The Student Room Group

2012 Uni Applicants for Photography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by twinlensreflex
Ah awesome! :biggrin: In that case maybe I'll meet you properly in September xD (although I'm still veerrry indecisive about where I'll go). Did you apply anywhere else? :smile:

Yeah, that would be cool! I have applied at Uni of east London, Swansea met, Uni College Falmouth, Kingston and newport :smile: You?
Reply 441
I had my interview at Napier yesterday and I got a conditional! It's my first choice and I only need a C at Higher. So all the others that are going to Napier this September, I look forward to meeting you! :biggrin:
Original post by thatplace
Yeah, that would be cool! I have applied at Uni of east London, Swansea met, Uni College Falmouth, Kingston and newport :smile: You?

I have a place at Newport for Photographic Art (but I doubt I'll go there), Swansea Met & then Brighton & Edinburgh College of Art have offered me places too :biggrin:
Reply 443
Original post by ErinS
I had my interview at Napier yesterday and I got a conditional! It's my first choice and I only need a C at Higher. So all the others that are going to Napier this September, I look forward to meeting you! :biggrin:

I've got a place for 2nd year so if I go there I might see you there
Good luck! :biggrin:

It actually went really well, ta. :smile: I got offered a place right there (to quote the guy 'it's guaranteed without saying guaranteed'). It was probably the most informal interview I've had, I'd suggest coming up with a serious question to ask and then a sillier one, we spent most of the interview talking about chocolate, coffee, Easter eggs & beer... They seem to interview in threes, two lecturers and a student (I found a list of staff which might be useful, I had David and Aaron. here). They only really asked the questions that were on the letter, but they did ask me to pick out a piece of work and talk about it...ehm. Running out of useful information!

Oh! I thought before I went that the portfolio would be assessed then it'd be decided if I got interviewed or not (I know someone who applied for a different course and they did that), but everyone who turns up gets interviewed. They must be interviewing a huge amount of people, there were three separate interviews going on at once... I'm glad it's over though :biggrin:

Ah well that's comforting to read! I think I'm nervous because they were so big on the foundation and all that and I haven't done that so I want to make sure I say all the right things. Heading down there tomorrow afternoon!
Original post by procrastination...
Ah well that's comforting to read! I think I'm nervous because they were so big on the foundation and all that and I haven't done that so I want to make sure I say all the right things. Heading down there tomorrow afternoon!

I haven't done one either :smile: The way they brought it up was 'how would you feel being one of the youngest on the course?', which was a tad sneaky...as long as you can justify it somehow I think they'll be cool with it. Good luck! :biggrin: Let us know how it goes? :smile:
Reply 446
Original post by ChrisMcFall
What'd you think to MMU? Had my interview yesterday.

I liked it, had already seen it at the open day though so had already done the tour etc.
& the interview, well I couldn't really tell how it had gone but the presentation wasn't half as bad as I was expecting!
Had my interview Friday afternoon and got an offer Monday afternoon- wasn't expecting that because he told me its usually 2 week or maybe more 'cause of the holidays.
But it's going to be my second choice because I've had my heart set on Nottingham for ages haha
what about you how did it go?
Original post by LauraG1992
I liked it, had already seen it at the open day though so had already done the tour etc.
& the interview, well I couldn't really tell how it had gone but the presentation wasn't half as bad as I was expecting!
Had my interview Friday afternoon and got an offer Monday afternoon- wasn't expecting that because he told me its usually 2 week or maybe more 'cause of the holidays.
But it's going to be my second choice because I've had my heart set on Nottingham for ages haha

I thought it was alright, I was only giving my presentation in front of one other. The buildings etc were a fair bit older than I imagined, but the lecturers seemed pretty good.
(edited 12 years ago)
I haven't done one either :smile: The way they brought it up was 'how would you feel being one of the youngest on the course?', which was a tad sneaky...as long as you can justify it somehow I think they'll be cool with it. Good luck! :biggrin: Let us know how it goes? :smile:

Ah oh right! Yeah I'll come up with something for that :tongue: thanks a lot :smile: yeah I will!
ECA's Euclid has just changed my application status from "pending our decision" to a blank box...... I'm guessing this is bad news??....:s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Can I be cheeky and ask what the darkrooms and stuffs are like at ECA? I couldn't make my applicant day D:

Oh the facilities at ECA were amazing! The darkrooms just seemed to go on and on and on, like a maze. The studios seemed slightly on the small side but since there is such a small number enrolled in each year space is apparently never a problem. The fine art rooms were amazing too, the views looked straight onto the castle.
Original post by Astroknots
ECA's Euclid has just changed my application status from "pending our decision" to a blank box...... I'm guessing this is bad news??....:s-smilie:

From what I've read on the Edinburgh thread blank box = they're updating your decision. Good luck! :biggrin: They seem to like doing it in the evening, although it could take a while to show up...
Reply 452
Original post by eleask1
I've got a place for 2nd year so if I go there I might see you there

:smile: I am ridiculously excited. I'm guessing you have done photography at college to get into second year?
Reply 453
Hi guys!

