The Student Room Group

what gcse subjects did you choose to study for options?

What subjects did everyone choose to study during gcse, I'm taking my options now. I'm taking:

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies
and 5 other compulsory subjects.

Are these options okay? What subjects did you choose? Could I study better subjects?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ergo30
What subjects did everyone choose to study during gcse, I'm taking my options now. I'm taking:

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

Are these options okay? What subjects did you choose? Could I study better subjects?

Not for me to say... Look at my profile to see what I did..
I'd be total against, business, as it's mind numbingly dull! But it'll be an eAsy grade I guess, but prepare to be bored!!! As for geography, the physical side is interesting for me, but human parts are boring so you'll have to bare some bits :smile: history is brilliant :biggrin: and so is a language, I'm doing French though :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Not for me to say... Look at my profile to see what I did..I'd be total against, business, as it's mind numbingly dull! But it'll be an eAsy grade I guess, but prepare to be bored!!! As for geography, the physical side is interesting for me, but human parts are boring so you'll have to bare some bits :smile: history is brilliant :biggrin: and so is a language, I'm doing French though :smile:

I wish I was doing french rather than Spanish but its too late to change language.
:redface:
Original post by ergo30
I wish I was doing french rather than Spanish but its too late to change language.
:redface:

Aww! Yeah, French is awesome!! :wink:
Classical Civilisation
Geography
Ict
Spanish,
And the cores :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
I'd did 5 core subjects +

triple award science
latin
geography
Reply 6
Original post by ergo30

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

they look like a good mix, i do geography , history , psychology , and science in society
Reply 7
Original post by ergo30

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

It doesn't matter too much what subjects you take at GCSE (the important ones are English and Maths), so those options are fine. It's best to pick what you enjoy.

Personally, I chose:
French
History
Economics
Computing
+ 6 compulsory subjects.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
French
History
Engineering
Astronomy
+(8 compulsory subjects and 1 compulsory short course)
I took triple science, history and drama. History was very interesting, triple science was dead boring apart from experiments and drama was fun as we always mucked around.
Those options sound sensible - overall you have to pick subjects you enjoy.
I chose: History, Drama, Media Studies and French.
Original post by Jennie027
Those options sound sensible - overall you have to pick subjects you enjoy.
I chose: History, Drama, Media Studies and French.

Media studies was.compulsory for.us :tongue: we sat it in year nine instead :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by ergo30

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

Not even joking, that's exactly what I took! Although, I do have to say that while Business is relatively easy, it can be quite boring.. I don't mind Business to be honest, but I reckon that's just down to the teacher I have.
Don't worry about "better" subjects; as long as you're happy with what you've taken and you don't **** around in the lessons, you'll be fine. I don't think you really need to concentrate on the merit of each subject until A-levels - and this is coming from a GCSE student! :biggrin:
My options were divided into 1 language which was compulsory + 3 options of choice.

My chosen language was French and my 3 other options were German, History and Drama
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Media studies was.compulsory for.us :tongue: we sat it in year nine instead :biggrin:

Lucky you! The language was compulsory for us - Japanese year 7, then either Spanish or German alongside French years 7-9 (I chose Spanish) and then had to choose at least one language for 10 and 11 - could be French, Spanish, Russian, Italian or Japanese. I chose French. So I sat French and Spanish GCSE year 9.
Reply 15
Original post by ergo30

History
Geography
Spanish
Business Studies

At GCSE your grades don't matter, as long as you do English and Maths. At this stage you should choose the options that you enjoy most and would do best in, and then aim for the best grades you possibly can.

I chose Triple Science, French, German, History, Art and Business + 4 core options.
Original post by Jennie027
Lucky you! The language was compulsory for us - Japanese year 7, then either Spanish or German alongside French years 7-9 (I chose Spanish) and then had to choose at least one language for 10 and 11 - could be French, Spanish, Russian, Italian or Japanese. I chose French. So I sat French and Spanish GCSE year 9.

Wow! What did you get? I'm doing French now :smile:
Reply 17
I did:
Graphics
Textiles
History

But we had to take Spanish
I have no regrets doing history, its seen as a more academically challenging subject so looks goid in the future. I went on to do it at A level too so yeah, I'd say do that.
Graphics was the stupidest thing I ever did, but it was easy.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 18
What is drama like in gcse? is it hard?
Cores +
History
English Lit
Photography
Dance BTech
Triple science
citizenship (sadly no choice)

Quick Reply

Latest