The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
I would like to do maths at AS because I think it would help with chemistry and biology later on, and it's one of the more respected subjects.
Reply 2081
Original post by wabbajack123
nothing less than maths further maths and physics will suffice I'm afraid :frown:
you're ******

edit: you obviously have looked up the many other threads on this site and in doing s followed the stupid and irrelevant advice on everyone :/ maybe you should have checked the prospectuses or ucas?

chin chin :smile:

I have actually looked at the prospectuses and UCAS, you don't need AS or A2 in maths. I just wanted to know what others thought about my choices. So **** you.
Original post by Jashdown
I have actually looked at the prospectuses and UCAS, you don't need AS or A2 in maths. I just wanted to know what others thought about my choices. So **** you.

wasn't my post sarcastic enough for you?

come on man if you've read the prospectuses etc. then you'll not what your taking is perfectly fine.... maybe not for one or two Cambridge colleges but who gives a rats arse to them :smile:

I'm planning on taking; Chemistry
Biology
and Geography
at A2 and Maths at AS

Would these be good to get into medical school, I don't really want to do Physics or Maths at A2.

I'd take :

Drama
Media
Music
IT

Medicine Unis like those more - they're more respected lol.
Original post by musi_1993
I'd take :

Drama
Media
Music
IT

Medicine Unis like those more - they're more respected lol.

lol hilarious
Reply 2085
Original post by elenii
Yes that's perfect. Ideally it seems that for AS you should take Biology-Chemistry-Maths (maths is advised at least at our school for medicine) and an essay subject so you're all set.

well you don't have to take maths at all, I can't really be bothered arguing these threads anymore though.....

what school 'says' and what is actually required are two very different things. I'm sure if I had followed my schools so called advice I would have got four rejections without interview.
Original post by Organ

Original post by Organ
well you don't have to take maths at all, I can't really be bothered arguing these threads anymore though.....

what school 'says' and what is actually required are two very different things. I'm sure if I had followed my schools so called advice I would have got four rejections without interview.

Agree 100000000000000000000000%.
Reply 2087
Original post by Organ

Well yes of course it is not required but often highly recommended. top unis ask for a 'three of the following' sort of thing and then list biology, chemistry (required), maths and physics. physics is usually the least required.

not that i'm planning on doing medicine, ever.

but really I don't have that problem. the school i go to has the oldest, most experienced careers advising system in cyprus. it's very well-equipped and the advice is generally the best you can get here.
Reply 2088
Original post by elenii
Well yes of course it is not required but often highly recommended. top unis ask for a 'three of the following' sort of thing and then list biology, chemistry (required), maths and physics. physics is usually the least required.

but really I don't have that problem. the school i go to has the oldest, most experienced careers advising system in cyprus. it's very well-equipped and the advice is generally the best you can get here.

No they don't. there is so much wrong with this post.

I can't be arsed telling you why you are wrong.
Reply 2089
Original post by elenii

**** off then, you have no idea what you're talking about and giving bad advice. Apparently even the "best advice in cyprus" is full of ****.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hello!

I'm really starting to freak out because I am going to sixth form this September and I need to officially decide what A-Levels I want to do.
I want to go to Uni to study Medicine and I'm getting worried about the "you need Maths A-Level to do Medicine" phrase that people keep telling me. Is it true?!?!

At the moment, my options are:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French

I love sciences and languages (especially French [and Spanish!]) and I thought that this choice would mix things up a bit. I am only slightly forcing myself into doing Physics because of the "mathsy" element in the subject, but do I really need that? I do enjoy it though, and I think I would like it at A-Level.

My dream option would be:
Biology
Chemistry
French
Spanish
but is that too hopeful?

Sorry if there has been a similar question to this or if it is in the wrong section, but I couldn't find anything recent or that similar.

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Unless you wish to apply to one or two colleges in Cambridge, physics will not help you at all.
I personally recommend you do your latter combo of bio, chem, french, spanish.... UCL and KCL in particular will LOVE this and if you enjoy it, you will find it a lot more worthwhile. At the end of the day you only need Bio and Chem - the other one/two subjects can be anything you wish (so long as they're no crit think/gen studies or along those lines)
and you don't need maths at all :p:
Fission_Mailed's sig pretty much sums it up, he posted on one of my threads: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1543642
Read his sig :smile:
Original post by avlstudent

My dream option would be:
Biology
Chemistry
French
Spanish
but is that too hopeful?

Live the dream....you'll be fine :smile:
I'm taking:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
English Lit
Maths

and and additional two AS levels (that I'm doing atm) in Fine Art and French.

And don't worry; Maths IS NOT a requirement.

I just like it :tongue:
Maths is helpful, but not necessary.
Reply 2097
Original post by Organ

So what A-levels did you take?
Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!
I feel happier, and am tempted to (as Democracy said) "live the dream"!

:biggrin: thanks again!
Original post by elenii
Yes that's perfect. Ideally it seems that for AS you should take Biology-Chemistry-Maths (maths is advised at least at our school for medicine) and an essay subject so you're all set.

It isn't "ideal" to do maths, or an essay subject.