The Student Room Group

Anyone else feeling bored & fed up of GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Jesus, you sound like me....

Lol, if I can't accomplish my dream then maybe it's time to help others accomplish their dreams.

And btw, can you reply to my previous message. I bet the answer to the question that I've asked in the previous message will be a big, fat and horrible 'NO'.
Original post by kILLERm
But could I also count this Level 2 Btec Diploma as 1 GCSE. I know I'm a retard for picking something terrible such as that. I wasn't aware of its bad value in yr 9. But now I hate every bit of it. I'm on a D* but could I count that along with my short course as 2 A*s. I mean all that hard work for that Btec subject. It has to be worth at least 1 GCSE or else there's no point me trying in that subject anymore.

To be perfectly honest, I do not know. I don't know much about BTEC's. All I know is they are supposed to be 'equivalent' to a GCSE. Whether Universities take them into account when looking at your GCSE Results is a different matter. I do not know whether the do or not. Sorry I couldn't help you out on that one..

But still try hard in that subject either way.
Original post by kILLERm
Lol, if I can't accomplish my dream then maybe it's time to help others accomplish their dreams.

And btw, can you reply to my previous message. I bet the answer to the question that I've asked in the previous message will be a big, fat and horrible 'NO'.

Please, don't think like that! Otherwise you will be the destructor of your own dreams. Seriously.

I've replied.
Original post by kILLERm
I have decided to pick Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Accounting (although I'll only study Accounting upto AS Level). But I've seen a University which offers a dentistry course for candidates that have achieved a minimum of 3 Grade Cs at A Levels (including 2 science subjects). This is only new which is why the requirements are low. Would I have a chance to get into this University?

Mate, im in the same boat as you. I have always wanted to do dentistry since....well i can remember but to be honest i was a pretty lazy person who NEVER revised, sometimes i got Bs and As but other times i have Ds and Cs.
So it would level out pretty average.
Any who i plan on doing Biology, Chemistry and french (people have told me to do maths but i think my brain would die) I haven't finished my GCSEs but i'm sure when i have done I won't leave with the best grades, especially for a dentistry course which really leaves me in a pickle:s-smilie:
I also heard that in Kings they do a foundation course fr people who want to get in dentistry but it would be an added year for the full 5 year course, I'm not to sure about it so you should research it
Reply 124
Maths and Physics are the BEST Subjects! :biggrin:
I loath English with a passion. I'm good at creative writing and being imaginative, but when it comes to literature, comparing poems and texts, I suck. Stupid god damn literature. :mad:

Am I the only one who thinks Physics is a bit of a drab? Yet I like Maths o.o
Original post by iSoftie
Am I the only one who thinks Physics is a bit of a drab? Yet I like Maths o.o

No way! :O

I must admit, Physics isn't for everyone! I'm the biggest enthusiast in our class :colondollar:

Usually people who like Maths like physics too, with it being so mathematically involved.. But you aren't the only person I know who likes Maths but not physics :smile:

What aspects of physics do you not like? :frown:
Original post by lil-mazie
Mate, im in the same boat as you. I have always wanted to do dentistry since....well i can remember but to be honest i was a pretty lazy person who NEVER revised, sometimes i got Bs and As but other times i have Ds and Cs.
Any who i plan on doing Biology, Chemistry and french (people have told me to do maths but i think my brain would die) I haven't finished my GCSEs but i'm sure when i have done I won't leave with the best grades, especially for a dentistry course which really leaves me in a pickle:s-smilie:
I also heard that in Kings they do a foundation course fr people who want to get in dentistry but it would be an added year for the full 5 year course, I'm not to sure about it so you should research it

Read everything that I have said to kILLERm :smile:
Reply 127
Original post by lil-mazie

Thanks for messaging me about your issues. These are what I'm preicted to get in the summer:

Science Core-A (final result)

Science Additional-A/A*
Maths-A
Geography-A/A*
Media-A
Btec Travel and Tourism- D* (but it's fu*king useless)
English Language-B/A
English Literature-B
Urdu-B/A
RE-A/A* (short course which is also fu*king useless).

I mean I reckon I'm a failure in life. I picked a Btec which is useless and will get me nowhere in life. I have worked extremely hard towards Geography, Maths and my Sciences but nothing else to be honest. I just can't find the time. I really would like to know if my RE and Btec will count as at least 1 GCSE grade each because without them, I can't compete with dentistry candidates.

