The Student Room Group
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University

Strathcylde University or glasgow caledonian university

I have a conditional from both Strathclyde University and glasgow caledonian university but are unsure where to go. Strathclyde is to do Maths and caledonian is to do Forensic investigation. Has anyone done either of these courses and could give me any information on these course. Also is any one planning in doing any of these course this year at these universities.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey,

I don't go to either of these but I live just outside Glasgow and from what people say Strathclyde is a better if not more pretentious uni whereas Caley hasn't really been a uni that long so I think people still regard it as a 'college' rather than a uni. But I've got friends who have been to both and no-one has anything bad to say about either :smile: good luck in your choice!
City campus, Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University
Well overall strathclyde is the better university, infact many people regard strathclyde as the best uni in glasgow out of strathy, caley, glasgow and UWS. And remember caley is an ex Poly, however don't let that put you off too much because it's still a very good institution (gordon brown used to teach there). Apparently the maths course at strathy is really good, not sure what the rankings are but I've heard good things about the department. Caley has also got a strong forensics department. It all really depends on what course you prefer, what kind of job you get out of it and where you'd prefer to study. I don't know what kind of job you would get with a forensics degree other than well forensics lol. But I know maths is very versatile where you can go into anything from teaching and research to management, finance, anylitical jobs etc. If I were to pick between the two universities I would definitely pick strathy over caley any day. But then again you may prefer one course over the other. It's best just to weigh up all the options i.e. prefered course, uni reputation and overall job prospects, not necessarily in that order. :smile:
Reply 3
It depends on what course you want to study! I would say Strathclyde though because It is ranked higher than Cali! Strathclyde is a well established university and the teaching standards are excellent. Went to open days at Strathclyde and Cali and I have to say I favoured Strathclyde since it seems better for the course I want to do! It depends on what you feel though and as I say, it depends on the course you want to take! :smile:
Your graduate prospects are higher if you go to Strathclyde.
But it depends which course you'd rather do.
strathclyde definitely, its got a much better reputation...
I think it really depends on what you want to do and course contend. I got offers from both Caley and Strathy but I chose Caley because it had the course I really, really wanted.
Reply 7
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Well overall strathclyde is the better university, infact many people regard strathclyde as the best uni in glasgow out of strathy, caley, glasgow and UWS. And remember caley is an ex Poly, however don't let that put you off too much because it's still a very good institution (gordon brown used to teach there). Apparently the maths course at strathy is really good, not sure what the rankings are but I've heard good things about the department. Caley has also got a strong forensics department. It all really depends on what course you prefer, what kind of job you get out of it and where you'd prefer to study. I don't know what kind of job you would get with a forensics degree other than well forensics lol. But I know maths is very versatile where you can go into anything from teaching and research to management, finance, anylitical jobs etc. If I were to pick between the two universities I would definitely pick strathy over caley any day. But then again you may prefer one course over the other. It's best just to weigh up all the options i.e. prefered course, uni reputation and overall job prospects, not necessarily in that order. :smile:

Many people think that plane contrails are actually trails of toxic chemicals used by the government to control us. People are weird.
I'm obviously biased as I'm a strathclyder. However we are a pretty good uni whereas Caley is still quite new compared to us and though it does have good courses, ie optometry, pediatry(sp) which I know it's one of the few unis which do I think for something like maths you'd do well to go to Strathclyde.
Original post by Norton1
Many people think that plane contrails are actually trails of toxic chemicals used by the government to control us. People are weird.

Yeah but people have ligitimate reasons for saying strathy is better than the other glasgow unis like strathy being better than glasgow for engineering, business, management etc. Chemtrial conspiracy nuts on the other hand have no ligitimate reasons other than, well being nuts.
Reply 10
Strathclyde is a very strong university for quantitative subjects such as maths and engineering, it's possibly better than Glasgow. If you were choosing between Strathclyde and Glasgow I suppose you'd have to make a tough decision, as it stands firming your offer from Strathclyde is a no-brainer.
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I know this is an extremely late reply, but as far as I know I thought Glasgow Uni was as a whole considered the best uni in Glasgow by most people, just sayin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending