The Student Room Group

IF you would like help with any math problems, feel free to post them

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm trying to prove that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two primes. Can you help?
Reply 2
Original post by notnek
I'm trying to prove that every even integer greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two primes. Can you help?

Oh thats a lovely problem!
Although I did mean A level problems, as that is why I put this in that thread, but nonetheless I will give it a try! :smile:

Will take me some time though, but will keep you updated. (Actually this is unproven, it is termed the Goldbach Conjecture, but the above form was formulated by Euler-apparently it has been tested 400,000,000,000,000). With that said, I suppose we must solve it algebraically. May take a while........(will think about it though)

Thank you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by sulexk
Oh thats a lovely problem!
Although I did mean A level problems, as that is why I put this in that thread, but nonetheless I will give it a try! :smile:

Will take me some time though, but will keep you updated. (Actually this is unproven, it is termed the Goldbach Conjecture, but the above form was formulated by Euler-apparently it has been tested 400,000,000,000,000). With that said, I suppose we must solve it algebraically. May take a while........(will think about it though)

Thank you :smile:

It's OK, you don't have to prove it!

I'm not sure if this thread is needed since the maths subforum is designed for people to post their questions.

I'm sure you'll be welcome in many threads in the maths subforum to answer questions :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
It's OK, you don't have to prove it!

I'm not sure if this thread is needed since the maths subforum is designed for people to post their questions.

I'm sure you'll be welcome in many threads in the maths subforum to answer questions :smile:

Yes, you are right.

I just thought another one at this time maybe helpful :smile:

But thank you

I wonder if the Goldbach conjecture can be proved? What do you think?
Reply 5
i was given a puzzle book for Christmas and am still stuck on this one:

Show that the real part of any non-trivial zero of the Riemann zeta function is 1/2.

i have tried proof by exhaustion but it is taking ages...
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
i was given a puzzle book for Christmas and am still stuck on this one:

Show that the real part of any non-trivial zero of the Riemann zeta function is 1/2.

i have tried proof by exhaustion but it is taking ages...

Hi,

That is to do with functions of complex variables. I will try and work on it, although have not yet covered Functions of Complex variables. Will try soon though! :smile:
I would love to work on these in the summer, once all exams are done.
Reply 7
Hey its Bob again,

Noticed you made a thread =) I've been doing some exam style paper today and got myself stuck on this question.

1) A geometric series has a common ratio r (<0). The sum of the first and third terms equals 4 times the sum of the third and fifth terms. Find the value of r.

So i did it like this:

a + ar^2 = 4(ar^2 + ar^4)
a + ar^2 = 4ar^2 + 4ar^4
0=4ar2+4ar4a+ar20 = \frac{4ar^2 + 4ar^4}{a + ar^2}
Which simplifies to 4r^2 + 4r^2 = 0
8r^2 = 0

As you can see, this doesn't make any sense and im not sure what im doing wrong. :s-smilie: Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Master Bob
Hey its Bob again,

Noticed you made a thread =) I've been doing some exam style paper today and got myself stuck on this question.

1) A geometric series has a common ratio r (<0). The sum of the first and third terms equals 4 times the sum of the third and fifth terms. Find the value of r.

So i did it like this:

a + ar^2 = 4(ar^2 + ar^4)
a + ar^2 = 4ar^2 + 4ar^4
0=4ar2+4ar4a+ar20 = \frac{4ar^2 + 4ar^4}{a + ar^2}
Which simplifies to 4r^2 + 4r^2 = 0
8r^2 = 0

As you can see, this doesn't make any sense and im not sure what im doing wrong. :s-smilie: Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks

a+ar2=4(ar2+ar4)[br]a(1+r2)=4a(r2+r4)[br]1+r2=4(r2+r4)[br]1+r2=4r2+4r4[br]4r4+3r21=0 \displaystyle a + ar^2 = 4(ar^2 + ar^4) [br]\displaystyle a(1+r^2) = 4a(r^2+r^4)[br]\displaystyle 1+r^2 = 4(r^2+r^4)[br]\displaystyle 1+r^2 = 4r^2 + 4r^4[br]\displaystyle 4r^4 + 3r^2 -1 =0

Lets take, r2=x \displaystyle r^2 = x

So the equation becomes,
4r4+3r21=0[br]4x2+3x1=0[br] \displaystyle 4r^4 + 3r^2 -1 =0 [br]\displaystyle 4x^2 + 3x - 1 =0[br]

This is a quadratic, solve it, you will get two solution.

