The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

University of Leicester - is it worth buying a bus pass?

A bus pass is like £350 or £400 and I'm wondering if it's worth getting one since I'm not sure I'll even use the bus often enough to make it total over £350 so I'm really unsure on whether or not it's worth getting one.

What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I lived in halls all three years and definety wouldn't have been without mine. I could pop to and from uni several times during the day or into town without paying lots for the bus or having to walk in the rain etc.

There were people who didn't have one and just used to walk but personally I would think it would be a good investment.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by QI Elf
I lived in halls all three years and definety wouldn't have been without mine. I could pop to and from uni several times during the day or into town without paying lots for the bus or having to walk in the rain etc.

There were people who didn't have one and just used to walk but personally I would think it would be a good investment.

Do you know how to purchase it prior to starting Leicester? :smile:
Lived in halls last year, and honestly the walk into town is a killer. 30 mins at least, so you will want to use the bus probably more than twice a day depending on your timetable/social life/societies. The price has gone up significantly but so have the fares I would assume. A bus pass would be a sound investment. Also which halls are you and fallenangel going to be in? I'm a beaumont fellow myself :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thegoodthebadandtheTom
Lived in halls last year, and honestly the walk into town is a killer. 30 mins at least, so you will want to use the bus probably more than twice a day depending on your timetable/social life/societies. The price has gone up significantly but so have the fares I would assume. A bus pass would be a sound investment. Also which halls are you and fallenangel going to be in? I'm a beaumont fellow myself :smile:

Yeah I'll definitely be picking it up (although it is pretty expensive)

I'll be in John Foster -The Coppice :smile:
Original post by QI Elf

I'll be living at mary gee, have a car and plan on taking a bike too. Would ride most mornings so I'm guessing it would be cheaper for me to just pay for individual fares?
Original post by isitinyet?
I'll be living at mary gee, have a car and plan on taking a bike too. Would ride most mornings so I'm guessing it would be cheaper for me to just pay for individual fares?

You're pretty much set there. I took my bike the last term and its a decent ride. My best is about 12 minutes doorstep to library.
Original post by fallenangel
Yeah I'll definitely be picking it up (although it is pretty expensive)

I'll be in John Foster -The Coppice :smile:

Ah I spent many fun evenings with friends at the coppice. Rooms are big, clean, and very warm. I am going to watch UoL fresher threads for anyone moving into Wighton, so I can tell them about the chamber of secrets :biggrin:
Reply 8
Ah I spent many fun evenings with friends at the coppice. Rooms are big, clean, and very warm. I am going to watch UoL fresher threads for anyone moving into Wighton, so I can tell them about the chamber of secrets :biggrin:

I can't wait to start :biggrin:

& haha - I actually want to know more about this Witchcraft and Wizardry at Wighton :tongue:
You're pretty much set there. I took my bike the last term and its a decent ride. My best is about 12 minutes doorstep to library.

it's all down hill on the way isn't it? I'm so lazy...
Yes and buy it as soon as you can with the discount - I put it off and ended up spending a lot more on day/week passes.

Even if you like the walk (and I did the walk quite a few times when the mood took me) there will be times when you need to make the journey quickly or can't be bothered. You're really not going to feel like making the walk back to halls on a cold November evening when you finish a lecture at 6pm, it's pissing it down and everyone else heads to the bus stop...
Original post by TheFatController
Yes and buy it as soon as you can with the discount - I put it off and ended up spending a lot more on day/week passes.

Even if you like the walk (and I did the walk quite a few times when the mood took me) there will be times when you need to make the journey quickly or can't be bothered. You're really not going to feel like making the walk back to halls on a cold November evening when you finish a lecture at 6pm, it's pissing it down and everyone else heads to the bus stop...

How can we get the discount?
Reply 12
I would definitely buy one if I were you, I did in my first year. You will get your money's worth.
I'm starting to think it really is worth getting it, especially with the student discount. If I buy it I know I'll use it a lot to get my moneys worth. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MarzipanButterfly
I'm starting to think it really is worth getting it, especially with the student discount. If I buy it I know I'll use it a lot to get my moneys worth. :smile:

If you live in halls then you'll use the bus almost every day to get to and from campus or town. I did walk occasionally, but I definitely wouldn't fancy doing it on a regular basis as it's about 30-40 minutes from halls to campus. I do know people who didn't have a bus pass, but the vast majority did.
Reply 15
I'm glad I got the bus pass as a fresher but I wouldn't again, the walks not bad and if you've got a bike it's fine, but it's good for meeting people and you don't want to be the only one in your flat not getting the bus.
If you're in Mary Gee and likely to have morning lectures don't bother, most of the buses don't stop because they're full.
Oh, and bus prices are really expensive if you don't have a bus pass.
Original post by fallenangel
How can we get the discount?

Last year we had an e-mail through UCAS Media I think - there was also a reference to it in ULSU's Freshers Magazine. I didn't pay much attention to it because I decided not to buy a bus pass - a stupid decision looking back
Reply 17
I didn't get the e-mail?!
I'll be living in JoFo so I wanna buy one of these!
What was the subject of the e-mail or the sender so I can search for it?
does anyone know how much a monthly student bus pass costs in leicester?
Original post by Kya
I didn't get the e-mail?!
I'll be living in JoFo so I wanna buy one of these!
What was the subject of the e-mail or the sender so I can search for it?

Original post by MarzipanButterfly

For those looking to buy an Arriva Bus Pass:

https://m-ticket.arriva.co.uk/csp/arrivanat/dt.interface.shop.cls

This discount code is valid for the time being, it'll take off £35 so I'd say it's worth getting: 82275117

Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest