The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bammy jastard 27
I passed second time. Just say mirror in a small tone to remind yourself and the examiner that you are using your mirrors. If you stay in your lane when you do the manoeuvre you won't be penalised.

Thing with this is, some people say mirror and turn their head like a parrot, but mostly aren't actually looking at what is in their mirrors so will do dangerous things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5861
Original post by Shorty94
Thing with this is, some people say mirror and turn their head like a parrot, but mostly aren't actually looking at what is in their mirrors so will do dangerous things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably true but at least the examiner knows that you are making a conscious effort to look.
Just saw this thread. Passed on my 5th. (A while back). The only piece of advice I can give you is to chill/relax and drive. (If i did that on a test it wouldn`t have taken so many tries) And don`t beat your self up for failing.
Original post by onebro
Just saw this thread. Passed on my 5th. (A while back). The only piece of advice I can give you is to chill/relax and drive. (If i did that on a test it wouldn`t have taken so many tries) And don`t beat your self up for failing.

How did you pull yourself up after your 4th try? What did you do differently? Did you fail on the same kind of things or would you say it was just bad luck?

Just failed my first time and devastated, mainly because of the costs but I know I can drive well enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5864
Original post by _Dreamville_
How did you pull yourself up after your 4th try? What did you do differently? Did you fail on the same kind of things or would you say it was just bad luck?

Just failed my first time and devastated, mainly because of the costs but I know I can drive well enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I failed my first time. One thing to consider is that it is easier to get a serious than 15 minors. My second time I drove considerably worse overall but because I didn't get a major I passed it. Essentially calm down and drive. Remember the rules of the road and just drive like you normally would, stay within the speed limit, remember who has right of way and on roundabouts enter in the correct lane.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just failed my first driving test and am gutted. I ended getting five minors and 1 major because I tried moving out of an ambulances way and nearly ended up blocking it. I'm really upset and am now trying to book another test but there is literally no availability.
Does anyone have any tips?
Failed my driving test today!
I got reverse around a corner and emergency stop.
My nerves got the better of me and the emergency stop didn't help, however, I did those two manoeuvres perfectly and didn't get any minors for them.
I did get a major for not giving way when I should have, there was a queue of traffic backed up and I went to go ahead and join it as I thought I had right of way, turns out I didn't and some woman didn't see me and nearly ran straight into the car! My own fault really and I realised as it happened, I just panicked and felt like I didn't have time to think.

I had a pretty good drive other than that though and I'm confident I'll pass second time. I think it's always nerve wracking the first time round. (It is anywAys but especially your first try)

Never give up though! And never lose confidence in yourself, if you don't succeed the first time then try & try again! :-) I have booked my next test already for the 5th August and this time I won't make the mistake of telling people when it is! The extra pressure isn't worth it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5867
Original post by daintydaisy
Failed my driving test today!
I got reverse around a corner and emergency stop.
My nerves got the better of me and the emergency stop didn't help, however, I did those two manoeuvres perfectly and didn't get any minors for them.
I did get a major for not giving way when I should have, there was a queue of traffic backed up and I went to go ahead and join it as I thought I had right of way, turns out I didn't and some woman didn't see me and nearly ran straight into the car! My own fault really and I realised as it happened, I just panicked and felt like I didn't have time to think.

I had a pretty good drive other than that though and I'm confident I'll pass second time. I think it's always nerve wracking the first time round. (It is anywAys but especially your first try)

Never give up though! And never lose confidence in yourself, if you don't succeed the first time then try & try again! :-) I have booked my next test already for the 5th August and this time I won't make the mistake of telling people when it is! The extra pressure isn't worth it.

Yeah I did something similar, had a good test and one stupid mistake meant I failed. Way I see it is that if you don't almost crash the car and the instructor does nothing while you do the manouvres right you will pass the exam. Might get a minor or two but it sounds like you can drive. People do those stupid mistakes on junctions all the time and somehow they have licenses anyway.
Yeah I did something similar, had a good test and one stupid mistake meant I failed. Way I see it is that if you don't almost crash the car and the instructor does nothing while you do the manouvres right you will pass the exam. Might get a minor or two but it sounds like you can drive. People do those stupid mistakes on junctions all the time and somehow they have licenses anyway.

You feel so silly afterwards don't you!
Thing is I told almost everyone that I was having my test today so it's gonna be a bit awkward when I break the news lol!
Yeah, I know I can drive! I just had no idea I would be so nervous, my driving instructor even said that I seemed fine before having my test.

That's what I thought, all those idiots out there who've managed to pass, it should be a piece of cake lol
Reply 5869
You feel so silly afterwards don't you!
Thing is I told almost everyone that I was having my test today so it's gonna be a bit awkward when I break the news lol!
Yeah, I know I can drive! I just had no idea I would be so nervous, my driving instructor even said that I seemed fine before having my test.

That's what I thought, all those idiots out there who've managed to pass, it should be a piece of cake lol

Yeah I told people I had my test as well which was a stupid mistake. I rescheduled the test and the only people who knew were my immediate family.

Yeah trust me, what helped me realise that I'm not a bad driver was my instructor saying that he's seen worse drivers than me pass in his car :rofl: Had a small crash the day before my exam because an idiot turned right on the left hand lane which only had instructions to go straight while I was going straight on the right hand lane(markings said I could do that). I realised that guy had a license and I just started laughing, I'm surprised it took me so damn long to learn how to drive.
Yeah I told people I had my test as well which was a stupid mistake. I rescheduled the test and the only people who knew were my immediate family.

Yeah trust me, what helped me realise that I'm not a bad driver was my instructor saying that he's seen worse drivers than me pass in his car :rofl: Had a small crash the day before my exam because an idiot turned right on the left hand lane which only had instructions to go straight while I was going straight on the right hand lane(markings said I could do that). I realised that guy had a license and I just started laughing, I'm surprised it took me so damn long to learn how to drive.

Yep I'm keeping who knows to a bare minimum!

Hahaha it's true though, even now I see people who've passed and I think how?! That's the thing that worries me the most! You can be the best driver in the world but it's other people you have to be wary of.
I'm assuming you're passed now? congratulations!
You'll have to keep your fingers crossed for my next test haha! Maybe even your toes too!
Just failed my first test today in London, Hendon test centre. Definitely felt ready for it, having done so many lessons but guess not. My examiner grabbed the steering wheel while i was turning round a bend on the dual carriageway and I thought I failed and just gave up after that. Then during the debrief, she told me that she made a fault doing that and it was my second mistake, which I committed after I gave up (basically, I tried squeezing through a car into a right hand lane when turning right at a junction - knew right away I shouldn't have done it but I thought I had already failed so was very disheartened) that made me fail so I guess I was just unlucky and shouldn't have lost faith so quickly. I feel like ****, probably going to drink away my sorrows and book another £62 test. Already took my anger and sadness out on my mirror and lamp and wall so that's just swell. Had only 4 minor faults
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5872
Yep I'm keeping who knows to a bare minimum!

Hahaha it's true though, even now I see people who've passed and I think how?! That's the thing that worries me the most! You can be the best driver in the world but it's other people you have to be wary of.
I'm assuming you're passed now? congratulations!
You'll have to keep your fingers crossed for my next test haha! Maybe even your toes too!

Yeah that's great, I was just like I've got my licence now, I said that I'll have it by the end of the summer.

Yeah other people is what the danger is, not your actual driving usually. If you are driving well then you're not a danger its when other people are driving badly then that's where you're in trouble.

Yeah I passed a few weeks ago. Best of luck for your next test. I was in the same situation as you. I drove worse the second time and I passed my driving test because I didn't do a stupid mistake.

Original post by goodvibes
Just failed my first test today in London, Hendon test centre. Definitely felt ready for it, having done so many lessons but guess not. My examiner grabbed the steering wheel while i was turning round a bend on the dual carriageway and I thought I failed and just gave up after that. Then during the debrief, she told me that she made a fault doing that and it was my second mistake, which I committed after I gave up (basically, I tried squeezing through a car into a right hand lane when turning right at a junction - knew right away I shouldn't have done it but I thought I had already failed so was very disheartened) that made me fail so I guess I was just unlucky and shouldn't have lost faith so quickly. I feel like ****, probably going to drink away my sorrows and book another £62 test. Already took my anger and sadness out on my mirror and lamp and wall so that's just swell. Had only 4 minor faults
Yeah the driving lessons have crippled me financially, especially after failing one. Spent £200 more than I should have really, you'll notice that things will click though when you're doing the test, just drive normally and you'll have no nerves as you're too focused on the driving.
(edited 7 years ago)
I took my first driving test today, was feeling pretty confident and have been test ready for about a month (booked test 3 months ago due to waiting list). I got back to the test centre thinking I'd passed to hear that I failed.
1 major and 3 minors :frown:
The major was for insufficient observation at a cross roads, I didn't even realise (and neither did my instructor) so I'm gutted.
I did so well on all the areas I am usually rubbish in (hesitating, roundabouts, tight corners) so I'm feeling positive overall.
I've booked my next test for the end of September as that was the soonest time available.
I'm at home for the summer as of this weekend so I won't be taking any lessons until 2 weeks before my test at Uni in September.
Let's hope I pass next time!
Post here to vent my frustration at failing my test.

Went in super confident, had a short notice test as i was more than ready to take it.

So blah blah 20 mins into my test my instructor looks at the sheet (he was in the car with me) he says i had 2 minors, was driving perfectly, THEN.
I reach a junction with a giveway line, I approach in 2nd gear and slow right down, but as the road was empty i try to move in 2nd gear but the car stalls and there was a car behind me who went left around me as this happened. So in my mind thats it i'm done, so i turn into a maniac (my examiners word).
I start speeding and i hit a kerb, my minors goes up to 14 (meaning 12 minors in the final 20 minutes).
So heres the kicker, the examiner tells me to perform a turn in the road a maneouvre i can do in my sleep. At this point i'm despondent sighing and shaking my head. So i do the most ridiculous turn in the road and mount the kerb. When i get back to the test centre, the examiner explains to me i didnt fail for the stall or hitting the kerb, but rather for the turn in the road completed 2 minutes before the end. My instructor couldnt believe i failed for something so stupid as he could see I still would have passed even while hitting the kerb and stalling..
So lesson learnt, do not assume you've failed, EVER.
So, I failed my test on thursday with 2 serious and 1 minor.Serious - Speeding (41 in a 40)Serious - Passing too close to a parked carMinor - Stalling during turn in the roadGutted about failing but its just experience, advise from my test is to just to not let the nerves get the better of you and don't assume that you've failed at any point. I thought that the stall would be a major but it was only given as a minor.
I know how annoying! Yeah i do think my nerves got the better of me, and thats distracting me so im not focusing on my surroundings.
Got my third test next week so hopefully i will pass third time!
Ive got my driving test very soon at 8.10 in the morning!! Im sooooo nervous and scared!! Any advice please????
Original post by leanneebabyy
Ive got my driving test very soon at 8.10 in the morning!! Im sooooo nervous and scared!! Any advice please????

How did it go? Hope it went okay!
Havent had my test yet....it is VERY soon though!!! fingers crossed!

Latest

Trending

Trending