The Student Room Group
University of York
York

American student considering a Msc in Archaeology at York

Hello,
My name is Holly and I really would love to go to the University of York for my masters in Archaeology or Paleoanthropology!

I just recently graduated with a double degree in Anthropology and Geological Sciences.
My background consists of two field schools, a thesis, several museum and archaeological internships, several grants and an overall GPA of 3.44 (the equivalent to a Upper Second).

I have yet to take the GRE (Graduate Readiness Exam), but I am unsure if York requires one (or test equivalent). The Department website seems vague, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places or maybe I need to start an application to get full details. I have read the prospectus, and it provides great information but I still would love to talk with someone!

I started this thread because I have so many questions (e.g. housing, day to day costs, loans, student funding, level of acceptance, deadlines, etc) but wanted to test the waters before releasing any flood gates. :smile:

If you are available to chat or have some opinions or pointers, I would love to listen to you.
Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Holly1389
Hello,
My name is Holly and I really would love to go to the University of York for my masters in Archaeology or Paleoanthropology!

I just recently graduated with a double degree in Anthropology and Geological Sciences.
My background consists of two field schools, a thesis, several museum and archaeological internships, several grants and an overall GPA of 3.44 (the equivalent to a Upper Second).

I have yet to take the GRE (Graduate Readiness Exam), but I am unsure if York requires one (or test equivalent). The Department website seems vague, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places or maybe I need to start an application to get full details. I have read the prospectus, and it provides great information but I still would love to talk with someone!

I started this thread because I have so many questions (e.g. housing, day to day costs, loans, student funding, level of acceptance, deadlines, etc) but wanted to test the waters before releasing any flood gates. :smile:

If you are available to chat or have some opinions or pointers, I would love to listen to you.
Thanks!

Hello, don't know all that much about the course itself but I know you'll be based in King's Manor, which is absolutely gorgeous and a great place to be. There's a large american community who do masters there (and medieval/18th century masters in various fields there too). The uni can offer you postgrad accommodation, some on campus, some in town, neither of which is particuarly cheap but much better than
most UK universities. As for day to day costs, food is quite cheap, nowhere near as cheap as the USA though. No idea for loans and/or student funding think that'll be covered elsewhere.

Best of luck
University of York
York
Reply 2
Wow, thank you for this excellent response! Yeah I saw photos of King's Manor and it looks amazing. Thanks for this information! I will keep it in mind when comparing universities. Everywhere else so far has been far more expensive in comparison. And this school luckily has student loan options for American students.

Thanks again
Hi! I know this thread is a bit dead, but I thought I'd try to help where I can. I'm applying to do MA Medieval Archaeology at York. I will be new to York, so I can't answer all your questions, but I'll try.
The university has some scholarships for international students (which you can about at www.york.ac.uk/study/international/fees-funding/scholarships) and there are loads of other organisations out there providing funding for postgrads: there's probably something you'd be eligible for.
It seems like you have a pretty good background, I'm sure you stand a good chance of getting accepted.
Are you thinking of applying anywhere else in the UK?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending