano then?
Original post by @Sam
Did anyone else catch the major protests on the Falklands; at the school and the 4x4 parade. I would be interested to see Kirchner's response to that - self determination in action right there.

Was this a protest by the Falkland islanders? Do you have a link?
Reply 946
Original post by FrigidSymphony
George Galloway was on 10 O'Clock Live spouting utter ****e. The island's proximity to Argentina overrides the people's right to self-determination. ****'s sake.

No it doesn't. Geographical positioning is irrelevant. If it was relevant the Channel Islands would be French. The opinions and choice of the people that live there is most important, above everything else and since they want to remain part of Britain that pretty much settles it.
And if the Argies don't like it, tough luck
Original post by thunder_chunky
No it doesn't. Geographical positioning is irrelevant. If it was relevant the Channel Islands would be French. The opinions and choice of the people that live there is most important, above everything else and since they want to remain part of Britain that pretty much settles it.
And if the Argies don't like it, tough luck

I should have put quotation marks around that. Galloway's point was that proximity was more important than self-determination, which is nonsense. David Mitchell jumped on him for that, and when Galloway began spouting out about colonial guilt, Hugo Rifkind jumped with the fact that the Argentines are as much a colonial power as the British.
Original post by FrigidSymphony
I should have put quotation marks around that. Galloway's point was that proximity was more important than self-determination, which is nonsense. David Mitchell jumped on him for that, and when Galloway began spouting out about colonial guilt, Hugo Rifkind jumped with the fact that the Argentines are as much a colonial power as the British.

Ah ok. Yeah I'm just watching it now. I'm really not surprised that George Galloway is in favour of giving the islands to the Argies, it's typical of him. But he is, of course, wrong.
Ah ok. Yeah I'm just watching it now. I'm really not surprised that George Galloway is in favour of giving the islands to the Argies, it's typical of him. But he is, of course, wrong.

It was strongly reminiscent of his support of the Hussein government of Iraq... The man is an absolute buffoon.
Reply 951

Galloway is a scumbag. He'd support anyone who was against Britain, regardless of truth. Dunno whether he does it because he's a (failed) media whore or whether he is literally that stupid.

Anyone (ie Galloway) who can't hold onto their parliamentary seat in a heavily Muslim area when their main policy is whining about Israel is a complete failure, and an oxygen thief. He'd be better off in a career that suited his skill set, ie cleaning public toilets.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by navarre
He'd be better off in a career that suited his skill set, ie cleaning public toilets.

I doubt that. The man would add to the **** rather than remove it.
Original post by Nugget McChicken
I doubt that. The man would add to the **** rather than remove it.

No he'd defend the **** from the aggression of the toilet brush.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No he'd defend the **** from the aggression of the toilet brush.

No actually he's spread the **** around onto other people and condemning them for removing it.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but on all UK news websites I've been on, I've not seen anything about the tragic train crash which killed 49 and injured 550 in Argentina today. Is this for propaganda reasons, due to the current poor relations between our two countries? I only found this out through the Russia Today news website. www.rt.com
Reply 956
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but on all UK news websites I've been on, I've not seen anything about the tragic train crash which killed 49 and injured 550 in Argentina today. Is this for propaganda reasons, due to the current poor relations between our two countries? I only found this out through the Russia Today news website. www.rt.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17129858

I'd like to think/hope that the BBC (at least) wouldn't ignore something like that just for political point scoring.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 957
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk

It's on BBC news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-17129858

As of 11pm, it's on the front page of the Times website:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/

Mail online (found on the front page, admittedly buried somewhere in the middle):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2104929/Train-crash-Argentina-kills-49-leaves-hundreds-injured-brakes-fail-busy-station.html

Telegraph, also linked to on front page:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/argentina/9098543/49-killed-and-600-injured-in-Buenos-Aires-train-derailment.html

Guardian, again from front page:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/22/argentinian-commuters-injured-train-crash

Did you actually look?
Reply 958
All those that are of the belief that the typhoon is such an invincible superweapon, think again.
The typhoon has a kill:death ratio of 9:1, and since the argentines have 34 of these badboys to our 4 typhoons, I make that quite a close fight. 102353_big.jpg
Reply 959
Original post by bulgy
All those that are of the belief that the typhoon is such an invincible superweapon, think again.
The typhoon has a kill:death ratio of 9:1, and since the argentines have 34 of these badboys to our 4 typhoons, I make that quite a close fight. 102353_big.jpg

Let's just presume for a second here that there is a war about to start. It would be a severely bad move for any tactition to use their entire air force on one battle. Not to mention that the 9:1 is probably a ratio that was found using much more advanced air craft that what the argies use.

But these points are pretty irrelavent when the uk has arguably the best air defence in the world right now in the navys type 45 destroyers. It is apparently able to track and hit a tennis ball travelling 3 times above the speed of sound. Not too shabby ey.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending