The Student Room Group

Computer Science - Many Girls?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoffa
Thank God for super-ego.

I don't mind you trying to be politically correct, but that whole prattle about viewing all women as objects is nothing I have ever mentioned or implied. Maybe you should stop projecting your own insecurities, personal prejudices and being such oh-so-wise bigot. I know it sounds cliché, but truth hurts; it's something you lock deep inside of you, and react awkwardly and in a very defensive stance when someone suddenly shovels it out. "[...] doesn't mean every guy does", of course, I'm not saying every guy wants to have sex with their girly female friends; as I mentioned in my previous post, it doesn't apply to homosexuals.

But who knows, maybe if you lie to yourself and to others long enough, women will think you're a nice guy and suddenly you become a mobile pussy magnet. Maybe one day you'll penetrate the piehole of that cute female friend of yours... oh wow, who am I kidding, you're not like the others.

1) You do not know me and I currently do not want to shag any girl on my course and it's not because I'm gay, I'm straight :lolwut:
2)what you are saying is if given the chance EE, CompSci guys will bone their female friends because they are deprived of sex, I think you've been watching too much of the American classroom stuff you need to get it out of your head.
3)You may lack respect for woman and view them as just another hole if their blond, wear above the knee skirts etc I got to know girls on my course who are much more about their personalities and belief's than just another slut waiting to be banged and they are becoming more interesting to me in a platonic way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Another girl here applying for Computer Science :smile:

I knew since I was 11 I wanted to study it in uni :P
Reply 22
Same with me. What schools did you guys apply to?
Reply 23
Loughborough, Aston, UEA, queen Mary's and Sussex :smile: where did everyone else apply?
Reply 24
Hopefully there will be a somewhat balance between both males and females at Kings for this course :biggrin: ....when I go atleast
Reply 25
look on unistats, overall Its like 80:20 ratio.
Reply 26
Yay more girls for computer science :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Id and Ego seek
There's too many man, too many many man.

Boy better know.
Reply 28
I'm doing a foundation course and if I pass I will be at Sheffield next year. ^_^
Reply 29
The new CS GCSE should make the ratio a bit better. In like 5 years though.
Reply 30
Original post by hoffa
There's a reason why those guys are very willing to hang out with you. The majority of guys around you secretly (or not so secretly, but as it's EE I'd go for the former) want to have sexual intercourse with you (unless the chap is homosexual). You might not be aware of it, but the sexual attraction's always there (unless you're some manly dyke), whether you like it or not. Those guy friends of yours wouldn't at all mind having some physical contact with you, keep that in mind next time you see them. Oh and there's nothing wrong with casual sex.

Oops, I didn't mean to tell the truth intentionally, my bad.

lol so bitter
I'm doing CS tooooo!! :biggrin: girl power lol!
Reply 32
What A-level subjects have you girls done? :smile:
Original post by lizzxo

Original post by lizzxo
Loughborough, Aston, UEA, queen Mary's and Sussex :smile: where did everyone else apply?

UCL, Birmingham, Sussex, Queen Mary and Brunel
Reply 34
I want to do Computer Science!
Currently doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Physics and English Lit & Lang.
I've been at an all girls school for 6 years or whatever, so I have no idea what to expect .. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Very few girls
Original post by Luna.
I want to do Computer Science!
Currently doing AS Maths, Further Maths, Chem, Physics and English Lit & Lang.
I've been at an all girls school for 6 years or whatever, so I have no idea what to expect .. :biggrin:

You can expect to find male intellectuals with big ideas trying to make their mark in this world whilst unleashing the nerdiness in class-room discussion that will inevitable turn into a topic about Star Wars or who's got the best Kill~death ratio on COD or even a debate with Apple Iphone Vs Android or what OS is best. I guess it would liken to compare yourself going into a Supermarket and buying EVERY brand of chocolate taking it home and sitting in the middle of your living room whilst listening to a Led zeppelin album be tossing all the chocolates above your head and letting off a tiny scream.
(edited 12 years ago)
Apologies in advance for the blatant plug, but I thought some of you might be interested in the Women in Computer Science taster day we've got coming up in March. It's totally free and we've still got places available. You get the chance to hear from some of the (male and female) CS researchers and lecturers here at Oxford, as well as some current undergraduates.

(For those students who started with us this year, we made 14% of our offers to women. Not as high as we'd like, but that's why we're doing things like the Women in CS day I mentioned above.)
(edited 12 years ago)
You might be interested in some of the events below targeted at women in Computer Science.

> The London Hopper colloquium for women engaged in computing research, BCS London, 15th May 2012
> http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/women/LondonHopper2012.php
>
> The Lovelace colloquium for female undergraduate and masters students, Bath 12th April 2012
> http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/cs/employability/lovelace-colloquium/.
>
> The 2012 Karen Sparck Jones lecture, honouring the contribution of women to computing research, will be given by Professor Carole Goble FEng on 11th April, in York as part of the BCS Academy Research Symposium, 11th-12th April 2012
> http://academy.bcs.org/content/conWebDoc/42851
>
> And for more women in computing activities, check out
> BCS women
> http://www.bcs.org/category/8630
>
> Girl Geek Dinners
> http://girlgeekdinners.com/
>
> Women in Technology
> http://www.womenintechnology.co.uk/
Currently 13% of our students are women. 15.8% of our applicants this year were women. We haven't finished making all of our offers yet but I will be reporting various statistics on our website later this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending