The Student Room Group

Irish passport = fee free Scottish education...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusfox
That's a narrow-minded viewpoint. We all know that fee-free education in England ended under the Labour party, in fact, almost immediately after they were elected.

It's also incredibly naiive to think that had Labour been elected in the last term instead of the Coalition, they wouldn't have found savings for their own version of the cuts in the student finance budget.

I agree, I don't support Labour.
Original post by quavers
Why don't they provide free education for all the UK (inc England and Wales) in addition to the EU, rather than picking and choosing?

The excuse is meant to be that such a free set of institutions would be swamped by students. Not really happening now, is it? It's not like it's hard to be a student in the EU.
Original post by Cyanohydrin
The majority of the English electorate (nationwide, obviously I feel sorry for the English people in places like Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester and so on who did not vote for them) voted for the Conservative Party. If you feel do aggrieved by the fees situation then start voting for parties that want free fees, and stop blaming Scottish people!
What like the Lib Dems?
People don't seem to realise that the reason that EU students get free education isn't because Scotland think it's funny to leave out the English. If there was an option to charge EU students, they would be charged.

Also, since England charges us Scottish students to go there, why shouldn't Scotland charge them?
Original post by Beebumble
What like the Lib Dems?

Haha. Maybe if they had been elected as a majority?
Reply 25
Haha. Maybe if they had been elected as a majority?

Until they saw the IOUs Labour left them with.

You may think this is satire, but they did actually leave a note along these lines - 'sorry, there's no money left'
(edited 11 years ago)

Why anyway? If you want free fees in England then stop electing the tories!

The free fees are paid for through the Barnett formula and legislated through the devolved parliaments, both of which were set up by Labour.

And the only reason we need the fees is because Blair wanted 50% of young people to have degrees.

AND I DIDN'T VOTE FOR THE BLOODY TORIES!!
Original post by seanfromtheblock
People don't seem to realise that the reason that EU students get free education isn't because Scotland think it's funny to leave out the English. If there was an option to charge EU students, they would be charged.

Also, since England charges us Scottish students to go there, why shouldn't Scotland charge them?

Headshot!

Because England charges English, Scottish and EU students the same. Scotland charges Scottish and EU students the same, while leaving out the rest of Britain, even though we're part of the same country and Scottish universities are paid for by British taxpayers.
Reply 29
I love being Scottish at times.......
Original post by Callum828
Because England charges English, Scottish and EU students the same. Scotland charges Scottish and EU students the same, while leaving out the rest of Britain, even though we're part of the same country and Scottish universities are paid for by British taxpayers.

a point made many times in this thread; if you want free higher education, feel free to elect a government that plans to provide it.
Reply 31
The majority of the English electorate (nationwide, obviously I feel sorry for the English people in places like Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester and so on who did not vote for them) voted for the Conservative Party. If you feel do aggrieved by the fees situation then start voting for parties that want free fees, and stop blaming Scottish people!

I live in Manchester, I voted for the Lib Dems, I'm not talking about free fees overall in the UK, I'm talking about Scotland in particular charging English students, yet allowing people from Greece or France study there for free.
Reply 32
a point made many times in this thread; if you want free higher education, feel free to elect a government that plans to provide it.

It's not about wanting a free education, I don't have a problem getting a loan and paying. I have a problem with Scotland (a part of the UK) charging English and Welsh student, yet allowing other EU countries to study there for free.
Original post by quavers
I live in Manchester, I voted for the Lib Dems, I'm not talking about free fees overall in the UK, I'm talking about Scotland in particular charging English students, yet allowing people from Greece or France study there for free.

EU rules. nothing we can do. If we could I bet they would be charged too.
Reply 34

Exactly, England universities charge EVERYONE, they don't pick and choose who will pay and who won't.
Original post by quavers

But Scotland aren't allowed to charge people from "Greece or France" to study here it's against EU laws if it was possible they would be charged.

My government does provide free higher education, paid for out of my taxes. It just doesn't provide to me because I was born in the wrong part of the country.

We get a budget and the Scottish government chooses to use it in this way, to provide Scots with free education.
Reply 38
Original post by marcusfox
If you didn't read the article, you could at least have read my OP.

No, the article does seem to be a big vague on that point. It isn't really clear if they mean England and Wales too. :s-smilie:

Anyway, I really hope it's not the case. I have an Irish passport and would definitely have applied to Scottish unis had I known. :frown:

Oh well, at least the Welsh government are being nice about the fees.:tongue:
Original post by Shabalala
But Scotland aren't allowed to charge people from "Greece or France" to study here it's against EU laws if it was possible they would be charged.

The principle of that law is to allow free movement of students within the EU. So while the Scottish Executive is technically within its rights to charge English, Welsh and NI students while not charging Scots, it completely violates the principle of the law as well as the principle as national solidarity. Since Scotland is in fact in the same country as England, Wales and NI.

Quick Reply

Latest