The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Does anyone know whether Durham offer feedback on applications/interviews for unsuccessful applicants? Trying to think positive about this year but I can't help but have in mind contingencies, it would be extremely helpful for reapplication to know if/where I went wrong.
Reply 181
Original post by MusicNow
Does anyone know whether Durham offer feedback on applications/interviews for unsuccessful applicants? Trying to think positive about this year but I can't help but have in mind contingencies, it would be extremely helpful for reapplication to know if/where I went wrong.

I know Newcastle certainly do (they provide detailed feedback) but not sure for Durham, as their interview is significantly different. During your interview, did they write anything down? For mine, I didn't see them write a thing, which makes me wonder how they had assessed me.

I'm in the same situation as you, really. I'm trying not to think about it, although the whole process will spontaneously go over my head at least once a day. Historically, around 80% of the interviewees get offered a place at Durham, so I'm really hoping that it's the same for this year. Is Durham your first choice? :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by Panda89
I know Newcastle certainly do (they provide detailed feedback) but not sure for Durham, as their interview is significantly different. During your interview, did they write anything down? For mine, I didn't see them write a thing, which makes me wonder how they had assessed me.

I'm in the same situation as you, really. I'm trying not to think about it, although the whole process will spontaneously go over my head at least once a day. Historically, around 80% of the interviewees get offered a place at Durham, so I'm really hoping that it's the same for this year. Is Durham your first choice? :smile:

That's a good point actually, I didn't see them write anything down during the interview. Perhaps they did afterwards so that they had a record? I shouldn't really be thinking about this so much but my need to plan ahead forces me to!

I know that the interviewees to offers ratio is favourable at Durham, I suppose the only problem with that is that as I feel the interview went reasonably well I will be extremely disappointed if I don't get an offer.

Yeah, Durham is my first choice :smile:. I liked the atmosphere around the place and it seems like a more progressive medical school than some. And Newcastle is a lovely city. Would love to get in, I suppose its only a few weeks until we find out now :s
Reply 183
Original post by MusicNow
That's a good point actually, I didn't see them write anything down during the interview. Perhaps they did afterwards so that they had a record? I shouldn't really be thinking about this so much but my need to plan ahead forces me to!

I know that the interviewees to offers ratio is favourable at Durham, I suppose the only problem with that is that as I feel the interview went reasonably well I will be extremely disappointed if I don't get an offer.

Yeah, Durham is my first choice :smile:. I liked the atmosphere around the place and it seems like a more progressive medical school than some. And Newcastle is a lovely city. Would love to get in, I suppose its only a few weeks until we find out now :s

They Probably did write something at the end, but I saw Helen go in a couple of minutes later. Oh well, really have no clue how they assess candidates.

I thought my interview went alright as well, but I could have definitely answered a couple of questions better, having thought about them recently. Ah well, only time will tell.

Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by Panda89
They Probably did write something at the end, but I saw Helen go in a couple of minutes later. Oh well, really have no clue how they assess candidates.

I thought my interview went alright as well, but I could have definitely answered a couple of questions better, having thought about them recently. Ah well, only time will tell.

Good luck!

My feelings exactly, but I came to the conclusion that no one is going to provide perfect answers to every single question, even the best candidates will slip up slightly on one or two.

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
Original post by claire_roche
Does anyone have an interview this Tuesday on the 7th Feb? Getting very nervous now!

Hey,

How did it go?

I've got an interview in Durham on Wednesday.

What was it like? XD
Reply 186
does anyone know when Durham gives out replies? i heard its late march to early april and i think people last year got replies around 15-20th march but not too sure which is why i ask, anyone know otherwise?

just found out from last years post the magical date and time was:15.00 15th March. not sure if that will be the same this year, and its best to call helen in around a week and a half.
(edited 12 years ago)
Helen is the most helpful and wonderful font of knowledge. Just ask her closer to the date, and she'll let you know.
Reply 188
Could only be a couple of weeks to wait now :s
Reply 189
Does anyone know whether Durham holds an Open Day for Offer Holders?
You can call Helen from the 7th March onwards - she told a classmate of mine who had an interview last week, and offers will be sent out around that time (or a few days after).

It looks like Newcastle offers have started to be given out today, so perhaps they'll be out very soon?

Good luck all!
Original post by Panda89
Does anyone know whether Durham holds an Open Day for Offer Holders?

Yeah it does, in September I think.
Reply 192
Original post by Blorcyn
Yeah it does, in September I think.

I meant an Open Day for offer holders only.
Anyone with interviews this week?
Mine's on Tuesday... slightly terrified xD
Original post by Alison1075
Anyone with interviews this week?
Mine's on Tuesday... slightly terrified xD

Tuesday, 9.45am, might see you there depending on when yours is. I think we're on the final day of interviews too.
Original post by Normandy114
Tuesday, 9.45am, might see you there depending on when yours is. I think we're on the final day of interviews too.

Ahh mine's at 11.30am
The FINAL day? Oh my... :redface:
I had my interview on the 1st March and I think it probably could have been a lot better! I sooooooooo want an offer from Durham, the location is so beautiful and everyone there seems so friendly and nice!! Arghhhhhhhhhhhh :frown:
Reply 197
anyone know when durham start giving offers/rejections? and do they wait till they've interviewed everyone? thanks :smile:
Reply 198
Original post by 7palmer
anyone know when durham start giving offers/rejections? and do they wait till they've interviewed everyone? thanks :smile:

i believe the last interviews are tomorrow, they try and get them thru to newcastle around the 7th which is where they will be entered in to ucas, if last year is anything to go by then around the 15th of March 3pm ish. i think its best to call helen come wednesday or end of this week.
Reply 199
Just had an offer from Durham! :smile: Good luck all.

Quick Reply

Latest