Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jessique14
Wow, well done!! Haha we are. See you at Warwick later this year missy :tongue:

Haha hopefully unless I screw up and get EEE :tongue:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1221
Heyy! I have quite much time till uni, but I think it is never too early to start think about it :smile: Warwick is one of my options :smile:
People, just say honestly, are you happy in this university? :biggrin:
Maybe somebody could tell me more about programmes like
Italian and European studies (I saw that it is very new programme)
Italian and Classics
Italian and Hisotry of Art
or..Geography? Is there a possibility to study geography and choose Italian? :}
I saw that if I would study something with Italian, 2nd year would be spent in Italian univerisity, does anybody has experience with it? :}
Thank you very much!
Original post by Brigitta
Heyy! I have quite much time till uni, but I think it is never too early to start think about it :smile: Warwick is one of my options :smile:
People, just say honestly, are you happy in this university? :biggrin:
Maybe somebody could tell me more about programmes like
Italian and European studies (I saw that it is very new programme)
Italian and Classics
Italian and Hisotry of Art
or..Geography? Is there a possibility to study geography and choose Italian? :}
I saw that if I would study something with Italian, 2nd year would be spent in Italian univerisity, does anybody has experience with it? :}
Thank you very much!

Warwick don't have a Geography department. For everything else, there's

georgia
Boom!

I think that's right :p:

EDIT: Just noticed your post in the other thread. FML.
(edited 13 years ago)
So will the new accomodation mean that its more likely for people who make Warwick their insurance to get accomodation? Or will they still have to find accomodation off campus?
(edited 13 years ago)
Could any current History undergrads tell me how they're finding History at Warwick?
Is the swimming pool accessible whenever the sports centre is open?

There is an excel sheet on this site showing when the pool is booked by a club:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/sportscentre/timetables/

And it seems that most of the time it is booked by clubs...So can I just go there and swim in a corner when the pool is booked by a club, or is it completelely inacessible?
Original post by discourse
Is the swimming pool accessible whenever the sports centre is open?

There is an excel sheet on this site showing when the pool is booked by a club:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/sportscentre/timetables/

And it seems that most of the time it is booked by clubs...So can I just go there and swim in a corner when the pool is booked by a club, or is it completelely inacessible?

Yeah: 7.15am to 9.30pm (after which, the barriers to the main sports centre no longer work). As for regular bookings - the number of lanes each booking takes up is indicated by things like 2L or 3L, etc on the spreadsheet.
Original post by TheTallOne
Yeah: 7.15am to 9.30pm (after which, the barriers to the main sports centre no longer work). As for regular bookings - the number of lanes each booking takes up is indicated by things like 2L or 3L, etc on the spreadsheet.

Seems like I won't need to worry about accom and stuff as I've got an offer from Cambridge. Warwick may end up being my insurance, though. :h:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Seems like I won't need to worry about accom and stuff as I've got an offer from Cambridge. Warwick may end up being my insurance, though. :h:

Lol Cambridge? Warwick's much better :h:
is it really possible to go clubbing here?

Original post by Mr. Orange
is it really possible to go clubbing here?

Didn't you try and make that joke a month ago already?!
Original post by Mr. Orange
<gay joke>

Just one of the many reasons why Warwick is so cool - this type of thing weeds out the losers who pick a uni based only on its clubbing scene.
The university owns a lot of that type of land = future development = one campus in the future, rather than multiple, split up campuses.
TheTallOne where do you live off campus?
The people I plan to share with seem very keen on leamington, I've been there a couple times before clubbing but thats about it. Does anyone know much about the bus services to and from uni - how long they take, cost of a bus pass (termly, weekly whatever) etc?
Original post by Nightvision
The people I plan to share with seem very keen on leamington, I've been there a couple times before clubbing but thats about it. Does anyone know much about the bus services to and from uni - how long they take, cost of a bus pass (termly, weekly whatever) etc?

40 mins minimum by bus, usually about an hour around peak times. The distance is really putting me off living in Leam.
Reply 1236
Original post by Zweihander
40 mins minimum by bus, usually about an hour around peak times. The distance is really putting me off living in Leam.

It DOES NOT take 40 minutes minimum. At non peak it takes 20 max.
Original post by zooop
It DOES NOT take 40 minutes minimum. At non peak it takes 20 max.

It says 40 minutes on the uni accom site.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Nightvision

I currently live in Earlsdon, paying £2800 for 42 weeks in a 3 bed house. I'm currently with Warwick Accommodation, so the same insurance you get in halls is available off campus - and you don't need to make deposits/be liable for rent other than yours.

Leamington certainly makes life easier - most of my friends go out to Leamington much more frequently than to Kasbah/Union. If you happen to be out at the union, buses run later to Leamington than they do to Coventry, so I actually think living in Earlsdon is one of the worst places to live in when it comes to getting back from a night out (compared to Leam or places within walking distance to campus). Literally, I've slept in the Maths dept on campus because I missed the last bus, and the number of friend's sofas I have crashed on is very high.