Bit late but wanted to add my experiences thus far.

Applied for
- Ravensbourne in London (just as a compromise with the girlfriend, though)
- Coventry
- Brighton
- UWE in Bristol (1st choice)
& Commercial Photography in Bournemouth (2nd choice)

I haven't heard from Ravensbourne at all, but not bothered about that. Plus I heard they just offer places, they don't even do interviews.

Had an interview at Bournemouth and was bricking it 'cause I forgot that they want a foundation degree - I'm applying straight from A-Levels - on top of that had a lecturer that kind of intimidates you into respecting him that scared the crap out of me. He kept interrupting me and I didn't know if I was doing well or not, thought it all went terribly wrong. But! Less than 12hrs later I had an offer which I was really happy about, especially after they made such a fuss about doing foundation degrees first.

To the people who got Rejections for Commercial Photography course there because they didn't take art A-Levels I'd say it's fair enough. I've done 2 years of continuous contextual research and experimentation before I started figuring out what I really want to do and also what I'm good at. In that case the general course would let you explore these options so no loss for you guys :smile:

Also, just got back from Bristol tonight - the interview there went swimmingly. They were really friendly and laid back and complimented me on the standard of my work and also the answers I was giving and afterwards they straight away told me they really want me there. So I'm over the moon!

UWE doesn't have the most flashy, cool-looking or pretty campus but the city is amazing, the atmosphere on the campus seems fantastic and really friendly and everybody seems to have a very hands-on attitude with things which I respect. Facilities wise they're great, just didn't sell themselves as well as the others, but I think that's down to their very laid back and open/honest attitude.

Going to Brighton tomorrow, and here's the impressions I got from the open day:
- I was told that commercial photography is a 'dirty word' at Brighton Uni
- Facilities weren't impressive, plus didn't like how photog students are banished to a tiny little building at the back of the Grand Parade
- Like others have experienced, they pretty much tried to put me off from applying as I haven't done a foundation
- 80% of the staff and students I spoke to that day (and I spoke to loads wanting to prepare best I could since I expected it to be difficult to get in) seemed a bit stuck up and unhelpful - however I have met a student and a lecturer who were both a massive exception to the rule, just so I'm not being unfair here. But in general, didn't like the vibe even though I love the city.

So I decided to definitely not go to Brighton since the course isn't 100% what I'm looking for, but I'm going to attend the interview 'cause I'm curious how it'll turn out, and a small part of me kind of wants to stick it to them for being the way they were during the open day...

Then just got Coventry left.

I have to say I've been using a lot of these as an excuse for one-day holiday :P

Good luck to everyone else if anyone's still having interviews!
Original post by ronnalee

Going to Brighton tomorrow, and here's the impressions I got from the open day:
- I was told that commercial photography is a 'dirty word' at Brighton Uni
- Facilities weren't impressive, plus didn't like how photog students are banished to a tiny little building at the back of the Grand Parade
- Like others have experienced, they pretty much tried to put me off from applying as I haven't done a foundation
- 80% of the staff and students I spoke to that day (and I spoke to loads wanting to prepare best I could since I expected it to be difficult to get in) seemed a bit stuck up and unhelpful - however I have met a student and a lecturer who were both a massive exception to the rule, just so I'm not being unfair here. But in general, didn't like the vibe even though I love the city.

So I decided to definitely not go to Brighton since the course isn't 100% what I'm looking for, but I'm going to attend the interview 'cause I'm curious how it'll turn out, and a small part of me kind of wants to stick it to them for being the way they were during the open day

I felt totally the same; they came off as really pretentious & a bit smarmy for what they actually had. I went to my interview on Tuesday just as a kinda 'what can go wrong? I have my 3 offers' sorta thing. But interview = awesome, the staff who interviewed me were sweet. I think it'll probably be my insurance.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 455
Original post by ErinS
:smile: I am ridiculously excited. I'm guessing you have done photography at college to get into second year?

I'm in 1st year at college just now, I can't stand Aberdeen so I'm going to uni elsewhere rather than stay for 2nd year.
Reply 456
just firmed Nottingham Trent eeeeeek:biggrin:

It went pretty well, they said I'd hear from them in a couple of days through ucas so fingers crossed! They asked me why I applied since they ask for a foundation which took me by surprise, so I hope I said the right things.
Original post by procrastination...
It went pretty well, they said I'd hear from them in a couple of days through ucas so fingers crossed! They asked me why I applied since they ask for a foundation which took me by surprise, so I hope I said the right things.

Eeee! good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by LauraG1992

What was their offer btw?

Quick Reply

Latest