The Student Room Group

IB - SL Maths Paper 1 2012

Just had my first exam! :eek: :cool:

Sorry mod, completely forgot that 24 hours have to pass until any discussion is allowed :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First? That maths exam was my 5th exam 0___0 How come you didn't have an English exam yesterday?
Thread closed until tomorrow. No discussion is allowed for 24 hours after the exam. Please read the announcement: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=10&a=629
Reply 3
I thought that apart from the Binomial Theorum question (which I got right but could only solve by trial and error, so probably won't get many marks for it), it was ridiculously easy; far more so than any past paper I've done. I finished it within an hour so had time to go over it all again and correct the many silly errors I make. I'm sure there are a few left in there, but I'm hoping my score is ~85/90 and the grade boundaries not too high!
i agree with Harve.. but instead, i cudnt reach the final answer so im expecting to get like a 3/7 on the binomial question cz i showed working.. but got stuck at one point.
and i hope my score is about 85.. but due to some small errors that i might have made, i say an 82-83 :smile:
and definitely one of the easiest paper 1's ive ever done, did the 2008 past paper and pulled an 88 on it, so i guess this wud be the 2nd easiest i did.. if the binomial was a vector question itd be the easiest ive done :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by xamiexpokex
First? That maths exam was my 5th exam 0___0 How come you didn't have an English exam yesterday?

I take Swedish instead of English :smile:

Yeah the binomial question was ridiculous. I have seen similar ones but never as tricky as this one seemed to be. Otherwise this paper 1 was alright, I think the first one I've seen without any matrices, vectors and logs.
Reply 6
omg i found it so hard ! :frown: the binomial was awful.
everyone in my school found it so difficult, seriously all SL students, like only 3 came out saying they found it okkay
did NOBODY find it difficult?!
Original post by amylou98
everyone in my school found it so difficult, seriously all SL students, like only 3 came out saying they found it okkay

nobody in my school or my friends school managed to do it :redface: if it was another q id be above 85 now but :frown: btw in these schools we're talking abt around 50 SL students :tongue: ooh and check this out its all over the IB world:
n.jpg
Reply 8
Original post by aeyurttaser13
nobody in my school or my friends school managed to do it :redface: if it was another q id be above 85 now but :frown: btw in these schools we're talking abt around 50 SL students :tongue: ooh and check this out its all over the IB world:
n.jpg

no but im not just talking about the binomial question, i mean the whole paper. The first few questions were okkay, but seriously the 7 mark ones (the discriminant was fine) but the essay ones also were SO hard! and i studied my ass off :frown:
everyone in my class came out finding the whole paper hard, not just the binomial questions :frown: i hope the grade boundaries are low!
no but im not just talking about the binomial question, i mean the whole paper. The first few questions were okkay, but seriously the 7 mark ones (the discriminant was fine) but the essay ones also were SO hard! and i studied my ass off :frown:
everyone in my class came out finding the whole paper hard, not just the binomial questions :frown: i hope the grade boundaries are low!

ooh.. sry to hear that.. hope the grade boundaries are low too, cz also i did well in everything, the 7 mark binomial question was really bad :s-smilie: i know that the highest a boundary eve got since 2008 for a tz2 was a 78, and the lowest it went down to was a 67 (for paper 1) and since tz2 is always more difficult than tz1, i hope the boundary for a 7 is abt 75 :smile:
I didn't find it that easy to be honest...may 2011 that was a easy one!!! btw there were many easy topics missing, such as aritmetic sequences (come on!), matrices and all those easy things! so many functions, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
Reply 11
Original post by aeyurttaser13
ooh.. sry to hear that.. hope the grade boundaries are low too, cz also i did well in everything, the 7 mark binomial question was really bad :s-smilie: i know that the highest a boundary eve got since 2008 for a tz2 was a 78, and the lowest it went down to was a 67 (for paper 1) and since tz2 is always more difficult than tz1, i hope the boundary for a 7 is abt 75 :smile:

aw i cant believe how hard i found it :frown: plus today, suckkkkkkss
aw i cant believe how hard i found it :frown: plus today, suckkkkkkss

i think just like KeelyEverywhere mentioned, i was disappointed that there weren't ANY sequences and series, logs, or matrices questions.. although i laughed when i saw that bs of a question the first one.. since when do we have THAT easy questions in IB? :tongue: but also i was hoping we would have a vectors question too instead of one of the section B q's that was hard. anyway the best of luck, hope the boundaries r low and u get the grade u want :smile:

IT WAS TERRIBLE oh my goodness.
Reply 14
I got n=13 for question 7... anyone else???
Reply 15
Original post by dstandish
I got n=13 for question 7... anyone else???

i got 7, but i guessed :frown:
Reply 16
anyone here do paper 1 TZ1
im from Canada !!
Hi I did TZ1 and found it so difficult!! Like I expected to get a 7 but now I know I'll probably get a 6.. The timing was the worst part!!
Question 7, 7 points, the answer was 7, and you'll probably get a 7 if you said 7. Spooky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (By the way, the rest of the paper was so easy, you should be ashamed of yourself if you thought otherwise).
Original post by Snakeskin94
Question 7, 7 points, the answer was 7, and you'll probably get a 7 if you said 7. Spooky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (By the way, the rest of the paper was so easy, you should be ashamed of yourself if you thought otherwise).

totally agree.. it was the only challenging question and i think i got it wrong, but hopefully some points for method :smile: and im expecting an 80-85

Quick Reply

Latest