Leamington buses: U1 can take 20 minutes to north Leam from campus (if you go via the A46), another 5 or so to Kelsey's bus stop, and another 5 to south Leam. The U1 (if route variants) can go via Kenilworth, which does add 10 minutes to the journey). In terms of getting on the bus in the morning - you are going to get on it if you live in south Leam, but the further north you head, the more likely the buses are full and will drive past. Though the 12s which run from Leam to Cov don't seem full in the mornings (I'm there because it's such an effort to get back to Earlsdon), however they take the longer Kenilworth route. Bus pass this year was £252 or so for the U1/Stagecoach. #U1s per hour leaving the parade during peak time is 10. #12s per hour from Leam is 2 or 3. Shops: you have Asda in south Leam, Tesco on the parade. Leamington also has late buses from campus to Leam, and the uni express can do good deals to get you to Birmingham, Kasbah, even the union for Top B.

Tile Hill/Earlsdon/Chapelfields buses: You will be reliant on the 12, bus pass cost £215 this year, covers Travel Coventry and will allow you to get to Leam and all around Coventry with it. 12s run every 6-8 minutes to campus during peak hours, but again, the further down the bus route you are, the more chances the buses are full. South Earlsdon by the library and I'm quite certain that you will always be able to get on the bus. Hearsall Common (the nearest stop to Chapelfields/North Earlsdon) occasionally has the bus drives past. Perhaps an average on 1 every time you wait at 8.20 or so. Plus side of this bus stop is that the 19W route stops here as well, which follows the same route as the 12 from Hearsall Lane to Kirby Corner Road (Westwood), but doesn't go through campus (although sometimes they do, if told to by the Travel Coventry people). 81E also is an option, but takes twice as long as it goes to Westwood Heath before getting onto Kirby Corner Road. I've heard you're more likely to get a bus if you arrive at 8.05-8.15, simply because not as many people are lazy enough to get there. Or if you need to walk to Gibbet Hill you arrive earlier, etc. Working further down, you have Tile Hill - Sainsbury's bus stop - you will wait for ages here sometimes. Bus to campus takes about 15 minutes from south Earlsdon, 12 minutes from Hearsall Common, 8 minutes from Tile Hill, 5 minutes from Cannon Park. I sometimes get off at Cannon Park to buy lunch - it costs much less than on campus. When it comes to shops, Sainsburys and Tesco are quite near the bus route, so it shouldn't be a problem. A Morrisons will also be an option to walk to if you are in Chapelfields. 12's stop running not long after midnight, making getting home difficult. Getting from Leam to Campus is also quite OK at 1 or 2 am, but from campus to Coventry is difficult.

Close to campus (Cannon Park, Canley, Westwood Heath, Gibbet Hill): Some people live here because they want to be close to uni to save time or want to avoid buses. In truth, you do avoid buses, but your location will really determine what 'distance benefit' there actually is. Ok, so south of campus there are some really posh houses lying about. They cost more, and you can be quite far from uni as well, unless you live in Gibbet Hill. A 30 minute walk could be on your hands, but if you have the money to spend the facilities you will get will by much better than any other student house. That said, there aren't really any student houses there. I know a couple of big groups of students who have let out large houses on Kenilworth Road - 10+ people. It's typically halls who want to live together after first year. The same could be said for Westwood Heath: most of the houses here are not student houses, but some are quite cheap, and the area is very nice. You are closer to main campus as well. Plus side of Westwood Heath and Gibbet Hill is that the area is good, houses are good. You can take the X17 or U1 or 12 to Leam from Gibbet Hill, but you are far away from campus. Westwood Heath: you probably need to walk to campus to catch any meaningful buses, but there will be a few buses to Coventry. But for both of these areas, you are far from a supermarket, something you should consider.

Cannon Park and Canley: Lots of students live here. But there are only a few regions that are 'close to campus'. The rest you have to face a 15-20 minute walk in, and similarly the further West you go along Charter Avenue, the longer the walk to Tesco and the longer it is to campus. Most ideal locations in Canley is Sir Henry Parkes Road and the surrounding roads (ie anywhere near Tesco). The area is quite rough as well, I know people who won't walk back alone after sunset. Buses - you are served well enough if you want to go to Coventry, however you may need to go to campus if you want to catch the U1/go to Kirby Corner for the 12. You are (obviously) within walking distance of the uni, and (Night) U1 buses run quite late back to campus so even then you can catch that bus to campus and walk back from there. You can be 3 minutes from Tesco, you can be 15 minutes from Tesco. Depends where you choose to live.

Some text to remind me to incorporate this into the guide, in the future. Off campus accommodation
Reply 1239

I currently live in Earlsdon...

That is really useful, thanks. Do you know roughly how often buses pass through north Leam full?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending