The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I am witnessing 'white flight' on my road.

I'm a British Pakistani. I live in an area of Birmingham where whites on my road are 'packing up.' I believe this is because of asians moving in to the area. Why are they leaving? We want them to stay. I havn't spoken to any of them but in the past 2 years I have seen so many moving out. :frown:

What are your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have some thoughts on this, but I've no first hand experience so really couldn't say. That and my opinions might appear to be racially insensitive. Perhaps they feel alienated? Pure conjecture.
Reply 2
You know, many people just decide to get a new house, simply because they want to, not because they're racist...

To Neggers, so if someone wants to move away from the city and to somewhere more quieter. but they're are people of different race on their current street, they're racist? Gotta love the logic of some people
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by noorkhanuk85
I'm a British Pakistani. I live in an area of Birmingham where whites on my road are 'packing up.' I believe this is because of asians moving in to the area. Why are they leaving? We want them to stay. I havn't spoken to any of them but in the past 2 years I have seen so many moving out. :frown:

It's most likely that they want to move somewhere with more space and more parks and stuff but I can see where you're coming from. Where I live I'm lucky because we get on with all of our neighbours and chat over the garden fence and all that but if you can't understand your neighbours or the cultural differences scare you a bit you might be put off. Invite your white neighbours for a cup of tea, organise a street party, get people to volunteer to make a garden, idk. We don't bite you know, we just get scared we'll offend someone :tongue:
The concept of native flight makes no sense because at some point that street would've been entirely indigenous and I don't see why they'd all move away because one Asian family moved there.
Reply 5
They probably just want to escape their creepy neighbour
Original post by cardine92
It's most likely that they want to move somewhere with more space and more parks and stuff but I can see where you're coming from. Where I live I'm lucky because we get on with all of our neighbours and chat over the garden fence and all that but if you can't understand your neighbours or the cultural differences scare you a bit you might be put off. Invite your white neighbours for a cup of tea, organise a street party, get people to volunteer to make a garden, idk. We don't bite you know, we just get scared we'll offend someone :tongue:

Do people actually do that kind of thing? The only time I've ever spoken to my neighbour was when she came to our house crying because she'd lost her ferret (true story) and she wanted to know if we'd seen it. I don't know any of my neighbours names or anything like that. I'd say it's a shame, but most of them seem a bit nuts.

You say that you haven't spoken to them, do the other Asian families make an effort to meet them and integrate with the white population? Or do they keep themselves to themselves?
Do you know that you are the sole reason for them moving out? Maybe they just decided to move to a better house. I think it's because they've lived there for a long time, so you're assuming that you are the reason that they're moving.
This is a phenomenon that is not new and common in the U.S. I understand. I think for some people it may be fear that property prices will go down (whether justified or not) and for others a dislike of Asians or just different people, even though they may not in any way be unpleasant to the newcomers to the area or use any racist language.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by cardine92

No, it's because they don't want to live in a mini-Pakistan.

Even extreme liberal academics have the decency to be honest about the motivations of white flight, so why lie?

White flight is an inevitable outcome of massed immigration and multi-culturalism. Other inevitable and more dramatic milestones are waiting further down on this road to hell.
Reply 11
lol this happened in Lozells back in the 70/80s

it was predominantly a white area..

now it's full of asians and black.
Reply 12
dont know about 'white flight'. to the white people moving, its more like 'black blight'

white people move from these areas because of inevitable rise in crime rates. increase in gang violence. increase in anti white violence.

racist, entitled and introverted attitudes of the some of the immigrants.

loss of community cohesion.

multicultural areas are generally high crime, low quality living areas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by RyanT
No, it's because they don't want to live in a mini-Pakistan.

Even extreme liberal academics have the decency to be honest about the motivations of white flight, so why lie?

White flight is an inevitable outcome of massed immigration and multi-culturalism. Other inevitable and more dramatic milestones are waiting further down on this road to hell.

Or because the area is a ****hole (no offense OP), regardless of which racial group(s) live there?
Perhaps there's been a shift in the housing market, explaining the migration of previous occupants and the arrival of new occupants. Race is probably a coincidence.

they are leaving because they probably feel like a stranger in their community.
Reply 16
Okay,
This may seem racist but it happens all the time. Take Atlanta as a case study for this.

White people get more money and move to better areas whereas imigrants who are either paid less or decide to spend their money on other things stay. As the whites go and more immigrants arrive in the country and come to live close to their family and friends the area becomes more and more racially segragates with pakistani and other asian shops popping up taking over the local british shops.
This causes the area to become evan more desirable to ethnic minorities and less for white british people.
Another factor is that they do, in general, not get as much education as white british students so they find it hard to compete for jobs so cannot move out of the area no matter how much they want to.

Just saying.

In Atlanta the suburbs are mainly white middle class people (the urban sprawl there is horrendous) and the centre and outlying areas are mainly black.

This also happens in the UK with places like Salty in Birmingham where they now have schools filled with none-british originating kids. White parents do not want there kids to be ailienated and as there are areas where there are schools with other whites kids they move to those areas.
Reply 17
maybe you should have spoken to them and gotten to know them better in the past? Sorry but thats the only answer I have besides the 'they're racist' one
Original post by SleepySheep
Do people actually do that kind of thing? The only time I've ever spoken to my neighbour was when she came to our house crying because she'd lost her ferret (true story) and she wanted to know if we'd seen it. I don't know any of my neighbours names or anything like that. I'd say it's a shame, but most of them seem a bit nuts.

Don't want to derail the thread too much...but did she find it?
Original post by Pandabär
Don't want to derail the thread too much...but did she find it?

I have no idea because that's the only time I ever spoke to her. She put loads of 'Lost Ferret' signs everywhere (which I found slightly hilarious) so hopefully someone found it :yes:

But.. err... back on topic. We should all talk to our neighbours more, or whatever this thread was about.

Latest

Trending

Trending