One of the solution is a negative value, which you can ignore because it won't agree, r2=x \displaystyle r^2 = x .

The other will be a positive value, lets say it is 'b'.
So you get, r2=b[br]r=±b[br] \displaystyle r^2 = b [br]\displaystyle r = \pm \sqrt{b}[br]
We need the negative solution because the question states that r is less than zero.
Hence,
r=b \displaystyle r = -\sqrt{b}
Reply 9
@raheem94 Thank you. Got the final answer as -0.5 :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Master Bob
@raheem94 Thank you. Got the final answer as -0.5 :smile:

You are welcome.

r=-0.5 is the correct answer.

You can check the answer yourself by substituting it in the initial equation.
a+ar2=4(ar2+ar4)[br]a(1+r2)=4a(r2+r4)[br]a(1+(0.5)2)=4a((0.5)2+(0.5)4)[br]a(1+0.25)=4a(0.25+0.0625)[br]1.25a=4a(0.3125)[br]1.25a=1.25a[br] \displaystyle a + ar^2 = 4(ar^2 + ar^4) [br]\displaystyle a(1+r^2) = 4a(r^2+r^4)[br]\displaystyle a(1+(-0.5)^2) = 4a((-0.5)^2 + (-0.5)^4)[br]\displaystyle a(1+0.25) = 4a(0.25+0.0625)[br]\displaystyle 1.25a = 4a(0.3125)[br]\displaystyle 1.25a = 1.25a[br]
If a mum gives Dave 6 sweets, Sandra 7 sweets, Muhammad 3 sweets and Aailya 2 sweets, what was she thinking when she named her children?
Reply 12
Original post by Brit_Miller
If a mum gives Dave 6 sweets, Sandra 7 sweets, Muhammad 3 sweets and Aailya 2 sweets, what was she thinking when she named her children?

Hmm...
Reply 13
Original post by Brit_Miller

Just note this is a maths thread! :smile:

Nevertheless, through your pretty clever words, you intended to mean something.
I would think you were saying that a particular way of life, puts one entity in higher status than the other..

Tell me what were you thinking?

Hi I was wondering if you could help me with a C2 differentiation Question and it's attached to this post.

Thanks!
Reply 15
Original post by starfish232
Hi I was wondering if you could help me with a C2 differentiation Question and it's attached to this post.

Thanks!

On which part do you need help?
Reply 16
Original post by starfish232

Thanks!

For the first one.

You're told that the length of the wire is 2 i.e the Perimeter= 2.

-> 2= The sum of all the sides on the outside. Note that the perimeter of a semi-circle is 1/2*pi*diameter. Hence express y in terms of x (i.e get it in the form y= something).

Secondly: The area is given by: area of rectangle +area of semi-circle.

*area of semi-circle= 1/2* pi *radius^2

Make sure you replace y here, with what you worked out in part A.

Finally, using the R expression, differentiate R with respect to x twice.
Original post by sulexk

:smile:

How tall is Imhotep?
Reply 18
Original post by f1mad
For the first one.

You're told that the length of the wire is 2 i.e the Perimeter= 2.

-> 2= The sum of all the sides on the outside. Note that the perimeter of a semi-circle is 1/2*pi*diameter. Hence express y in terms of x (i.e get it in the form y= something).

Secondly: The area is given by: area of rectangle +area of semi-circle.

*area of semi-circle= 1/2* pi *radius^2

Make sure you replace y here, with what you worked out in part A.

Finally, using the R expression, differentiate R with respect to x twice.

Why differentiate twice?

The question clearly states that it is not to be proved that the value is a maximum.
Reply 19

Imhotep is invisible.

Quick Reply

Latest