The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by d_94
Here it is :]

thank you!
Reply 81
Hey ,, anyone here kind enough to explain to me a question..
There's a past year question regarding electromagnetic induction ...about the bicycle wheel and the spokes moving in a clockwise direction..

I'm not sure what year is it from,,

(i) Label the hub and rim either plus or minus to show the polarity of the e.m.f.

Answer is HUB "-" and rim "+"...

I don't understand that,,, if you use flemings right hand,,, don't you get otherwise?

Thanks for taking time to read :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by lipton600
Hey ,, anyone here kind enough to explain to me a question..
There's a past year question regarding electromagnetic induction ...about the bicycle wheel and the spokes moving in a clockwise direction..

I'm not sure what year is it from,,

(i) Label the hub and rim either plus or minus to show the polarity of the e.m.f.

Answer is HUB "-" and rim "+"...

I don't understand that,,, if you use flemings right hand,,, don't you get otherwise?

Thanks for taking time to read :smile:

Here is a thread answering your question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1141210
Hope this helps.
Reply 83
Original post by whooshpaddy
Here is a thread answering your question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1141210
Hope this helps.

Hello all,

I have a request. As the exam approaches, it is becoming really difficult to get over my exam nerves and concentrate on the revision. So I would like to revise with everyone who is interested. I am thinking of deciding a particular time at which everyone who is interested could come online together and we could discuss whatever we need to know for each specification point on the GCE Physics Specification. We did this last year on TSR and it helped a lot - I achieved almost full ums so it really did help a lot. In this way, whoever needs to ask doubts could be replied to immediately. Whoever is interested, please state a suitable time (in GMT) until tonight and we can decide a particular time which suits everyone.

This is for anyone who wants to find out what their local time is in GMT: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/gmt-converter/

Good Luck!
Reply 84
How do you guys tackle the practical-related questions like:

Describe how you would use light gates and air track to investigate momentum/change in momentum.

Describe how you would investigate the effect of m,v and r of orbit on centripetal force.

Can someone suggest suitable investigations for these core practicals?
Can someone put up notes for hydrogen bubble chamber thingy ? please :biggrin:
Reply 86
Original post by vampirerahim
Can someone put up notes for hydrogen bubble chamber thingy ? please :biggrin:

Here you go (:
Original post by d_94
Here you go (:

Thanks alot dude
i was really lookin for something like this
amazing stuff

thanks alot

REP UP !!!
Reply 88
Please can someone help me with these questions..
I've looked at the ms and it makes no sense :frown:

Attachment not found

Here is the ms for the question

ms.jpg
Reply 89
Original post by vampirerahim
Thanks alot dude
i was really lookin for something like this
amazing stuff

thanks alot

REP UP !!!

Welcomee (: Glad I could help
Reply 90
Original post by d_94
Here you go (:

Have you got more notes on particle detection?
Reply 91
Original post by Jess!ca

Attachment not found

ms.jpg

I can't see the first attachment?
Reply 92
Original post by M Kh
Have you got more notes on particle detection?

No. Sorry. Just found this online.
Reply 93
Original post by whooshpaddy
I can't see the first attachment?

I'll try again:

Ph q.jpg
Reply 94
Original post by Jess!ca

Attachment not found

ms.jpg

Hi Jessica,
The first attachment isn't working, so if you edit that I'll try my best to help you!

From the mark scheme it looks like you're doing an OCR paper? In which case, as far as I'm aware for Edexcel, we don't need to know how capacitors work in series or parallel. So question B is obsolete and you don't need to know it.

Hope that helps! And if we do need to know how capacitors work in series, someone please correct me!

Hope that helps..
Z
Reply 95
Original post by Ziviz
Hi Jessica,
The first attachment isn't working, so if you edit that I'll try my best to help you!

From the mark scheme it looks like you're doing an OCR paper? In which case, as far as I'm aware for Edexcel, we don't need to know how capacitors work in series or parallel. So question B is obsolete and you don't need to know it.

Hope that helps! And if we do need to know how capacitors work in series, someone please correct me!

Hope that helps..
Z

Hey,

Yeah it is an OCR paper, because I've done every Edexcel paper there is up till 2010! So I was scouting for similar questions on other boards.

Thank you, that's reassuring :smile: but what got me was in the circuit in the question, two capacitors are in series, but the ms says that to work out total capacitance, you do 1/150 + 1/450... I thought that if it was in series, you just add 150 + 450 >_< So very confused..
Reply 96
Did everyone else know that in Jan 12 for this paper an A was 64% raw marks and an A* was 70%? i didnt realise they were so low
Original post by Jess!ca

Attachment not found

ms.jpg

for the first part use the fact that the charge stored by capacitors in series is equal.

this translates to V(1)C(1)=V(2)C(2) mathematically

you also know that V(1)+(V2) = 6

so can easily solve that for V(1) or (V2) whatever you're after.

second part, real easy once you have first part Q = VC ....

last part, capacitors in series add up in the same way as resistors in parallel

i.e (1/C) = (1/C(1) + (1/C(2)) + ..............)
Original post by Jess!ca

the ms says that to work out total capacitance, you do 1/150 + 1/450... I thought that if it was in series, you just add 150 + 450 >_< So very confused..

when capacitors are in parallel you just add them, in series you must add them as reciprocals.

you can think of capacitors in circuits like you think of springs in mechanical systems :smile: if it seems counter intuitive, putting them in series is like putting springs end on end so the overall spring is actually EASIER to stretch out whereas if you put springs in parallel you can imagine it makes it harder to pull
Reply 99
Original post by 584385
Upload them in pdf format hope they work:smile:

These are gorgeous!
Do you have the notes for AS and the other units by any chance? would be so eternally grateful.

Latest