The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by la-penseur
oh that's class well done for getting an offer! my best friend is doing medicine too but he got rejected from Glasgow :frown: i'm english lit and history but apparently i have to pick a third subject or something, no idea what to choose though :s-smilie: lol

Thank you i really expected to be reapplying so it was a nice surprise!.. oh really has he got a place somewhere else? yeah i've noticed that but i thought it was more of an American thing, strange you have to do three subjects! what do you reckon you'll go for? :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by maxPP
I have a vague recollection that a fairly large proportion of the first year of dentistry is taught on the main campus. You should probably check with the dental school before picking halls based on its proximity to city centre.

It used to be. Not any more though - majority of the teaching is now in the Dental Hospital.
Original post by MiriamG
Hello!

I just accepted my offer from Glasgow as insurance. Should I apply for accommodation or not? As far as I have seen on the website, it only talks about "if you have firmly accepted your offer..." etc.

Thank you!

You can apply for accommodation only if you have chosen Glasgow as your firm.
Reply 1263
Original post by Emelynaki
You can apply for accommodation only if you have chosen Glasgow as your firm.

thank you
Can someone please help me out? I'm trying to find out a bit more information about Cairncross, is it open plan with no set flats? Has anyone seen it? I saw Murano Street and QM on the applicant's visit day and liked them both, but I don't think I will put QM down purely because I think I would prefer to spend the extra £20 per week on something else!

Also, with having to put down 6 choices in order of preference, what has everyone put? I think I can choose roughly my top 3 but have no idea what to put for the rest of them!

Help!
Reply 1265
Original post by Ju_Dragonslayer
It was a tough choice but in the end I went large first then small.
The cleaning definitely swayed it and I have lived in a small flat before and I want to see how crazy a 12 person flat is :smile:

I hope it isn't too crazy though! :/ I don't want people to think I'm boring if I'm not going out constantly!
Original post by hjenkins6
Can someone please help me out? I'm trying to find out a bit more information about Cairncross, is it open plan with no set flats? Has anyone seen it? I saw Murano Street and QM on the applicant's visit day and liked them both, but I don't think I will put QM down purely because I think I would prefer to spend the extra £20 per week on something else!

Also, with having to put down 6 choices in order of preference, what has everyone put? I think I can choose roughly my top 3 but have no idea what to put for the rest of them!

Help!

Totally agree with you on the extra £20 for QM! Not sure what Cairncross is like but as far as I'm aware, there are very few single rooms, most are twin. For my 6 choices I did:
1. Murano Small
2. Murano Large
3. QM
4. Student Apartments Large Single
5. Student Apartments Single
6. Cairncross Large Single

I'm pretty sure that if Murano is somewhere in your top 3, you'll get a place there!
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Totally agree with you on the extra £20 for QM! Not sure what Cairncross is like but as far as I'm aware, there are very few single rooms, most are twin. For my 6 choices I did:
1. Murano Small
2. Murano Large
3. QM
4. Student Apartments Large Single
5. Student Apartments Single
6. Cairncross Large Single

I'm pretty sure that if Murano is somewhere in your top 3, you'll get a place there!

Brill thanks for your help! Just wondering, what made you put Murano Small above Murano Large?
Hey guys. Just looking for some help with regard to the distance between the vet school and each of the accommodation choices.
I know wolfson is like a 10 minute walk to the vet school, so its going to be my first choice, without the ensuite as the prices are ridiculous. I have no idea about the rest.
Original post by 14loubylou
Thank you i really expected to be reapplying so it was a nice surprise!.. oh really has he got a place somewhere else? yeah i've noticed that but i thought it was more of an American thing, strange you have to do three subjects! what do you reckon you'll go for? :smile:

Yeah he's hoping for Aberdeen I think. I've no idea there's loads I've been thinking of but it probably will be between Philosophy or maybe Geography. I don't even know when I'm meant to pick! I'm actually so excited about uni now :smile: Are you from Scotland?
Yeah he's hoping for Aberdeen I think. I've no idea there's loads I've been thinking of but it probably will be between Philosophy or maybe Geography. I don't even know when I'm meant to pick! I'm actually so excited about uni now :smile: Are you from Scotland?

Ahh cool.. they sound good do you do either of them at sixth form now? Hopefully they'll let you know! yeah i can't wait should be fun :tongue: no i'm from Devon so couldn't have gone much further away haha how about you? :smile:
Original post by hjenkins6
Brill thanks for your help! Just wondering, what made you put Murano Small above Murano Large?

Advice from people I know in Murano at the moment. Also, I wanted to know that although I'll be in the so-called party halls, there'll be a higher chance of me being able to just shut my door and study when I need to. Plus, the idea of sharing only one kitchen with 10-12 people, no thanks!
Reply 1272
Hey =)
Glasgow will be my firm and I was wondering if considering choosing a twin spaces is a bad idea. Any experience or advices ?
Reply 1273
Original post by RockU
Hey =)
Glasgow will be my firm and I was wondering if considering choosing a twin spaces is a bad idea. Any experience or advices ?

Personally the idea of not having somewhere I can retreat to now and then and chill out, watch a film, play the xbox or read a book, is horrible and I don't think I could ever handle that kind of living arrangement. Everyone is different though, you might love it.
Ahh cool.. they sound good do you do either of them at sixth form now? Hopefully they'll let you know! yeah i can't wait should be fun :tongue: no i'm from Devon so couldn't have gone much further away haha how about you? :smile:

Nope wanted to do Geography but ended up having to choose History instead cause the timetable didn't fit. Wow that's so far! I'm sure you'll like Glasgow though it seems really nice. I'm from Belfast myself so only a wee trip over the sea haha.
Nope wanted to do Geography but ended up having to choose History instead cause the timetable didn't fit. Wow that's so far! I'm sure you'll like Glasgow though it seems really nice. I'm from Belfast myself so only a wee trip over the sea haha.

oh that's a shame.. i know.. 12 hours it took me to get home from there in february! yeah i really like it my dad is from glasgow i've been there a bit to see family.. do you go there much? he finds it weird that i'm going there! that's so cool, i'd love an irish accent!
oh that's a shame.. i know.. 12 hours it took me to get home from there in february! yeah i really like it my dad is from glasgow i've been there a bit to see family.. do you go there much? he finds it weird that i'm going there! that's so cool, i'd love an irish accent!

Flip that's ages haha! it's good you have family there though :smile: I've only been twice so don't know it too well so hopefully I like it. lol my mum want's me to stay at home. Queens Belfast my second choice so she's probably secretly praying I miss the grades for Glasgow hehe. I hate it :frown: I think it sounds really rough, at least where I'm from it does :tongue: Is anyone else you know going to Glasgow?
Flip that's ages haha! it's good you have family there though :smile: I've only been twice so don't know it too well so hopefully I like it. lol my mum want's me to stay at home. Queens Belfast my second choice so she's probably secretly praying I miss the grades for Glasgow hehe. I hate it :frown: I think it sounds really rough, at least where I'm from it does :tongue: Is anyone else you know going to Glasgow?

I know it was awful :frown:.. definitely will be flying to uni! i've spoke to some people who go there now and they love it so hopefully it will be good! aww i bet she probably is in a nice way you'll find out for sure if she keeps distracting you doing revision haha, my mum's the same i couldn't have chosen much further away although i didn't intend to go so far just how things worked out! really i don't i prefer it to the softer southern as well, better than my plain accent (it is not famerish though!) No nobody i think the furthest is Liverpool other than me.. how about you? :smile:
Reply 1278
Original post by Jamin
Personally the idea of not having somewhere I can retreat to now and then and chill out, watch a film, play the xbox or read a book, is horrible and I don't think I could ever handle that kind of living arrangement. Everyone is different though, you might love it.

I think I'm like you. I will choose single space :smile:
Thanks !
I have another question though : should I apply for accomodation now or can I wait a little ? I mean, if I apply later, am I sure to have a place ?
I haven't chosen my insurance yet that's why I ask this question.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1279
I really don't know whether to put Murano Large or Small as my first choice...

Quick Reply