The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

S104 Exploring Science - October 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think it's fine but it's a short course. MST121 and MST221 are linked and they say that's what you really need for the harder physics based courses. MST209 seems important as well for level 3 courses. All three are compulsory for the Maths degree.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Original post by Hexe72
Blimey! Another one who can't seem to get enough input :tongue:

Kind of; aiming for Medical Physics, but well... still a long long way... so for now it's just: :blah:

@Nitebot: Are you going to do MST121 only, or maybe MST209 and MST221 as well? (Or does it depend on the route you're going to take after S104?) I'm a bit doubtful as to how much time I should invest in maths courses, and I find it hard to assess what's essential pre-knowledge and what's just 'nice to know'.
Reply 22
Well both the physics and astronomy pathways recommend MST121 and MST221 to cover the maths you'll need. If your maths is already better than A level, you can skip MST121 and just do MST221. Some have done that and bought the MST121 materials for a refresher. MST 209 on maths modelling seems essential if you want to do level 3 physics modules on quantum mechanics, relativity and electromagneticim.

Obviously if you go the chemistry or biology route, you'll be able to get away with less maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Taken from S282 description... S283 requires even less.
"You are not expected to have any knowledge of astronomy, but we recommend that you do not attempt the course without a sound knowledge of physics and mathematics from our Level 1 courses Exploring science (S104) or Using mathematics (MST121)"

The "Are You Ready For..." pages state:
"If you are not intending to study astronomy or physics above Level 2, then it may
be appropriate for you to study S151 Maths for science, a 10-point short course
that will strengthen your mathematical preparedness for S282. You should
certainly take S151 if you found the maths in S103 difficult."

This is the route (ish) I'm looking at with Level 3 heading more into the Geology side of things (less maths woohoo :rolleyes: ) and the Level 2 Astronomy more out of personal interest than necessity.

Does that sound like I'm being sensible enough or would you recommend I go for more maths to be sure I've got it covered in case things change in the future?
Reply 24
If you read the course reviews for MST121 it does seem that most students went on to do MST 221 and some even studied both at the same time. But MST221 really seems to be preparation for advanced physics and maths. I imagine that it's probably useful if you like the geophysics side of things but obviously not essential for more standard geology.
http://www3.open.ac.uk/coursereviews/course.aspx?course=mst121
Reply 25
Original post by Nitebot
If your maths is already better than A level, you can skip MST121 and just do MST221. Some have done that and bought the MST121 materials for a refresher. MST 209 on maths modelling seems essential if you want to do level 3 physics modules on quantum mechanics, relativity and electromagneticim.
Yep, MST209 is in my "plans" as well. Still not sure. There are some course extracts over here; I'll just have a look and see how much maths is actually included in S104.

The module system at my previous uni was uninspiringly limited, but also comfortingly fail-safe: "Physics I + Maths for Physicists I, Physics II + Maths for Physicists II, ..."

Original post by Hexe72
Does that sound like I'm being sensible enough or would you recommend I go for more maths to be sure I've got it covered in case things change in the future?
Haha, same doubts and concerns as I have then, eh? :tongue: The whole module system is so flexible that somehow, personally, I've given up on making fixed plans altogether. Maybe you should, too. :wink: Were you able to find any info about S103 and its contents?

Interesting, that the S282 description says that either S104 or MST121 were sufficient preparation. As the OU seems very careful as to what they write in the "Entry" and "Are you ready?" paragraphs, it's probably safe to say that S282 is manageable with just having finished S104. I want those S104 books now!

Btw, taken from one of the S282 reviews: "The maths level is completely affordable for anyone having taken, for example, S151: just some basic algebra and a tiny bit of trigonometry is required." (http://www3.open.ac.uk/coursereviews/course.aspx?course=s282)

Hm!

Edit: You probably know this site already, but I found the videos extremely helpful during my first science courses at uni: http://www.khanacademy.org/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by moertel
Haha, same doubts and concerns as I have then, eh? :tongue: The whole module system is so flexible that somehow, personally, I've given up on making fixed plans altogether. Maybe you should, too. :wink: Were you able to find any info about S103 and its contents?

Interesting, that the S282 description says that either S104 or MST121 were sufficient preparation. As the OU seems very careful as to what they write in the "Entry" and "Are you ready?" paragraphs, it's probably safe to say that S282 is manageable with just having finished S104. I want those S104 books now!

S103 was replaced with S104 so it's a bit more updated and ties in with other newer versions of courses :smile:

I got my books off eBay for £33 from someone local to me (about half hour's drive) so I'm already laughing in that sense :colone:

I'm one of those people that likes to plan for every eventuality wherever possible and I'm a little worried that if I find the maths side of things over my head that I'll be kicking myself for not doing "correct" or "most relevant" recommended courses... plus of course money is an issue :wink:
Reply 27
I am studying S104 is February 2012.

Please tell me how it is going :biggrin:
Reply 28
Fine so far. Book 1 which covers global warming gives a gentle introduction to the sciences although the detail picked up towards the end. Glad I'm not going to be doing any exams on the Earth's carbon cycle. I'd never remember it all!! :smile: Now on to Earth and Space. The bits on how the earth works in detail will be tricky for me as my geology is weak but it might reinforce some of Book 1. The astronomy bits should be ok as that was a hobby in my younger days.
Reply 29
Just plod through the chapters leading up to the Plate Tectonics stuff at the end of that section. Then go back and re-read it all and you should find it clicks in fairly easily.

I found the second section on the Astronomy side a little complicated in places but again it slots together with a second reading.
I have to add that I did love the way it took you on a journey travelling away from the Earth and taking in the surrounding objects and phenomena as you went :wink:
Currently doing this with S154 and S151. S151 submitted, S154 about 50% done, and the first iCMA/TMA 01 done. Not really reading the books; I found them too verbose.

Has anyone done the rain gauge experiment? If so, do we have to stick the results onto a wiki/tutor group forum?
Original post by h82think
I am studying S104 is February 2012.

Please tell me how it is going :biggrin:

Hi h82think. :smile: I remember you from somewhere... GCSERCDT 2009, or the FSMQ thread.

The course is fine really. I've seen reviews of people stating that they needed all 16 hours (and more sometimes) per week to complete the course. Having done the first iCMA (90 %) and TMA 01 (no mark yet) I can safely say that I won't spend much more than 16 hours per month on this course. I prefer to read the TMA questions and then do the necessary reading, rather than follow the course to the letter. Taking three courses together has probably taken me in the region of 6-10 hours per week so far in total. One thing to be wary of are the people on the FB groups/Platform/TGFs that moan despite being ahead. Just do your own thing.
Reply 32
Original post by addylad
Currently doing this with S154 and S151. S151 submitted, S154 about 50% done, and the first iCMA/TMA 01 done. Not really reading the books; I found them too verbose.

Has anyone done the rain gauge experiment? If so, do we have to stick the results onto a wiki/tutor group forum?

Yes, everyone has to post their results in the wiki in order to do TMA02. Our tutor has reminded us more than once about this. We've had our TMA01 results. Expect plenty of comments about your work!

I like the books. Some of it is a bit waffly but that's because it's a level 1 course and some people are new to study. In terms of course difficulty, our tutor said that the course is straightforward until book 4 on chemistry and then the difficulty is turned up and it's hard going until the end. It depends on your background of course, as some people in my tutor group already have higher level science modules under their belts and a couple have science degrees.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Heya Nitebot & addylad...
How's things? Any TMA results?

I've well and truly bitten the bullet now and signed up for S155 to run alongside S104 as I've read through to the middle of Book 4 now and it's all good so far :wink:
Reply 34
Yes. Not saying the mark because it's a secret! :smile: But it was decent. Too generous may be considering the comments. The one general point I'll make though is that presenting detailed scientific information in a clear and concise manner and in your own wording is strongly emphasised. Many seemed to have issues with that including myself. You may know your stuff but can you relay it to others? So I'd certainly get practicising on that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Thanks very much Nitebot and well done on your decent mark :cool:
I know I have an issue with conveying my answers in "proper" sentences as I've repeatedly found myself shouting answers at my textbooks in the format of "well it's [INSERT ANSWER] duhhh!!!" :colondollar:
which obviously wouldn't go down too well in a TMA situation LMAO :biggrin:

I have found some of the given answers to be rather waffly and full of unnecessary steps/info... do they REALLY want THAT much detail?? Or is that merely there so that "everybody" can see how they got there? :eek:
Reply 36
The books may have waffle but the tutors won't accept it. Even if you're under the word limit you'll get picked up on unneccessarily long sentences or poor expression. I had this issue with other courses as well.
Reply 37
Phew! Slight relief at that then... not needing to go on and on about something that seems blindingly obvious is a good thing in my book :wink:

I'm open to any other comments/remarks/tips/advice etc you feel generous enough to pass on :colondollar:
Reply 38
I wish I'd had your enthusiasm before my course started Hexe! :smile:. The one thing that was said at our tutorial was make sure that you're solid with significant figures. If you have to do a calculation with data, you have to know the appropriate number of significant figures to give your answer in based on the precision of the data. Easy to mess up. Our tutor said that even towards the end of the course many student still muddle them up. And in connection with that be clear on levels of uncertainty too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
My enthusiasm is for sale.... any offers? :biggrin:

I've always had that confusion with sig fig going back years but the S104 books have helped to clear up some of my quibbles as to how many you should quote to being the same as the least precise figure given in the question... I just need to remember that when it comes to doing it :rolleyes:
I still have trouble with the level of uncertainty... haha you could say I have a level of uncertainty about it :aetsch:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending