The Student Room Group

McGill and UofT Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ishamo
I don't remember the form exactly, can you quote it to me and it may jog a memory of what I did in that section.

''Use this section to request transcripts from Ontario universities and colleges only.
It is the applicant's responsibility to arrange for official secondary school transcripts to be forwarded directly to the universities to which they have applied.
For additional information, read the transcript section on our website.
Click Help at the top of this screen for instructions and transcript request exceptions. Fees are non-refundable.''

What I don't get is what they mean by transcript requests from Ontario Universities and colleges?
Isn't it I who will be sending the transcripts to them?

Anyway, do I have to do anything about transcripts and grades and stuff for Jan 11?
Jan 11 is the date for just the program choices and application fees and personal info, right? :confused:
So should I just leave this section of the ouac form?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by A-haaa
''Use this section to request transcripts from Ontario universities and colleges only.
It is the applicant's responsibility to arrange for official secondary school transcripts to be forwarded directly to the universities to which they have applied.
Click Help at the top of this screen for instructions and transcript request exceptions. Fees are non-refundable.''

What I don't get is what they mean by transcript requests from Ontario Universities and colleges?

Anyway, do I have to do anything about transcripts and grades and stuff for Jan 11?
Jan 11 is the date for just the program choices and application fees and personal info, right?

Yes leave it blank it says form these schools ONLY! This section only applies to people from ontario high-schools. Why would you send transcripts to ontario :P? McGill is in Quebec.
About the deadlines, everything is written down on their website, for the Arts program the january deadline is only for the application and the supporting documents one is in march. It's clearly specified though for each of their programs...
Reply 22
Original post by A-haaa

Jan 11 is the date for just the program choices and application fees and personal info, right? :confused:

As an international you should be completing the form for students outside ontario/canada (I think 105D off the top of my head), as such you send your transcripts (aka current and predicted grades) directly to the admissions departments at the university. The address will be on the website.
Reply 23
Original post by paperstars123
Hello, I know this question has come up millions of times, but I'm another student who's indecisive of whether to apply for McGill or UofT for Economics (BA) (NOT commerce). I was planning to apply to both at first, but only realised how expensive the application fees are recently. Applying to UofT will cost me $220 (canadian dollars), and it's about $100 or 120 for McGill.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can share the differences in living in both cities/course structures/living cost. Thanks! From the information I gathered in the 2011 thread, McGill seems to be a more European-like city with more greenery, whereas Toronto is more populated but also diverse (more shops and restaurants around I guess?)

Also, how would you all compare UofT or Mcgill with UK unis such as Durham and Nottingham? Thanks!

If you are accepted and attend, the deposit (I believe) is taken off your first tuition payment, although I can't remember how it works exactly :/.

In regards of comparison, there really is so much to say. I suggest you look through other posts on here, check out studentawards.com (like canadian TSR, you'll find me as OscarUK), and collegeconfidential.com (like American TSR, again I'm OscarUK) as there is also a lot of information there. Feel free to ask any more specific questions, but a simple comparison is too broad to really go in to.

On living costs, here's a quick overview http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Canada&city1=Montreal&country2=Canada&city2=Toronto
Reply 24
Original post by Ishamo
As an international you should be completing the form for students outside ontario/canada (I think 105D off the top of my head), as such you send your transcripts (aka current and predicted grades) directly to the admissions departments at the university. The address will be on the website.

But transcripts and grades don't have to be sent by Jan 11, right?
Reply 25
Original post by katiesonicboom
Yes leave it blank it says form these schools ONLY! This section only applies to people from ontario high-schools. Why would you send transcripts to ontario :P? McGill is in Quebec.
About the deadlines, everything is written down on their website, for the Arts program the january deadline is only for the application and the supporting documents one is in march. It's clearly specified though for each of their programs...

thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 26
yes i applied to McGill arts too. Good to see someone else applying there too :smile:

oh, is it true that McGill would force us to take credit exemptions, hence shortening the length of our course? i have done A-level economics and history, so wondering whether i can be exempted for certain modules.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by fellowjoe
yes i applied to McGill arts too. Good to see someone else applying there too :smile:

oh, is it true that McGill would force us to take credit exemptions, hence shortening the length of our course? i have done A-level economics and history, so wondering whether i can be exempted for certain modules.

If you do A-Levels/IB/APs/CEGEP then usually your McGill degree would be 3 years not 4 due to you using these courses to count at first year (U0) credits.
Reply 28
Original post by Ishamo
If you do A-Levels/IB/APs/CEGEP then usually your McGill degree would be 3 years not 4 due to you using these courses to count at first year (U0) credits.

ok thanks. so for as long as i've done A levels, i should be able to get credit exemptions?

and if so, our last (third) year will still include honours right?
Reply 29
Original post by fellowjoe
ok thanks. so for as long as i've done A levels, i should be able to get credit exemptions?

and if so, our last (third) year will still include honours right?

you wil simply join in U1, aka the start of the degree program of your major... so yes.
Thanks Ishamo, I looked at other threads on the differences between UofT and McGill, still indecisive at the moment but I'll think of specific questions to ask later. :tongue:

I'm interested to know about transfer credits too, since I do the IB.
For McGill, are credits only transferrable from HL subjects? or does every Ib student go straight into U1 regardless of the subject choices, given that one exceeds the total grade requirements?

Also, if I get a good score in IB, can my course in UofT be shortened to 3 years? I heard from my friend that credits can be transferred for the major only, so she still needs to take 4 years to complete her minors and other subjects, just that her schedule's less hectic.

Btw Ishamo, why do you prefer going to a Canadian university than a UK one? I have no bias against Canadian unis, I'm just curious since TSR says you live in London.
Hello, I know this question has come up millions of times, but I'm another student who's indecisive of whether to apply for McGill or UofT for Economics (BA) (NOT commerce). I was planning to apply to both at first, but only realised how expensive the application fees are recently. Applying to UofT will cost me $220 (canadian dollars), and it's about $100 or 120 for McGill.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can share the differences in living in both cities/course structures/living cost. Thanks! From the information I gathered in the 2011 thread, McGill seems to be a more European-like city with more greenery, whereas Toronto is more populated but also diverse (more shops and restaurants around I guess?)

Also, how would you all compare UofT or Mcgill with UK unis such as Durham and Nottingham? Thanks!

I think it's the following: McGill > UofT > Durham > Nottingham :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Thanks Ishamo, I looked at other threads on the differences between UofT and McGill, still indecisive at the moment but I'll think of specific questions to ask later. :tongue:

I'm interested to know about transfer credits too, since I do the IB.
For McGill, are credits only transferrable from HL subjects? or does every Ib student go straight into U1 regardless of the subject choices, given that one exceeds the total grade requirements?

You can get credits for all your subjects (providing you score 5 or above I think) full details are on the McGill admissions website.

Also, if I get a good score in IB, can my course in UofT be shortened to 3 years? I heard from my friend that credits can be transferred for the major only, so she still needs to take 4 years to complete her minors and other subjects, just that her schedule's less hectic.

UofT is slightly different, as far as I understood it when I applied you have the choice to take the credits or not, and it's not quite as straight forward as skipping first year, although I believe it can be done.

Btw Ishamo, why do you prefer going to a Canadian university than a UK one? I have no bias against Canadian unis, I'm just curious since TSR says you live in London.

Few reasons:
I'm half Canadian by birth (although only ever been twice, once for a holiday and once to check out the unis)
I've got kinda bored of England :wink:
I don't necessarily prefer them, but I got accepted to better unis there than I did here (McGill vs Newcastle, no competition really).
Also, uni funding in this country is plummeting, I also have always wanted to take a gap year (which I am now on) and didn't really fancy the new fees.
Reply 33
Does anyone know the deadline for international applications? I'm applying for Computer Science/Engineering this year for September entry...
Reply 34
Original post by M.R.
Does anyone know the deadline for international applications? I'm applying for Computer Science/Engineering this year for September entry...

It's on the website under "applying" "decisions".
Reply 35
Original post by hoopla dog
Go to McGill since its the best school in Canada

Go to UofT if you want to be a statistic among thousands (and be surrounded by asians [not being racist I have nothing against asians])

Pollocks. (:biggrin:)

I was accepted to both universities, and chose U of T over McGill because it has a much stronger Mathematics and Economics programme.

The nonsense that at U of T you're a statistic is just that - nonsense. Opportunities exist for those who seek them at U of T - show enthusiasm and passion, and your professors will help you get involved and enhance your learning experience.

The "U of T or McGill" debate is so subjective that it precludes justification. Some rankings put U of T first, others put McGill first, and still others alternate them every year.

Both are world-class universities - there's no sense making such dramatic claims.
Reply 36
Original post by Ishamo
It's on the website under "applying" "decisions".

apparently mcgill's deadline has passed on Jan 15th, is it worth bothering to apply?
Reply 37
What do you guys think are the chances of getting into Toronto's track one program with ABB?
Reply 38
Got my McGill offer on Saturday, anyone else?
Original post by Ishamo
Got my McGill offer on Saturday, anyone else?

Congrats! What program? Is McGill your first choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending