The Student Room Group

UCL Msc Economics 2012....Who is going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sj27
Reputed to be the most technical master's in the field in the world, and has a stellar record in terms of where people go on to do their PhDs at once they have it.
Like econla says, not directly comparable to 'ordinary' master's in economics as it is much more quantitatively focused/demanding.

Well it is indeed much more quantitatively focused/demanding... and indeed has a stellar record in terms of people with good grades to go on to do a PhD.

But what does it do with me? EME students still need 70+ to do a master (even their own PhD at LSE) at the top econ departments in the UK, so do Cam, Ox and UCL students...
Reply 61
Original post by sj27
Why do you think I would spend time searching your profile :s-smilie:

And if you know the answer, why ask the question?

Oh OK. The conversation is getting uninteresting now. I will leave for now :s-smilie:
Reply 62
Part III maths at cambridge has 37% official pass mark...

Higher pass mark does not mean it's harder...
Reply 63
Original post by Goodsir
Part III maths at cambridge has 37% official pass mark...

Higher pass mark does not mean it's harder...

uffff.....I think that is f..ing tough...they need just 37%, it must be really hard.
I think that for a world class university, maybe one can say that the lowest passing mark relates to a very tough programme as I stated a few posts before, but not remotely the opposite.

Based on this very low requirement in Cambridge Math, according Lalafell inference, Cambridge would have one of the worst and easiest math programme in the world......mmmm I don't think so, but perhaps the opposite I do :wink:
Reply 64
Original post by janjanmmm
Congrats!
Did you apply for Policy, or did they replace Econ with Policy?

thanks! i applied for policy..math background ain't good..haha
Reply 65
Im holding an offer for Msc Economics at UCL. I need a first though and its a bit touch and go whether Ill be able to meet the conditions. Ive got Warwick anyway which is a great backup to have :smile:
Reply 66
Come onnnn.......get your first don't be lazy :angry:
Reply 67
Original post by Econla
Come onnnn.......get your first don't be lazy :angry:

lol, dont get me wrong Ill do everything I can to meet the offer.

See you there :wink:
Reply 68
I hope so :wink:
Original post by Lalafell
What point did I miss? I think I know more about both the UCL MSc Economcis and MSc Economic Policy than most of the people in this forum. Actually, I have been auditing the lectures from the beggining of this year in order to prepare for my graduate study.

Currently, I hold an offer of Warwick MSc Economics, but also I have applied for the MSc Economic Policy of UCL, IS there a huge difference between these programs. I don't know what to do if UCL accepts me. pls help me which option is better?

Thanks in advance
Original post by handy11
Im holding an offer for Msc Economics at UCL. I need a first though and its a bit touch and go whether Ill be able to meet the conditions. Ive got Warwick anyway which is a great backup to have :smile:

Currently, I hold an offer of Warwick MSc Economics, but also I have applied for the MSc Economic Policy of UCL, IS there a huge difference between these programs. I don't know what to do if UCL accepts me. pls help me which option is better?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Econla
Anyone waiting for decision or already admitted?? :smile:

Thanks in advance
Reply 72
We heard you :curious:
Reply 73
Msc Economics = Mostly pure theory
Msc Policy Economics = Applied theory

What do you want to do afterwards?
Original post by Econla
Msc Economics = Mostly pure theory
Msc Policy Economics = Applied theory

What do you want to do afterwards?

I would like to continue with the PhD, but I don't know if it is really possible to change U after doing the MSc in Warwick because how well is the PhD in Warwick?, and also if is possible to do a PhD with a MSc in Economic Policy, difficult situation.

Thanks for help me
Reply 75
Go for Warwick and then apply to PhD, you can absolutely change U.

Warwick will give you a better preparation than UCL MPE for Phd purposes, because the last one is focused on preparing people for private or government jobs, but not for academy unlike the pure Msc in Economics in UCL.
Original post by Econla
Go for Warwick and then apply to PhD, you can absolutely change U.

Warwick will give you a better preparation than UCL MPE for Phd purposes, because the last one is focused on preparing people for private or government jobs, but not for academy unlike the pure Msc in Economics in UCL.

OK. Thanks a lot, I will wait for the answer of UCL to make the decision.
Reply 77
anyone intending or applied for accom yet? haha
Hey. Sorry if im out of place here. I just wanted to ask if you guys appeared for the GRE/GMA examinations. And does Oxbridge offer an MA Economics too?
Reply 79
applied for accommodation! according to the website the results won't be out till late july/august tho..

Quick Reply

Latest