And yes, i'll check out the dentistry course as soon as I get a chance. Meanwhile could you be generous enough to sort out my problems. After all, we're in the same boat so we should be putting in equal effort to reach the finishing line.
Reply 128
What aspects of physics do you not like? :frown:

Answering on behalf of every sane person: circuits.
Original post by FranticMind
Electronic Engineering with Computer Science, not a double honours but in the final two years I take most of my options from the CS department.

What degrees are you interested in?

I have no idea, so I'm actually looking at everything. I'm leaning towards the creative, and/or the business fields, but taking computer science wouldn't be too beyond me if done with graphics?

How did you decide on your Uni degree? I still haven't got any idea, so I'm doing the IB Diploma next year, haha... :s-smilie:
Original post by Cubic

You read my mind....! :O
Reply 131
Yep, I hate revising for stuff im not interested in and stuff i will never look at again after the exam...
Im looking foward to sixth form.
Original post by Cubic

Haha you have no idea! I have a friend who does physics, when they said they had an electronics lab in physics, I joke about it and can literally answer any question on the topic for him. Protip: Make friends with an Electronic Engineer!!

Original post by crimson.threads
I have no idea, so I'm actually looking at everything. I'm leaning towards the creative, and/or the business fields, but taking computer science wouldn't be too beyond me if done with graphics?

How did you decide on your Uni degree? I still haven't got any idea, so I'm doing the IB Diploma next year, haha... :s-smilie:

Wow IB is supposed to be tough! Well I picked A levels that I was into, so I pretty much narrowed down the degrees into what I could do and what I enjoyed.

I then picked from them what I thought to be the best course relating to what I enjoyed studying at A level. As for university, I picked the highest ranked one that I thought I would enjoy studying at.
Reply 133
I can't wait for year 12. I can focus on my 4 subjects and am kinda looking forward to the challenge. GCSE's are ok but I'm bored of the. As I have been doing then since year 9.
Hey all! Just thought I'd let you know,almost everyone goes through this phase at GCSE, especially as alot of it is just learning dacts.
GCSES are a bore, especially as exam period is over 4-7 weeks! But, just do your best, and it'll be worth it. A-levels are so much better in my opinion, slightly harder, but its easier to manage less subjects, and if you work throughout the year its fine. Revision is somewhat easier than it was for GCSES too! Keep the goal in mind, and good luck all!
Original post by kILLERm
Thanks for messaging me about your issues. These are what I'm preicted to get in the summer:

Science Core-A (final result)

Science Additional-A/A*
Maths-A
Geography-A/A*
Media-A
Btec Travel and Tourism- D* (but it's fu*king useless)
English Language-B/A
English Literature-B
Urdu-B/A
RE-A/A* (short course which is also fu*king useless).

I mean I reckon I'm a failure in life. I picked a Btec which is useless and will get me nowhere in life. I have worked extremely hard towards Geography, Maths and my Sciences but nothing else to be honest. I just can't find the time. I really would like to know if my RE and Btec will count as at least 1 GCSE grade each because without them, I can't compete with dentistry candidates.

And yes, i'll check out the dentistry course as soon as I get a chance. Meanwhile could you be generous enough to sort out my problems. After all, we're in the same boat so we should be putting in equal effort to reach the finishing line.

you've got 8 other subjects which is enough so get good grades in those, and you'll be fine :smile: you can also use the dentistry program created by vulpes to check which universities you are eligble to apply to with your results! But, your results are fine for dentistry!
Original post by kILLERm

Don't think like that, I've been doing that all year ( im in yr 12) and my dad has said well you will fail with that attitude, so now i'm thinking positively, and its actually working, im absorbing more with revision and feel like I will get somewhere.
Can not wait to get rid of gcse's!
Original post by kILLERm
I have decided to pick Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Accounting (although I'll only study Accounting upto AS Level). But I've seen a University which offers a dentistry course for candidates that have achieved a minimum of 3 Grade Cs at A Levels (including 2 science subjects). This is only new which is why the requirements are low. Would I have a chance to get into this University?

I'd advise you didn't take accounting as it is on some university courses black list, it is seen as a 'soft' subject.
Perhaps takes Economics?
Original post by brightbulb
I'm in year 11, and just feeling fed up of school :frown: I can't get the motivation to revise, and am just sick of doing subjects I don't care about :/

Can't wait until sixth form, where I won't have to do so many subjects and none that I hate :biggrin:

Anyone else feeling this way?

I think it's a common feeling, after all the emphasis isn't really on learning anymore and just about cramming and getting a good grade. Just focus on something really great for the near future e.g. a holiday, getting into 6th form, the post-exam relief, and you'll get through fine :smile:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest