The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sooooooooooo nervous about my first shift today..

This may sound stupid.. But where do I actually go when I arrive at mcdonalds for my first shift?? I still have to get my uniform from them and then be paired up!?

So confused :s-smilie:
Reply 4041
Original post by jamesanthonydean
Sooooooooooo nervous about my first shift today..

This may sound stupid.. But where do I actually go when I arrive at mcdonalds for my first shift?? I still have to get my uniform from them and then be paired up!?

So confused :s-smilie:

Just go to the tills or if you see a costumer care person in the lobby you can ask him and he'll send you to the manager & you'll probably get your uniform then.
Don't worry, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by TwoDot
I'm a bit confused as to what you did. Did you just take the £2 from the till and give it back to him after he had paid or did you do it properly via the till? If it wasn't done on the till depending on your stores policy then yes it could be taken out of their wages. In my store your till is allowed to be down by £1.50 but after that it gets taken out of your wage.

Refunds are a nightmare though. In my store even though I've been there a year if I have to do a refund my managers just look at me like scum when its never my fault. We have been warned that if we do refunds without a manager we will get in trouble but I did have to do one recently and the manager was on the phone. Never done it before but I think I did it right. If it's a small amount like £1 or £2 I'd just give it back from the till as it's not worth the hassle of dealing with a proper refund.

Sorry, my rambling wasn't very clear.

The customer paid by card and asked for a refund, so I called over my manager who used his card to authorise the refund. He got his money back and we didn't give him any food. Hence I was a little confused when the annoying man whose till I was using said that the two pounds would be taken out his wages as I didn't see how.

I hadn't even been trained on till so was really just coping as best as I could, I didn't even realise we could give refunds without managers, even though technically we're not.
:yawn:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by IGX_RSV2
:yawn:

tired are we? :P
anyone else not finding mctime on ourlounge? :s-smilie:
Reply 4046
I had my interview yesterday :biggrin:. No OJE. I got asked if I wanted a drink at a really odd moment so I declined.

Interview itself was really informal. We ended up talking about arranging work around my uni holidays, when I could start, where I've lived, if she was pronouncing my name right, and a cantonese guy who doesn't like being called Chinese :smile: among other things.

She seemed keen to put me on the lobby so I guess that's where'll I be most of the time. She seemed to more or less indicate I'd be given the job, I have a feeling there weren't many applicants. She was already talking about coming a welcome meeting on Monday with photocopies so I hope that's a good sign!

The BM said she had to leave for a course until thursday, so need her to get back for details.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SortYourLife
anyone else not finding mctime on ourlounge? :s-smilie:

It's on there, but it just redirects me to the ourlounge home page. Same with My Learning.
Reply 4048
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
Sorry, my rambling wasn't very clear.

The customer paid by card and asked for a refund, so I called over my manager who used his card to authorise the refund. He got his money back and we didn't give him any food. Hence I was a little confused when the annoying man whose till I was using said that the two pounds would be taken out his wages as I didn't see how.

I hadn't even been trained on till so was really just coping as best as I could, I didn't even realise we could give refunds without managers, even though technically we're not.

If it was done via the till as you said then it shouldn't be taken out of his wages. Another thing is though when a refund is given a refund slip is printed and you are meant to write on it why the refund was given and then it has to be signed by you and a manger and put in the till. I've been told that if the refund slip isn't in the till the money will be taken out of my wages even though it's been registered on the till.

When you have the till card you can do anything on the till but I wouldn't worry about refunds as it should be very rare that you have to give any. I think I've given about 4 in the whole year I've worked there.
Reply 4049
How many weeks notice does mcdonalds require for a day off? I have to get July 30-31 off, but by the time they've given me to start, that'll be less than two weeks away. Should I try and contact them before I start?
Reply 4050
For just a day off it's usually two weeks notice.
Talk to your business manager and explain what happened. What I usually do if a customer changes their minds is call a manager over and state that the customer changed their mind so I need to borrow their card. Otherwise they just assume it was me who made the mistake and blame me... When it comes to cashing up they say that they won't give me an rts because they saw it wasn't my fault. Luckily some of my managers don't even bother with T-reds, though I have two managers that are the "strict" and "by the book" type.

Ripped up! Woop.
Reply 4052
Original post by TwoDot
If it was done via the till as you said then it shouldn't be taken out of his wages. Another thing is though when a refund is given a refund slip is printed and you are meant to write on it why the refund was given and then it has to be signed by you and a manger and put in the till. I've been told that if the refund slip isn't in the till the money will be taken out of my wages even though it's been registered on the till.

When you have the till card you can do anything on the till but I wouldn't worry about refunds as it should be very rare that you have to give any. I think I've given about 4 in the whole year I've worked there.

if you get a supervisor card you can change the messages displayed on the front of the tills :colone:
Reply 4053
****ing hell. I've decided I hate my restaurant after my shift today.

I got put on D/A with someone who is utterly rubbish and does bugger all. So I'm going around sweeping, emptying the bins and clearing trays whilst they're constantly checking their phone that they've hidden out of sight on D/A. I also had to stock up since they'd not bothered to do it on the morning :/

Anyhow I get my break and when I come back its time for the person who I was on D/A with to finish their shift. So my manager says to make sure everything is tidy, bins emptied etc and then that person can leave. I get onto D/A after clocking back in and the person has been told to leave. The floor is a state (the brush hadn't moved from where I'd left it before I went on my break) practically everything needs filled up (napkin dispenser = empty and straws are near enough empty) most of the bins are full and there's a **** load of trays needing cleaned.

My manager then informs me that I can clean it all myself because apparently I'd done nothing all morning apart from wipe a couple of trays. ****ing bastard! For a 45 minute break it took me almost two hours to get the dining area back into its natural balance.

I had people on front asking me for trays (whilst I was cleaning them) because they'd run out. I just looked at them with a "what the **** does it look like I'm doing" expression on my face.

I was cleaning the toilets and got asked to take something out to a customer. So told them to put it on a tray since I hadn't washed my hands. "No you don't need a tray just take it out!" and then that bitch of a manager shouts at me "For Christ sake just take it out!" .. I put it on a tray regardless. Pretty sure I'd have been breaking every health and safety rule we have at work if I'd touched it with my hands. But surprise surprise my restaurant is ****.

A customer spilled a drink on the floor so I got the mop to clear it up and then another manager is calling my name. Was just about at breaking point there and was tempted to shout "WHAT THE **** DO YOU WANT?! CAN YOU NOT SEE I'M DOING SOMETHING?!"

urgh, literally worst day of my life.
McDonald's! Why don't you read this forum. Come sort my restaurant out (preferably by firing all of my managers and most of the staff plox <3 )
Reply 4054
Original post by Stacks

Wait, you only had two people workin in the lobby? :confused: we usually have at least 3! You need to tell the manager about the slacker cause that's just really unfair. Or talk to the person.
Reply 4055
Original post by Torrchy
Wait, you only had two people workin in the lobby? :confused: we usually have at least 3! You need to tell the manager about the slacker cause that's just really unfair. Or talk to the person.

We only have two cos we're a smaller store. Still get loads of customers though :frown:
And the managers won't do anything because they're as bad as the staff at our store.

No one does anything. The only person who actually makes people do their jobs is our second assistant manager (if that's what they're called).

Like we have lists of all the cleaning that needs done on dining area in the morning. Some of the stuff on that list I've never seen anyone do except me. Also Slacky McSlacky got put on D/A open last week and had apparently done all the the tasks on the list. Then our one decent manager came in, went on D/A and basically went in a total rage at them because they'd done nothing. It was brilliant :colone:
Reply 4056
I'm so nervous for Thursday!

What's the deal with booking days off as a new employee? Like, if you've had a weekend away booked for months, but you then get the job. Would you be able to request it off so early in? Has anyone else had to?

Just thinking in the case that I do get the job, here's hoping!
Original post by bronn
Thats all I said and I got the job, just don't act nervous and show genuine interest when they're explaining about the store. Another good one is 'because there's a chance to progress', it shows that you're keen.

when i had my interview I put across to them an interest in the products, told them I enjoy meeting new people and that I find it easier to work somewhere that I would be selling things that I myself enjoyed.

Try not to make it sound scripted.

Also if the interviewer gives you a chance, ask them a bit about themselves and their experiences(length of service, what they like about working at mcd's etc) with the company.

Arghh got a wedding on the 22nd, and i thought i was going away on the 23rd so just booked a holiday from the 22nd. Now turns out im not going away on the 22nd im going on the 30th, so all i have done is send another request for the 30th to the 13th (instead of the 22nd to the 6th. )

but now i need to send another request for the 22nd as i still cannot work as its the wedding. what type of leave do i put this as?

First shift went quite well!

Bit daunting being left on the till on my own on rush hour.. But to be honest, it's the easiest way to learn!

Got my second shift today, But i'm really confused what to do? Do I go straight to the crew room? Or do I go find someone and tell them i'm here?
Will I have a crew trainer again today too? I believe he's on shift again the same time I am.. Seeing as I was on tills yesterday, will i more than likely be in the kitchen today??

:biggrin: