The Student Room Group

Referencing websites in text, harvard style!!

Answer :smile: :
With this example I would just do (Hawking, 2000) in the text and then
Hawking, S. (2000) title of article/webpage. Available at: Accessed on 7/12/2007.

Detailed answer is in post #2.

Hey,

sorry to be a nuisance, this has probably been asked so many times!

i just need to know how to reference websites in the text, do i put the whole website and the date or what?

argh!

thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Google has the answer.

Website with author
Take the information from the webpage itself or the associated homepage - use the title bar and the credits at the bottom of the page, your own date of viewing the page and insert the words [online] and Available from World Wide Web:
FAMILY NAME, INITIAL(S). Year. Title [online]. [Date accessed]. Available from World Wide Web : <url of site>

HAWKING, S. 2000. Professor Stephen Hawking's website [online]. [Accessed 9th May 2002]. Available from World Wide Web: <http://www.hawking.org.uk/home/hindex.html>

Website with no author
Take the information from the webpage itself or the associated homepage - use the title bar and the credits at the bottom of the page, your own date of viewing the page and insert the words [online] and Available from World Wide Web:
Title of website.Year as appearing on site [online]. [Date accessed]. Available from World Wide Web : <url of site>

Feminist Collections A Quarterly of Women's Studies Resources. 2002. [online]. [Accessed 9th May 2002]. Available from World Wide Web: <http://www.library.wisc.edu/libraries/WomensStudies/fcmain.htm>

Use MLA though, Harvard sucks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
creak
Google has the answer.

Link

Use MLA though, Harvard sucks.

Hello, thanks for your help. See what you have given me what I know, that's what frustrating me!! I need to know how to reference in the actually text throughout the essay but can only find info for the bibliography :mad:

I have to use Harvard, sucks I know :frown:
Reply 3
Just subscribing for posterity...
Reply 4
With the google example I would just do (Hawking, 2000) in the text and then
Hawking, S. (2000) title of article/webpage. Available at: Accessed on 7/12/2007.
Reply 5
thank you. im not sure if the (hawking, 2000) is APA style or Harvard :s-smilie:
Reply 6
(Hawking, 2000) is harvard style citing, I used that all last year at uni and my referencing was never marked down.
This has been sooo useful, but how would you cite the second reference you gave? if the website has no author, what would you write?? cheers
If the website has no author, then I would just write (Title of website, Year accessed) in the text. :h:
I use a link called Neil's toolbox for all my references I swear it's a god send!

Posted from TSR Mobile
how do you reference quotes in the body of your essays and NOT in the bibliography?
I keep getting marks dropped for referencing quotes wrongly and i really want to get it right...
Normally i would lay it out in the following format and make the referencing a smaller font to the main body of text:

"quote" [authors of article if given if not skip,website name,page/article name (publish on-line date),[online](date accessed: xx/xx/xx)]
Original post by Shadowsfear
how do you reference quotes in the body of your essays and NOT in the bibliography?
I keep getting marks dropped for referencing quotes wrongly and i really want to get it right...
Normally i would lay it out in the following format and make the referencing a smaller font to the main body of text:

"quote" [authors of article if given if not skip,website name,page/article name (publish on-line date),[online](date accessed: xx/xx/xx)]

Hey, does your course provide a referencing guide? That should explain exactly what you need to do.

There's a guide from Reading uni here which might be helpful?

If you have a quote you should reference it properly in the references section, not the main body. The only text you should see in the main body is (author(s) year) eg (Smith 2012). Your uni will have a guide for the way they want you to reference things, have a look there.
Reply 13

If you are using Harvard style referencing, then your in-text citations will be as in post #7 - "quote" (authors, year, page numbers if applicable)

http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/harvard.htm#

Has your institution given you any directions?
thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm actually a final year college student but my course requires Harvard referencing to be used.
The only guidance we were given was how to reference books and websites, but seen as they keep telling us we must include at least 1 quote or paraphrase per piece of work, i assumed that they needed referencing too.
Sounds like a pain. Might practice it on my blog ahead of uni.
we must include at least 1 quote or paraphrase per piece of work, i assumed that they needed referencing too.

They do, you just have to reference the book or other place you took the quote from.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
Sounds like a pain. Might practice it on my blog ahead of uni.

If you're that keen you can check your uni's referencing guide (they're often publicly available). Have a look at RefWorks too - it can reference all your articles properly for you. If you can get to grips with referencing properly then you'll save a lot of time later.
Original post by Duncan2012
If you're that keen you can check your uni's referencing guide (they're often publicly available). Have a look at RefWorks too - it can reference all your articles properly for you. If you can get to grips with referencing properly then you'll save a lot of time later.

Thanks (in the middle of the applications cycle but I can still do what you suggest). I'd much prefer to get to grips with it in my gap years than being marked down :tongue:.

What style does your University use?
Original post by keromedic
Thanks (in the middle of the applications cycle but I can still do what you suggest). I'd much prefer to get to grips with it in my gap years than being marked down :tongue:.

What style does your University use?

You can learn it all in an hour or two, it's not that taxing! Certainly not worth spending any gap year time on it at this stage.

On my course we used Harvard (http://libguides.rgu.ac.uk/rguharvard) but some departments use Vancouver. Even within each system there is a particular style which you'll need to know - each uni can be different. If you don't know where you're going yet then there's no point learning all the details - maybe get an overview and go back to it once you know where you'll be going. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest