The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDizzeeKid
LOL, Sophie's actually already got one!

Damn her!
Original post by c3ntury
Masters and in turn Ph.D in Computer Science. Doing a gap year beforehand in Asia.

Nice. I wanna get a PhD too.

But in maths
Original post by Cubic
You just came across as spoilt when you said that £120 million isn't a lot, that's all.

Not that I have a problem with you, it takes a lot more than some random spoilt girl to get on my nerves, I'm actually finding all of the arguments rather amusing.

:smile:

Oh, I see what you mean now. Sorry for coming across that way.

:L
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I agree about the Oxbridge thing, even if you did get in, they obviously ask for FM for a reason, so I and you might find it incredibly hard...

Further Maths.

Go Maths. Maths RULEZ!!!
Original post by GreenLantern1
Damn her!

It's my sister's actually.
Reply 3965
Original post by Cubic
I've heard of something called 'Quantum Computing' but I'm not sure what it is. Do you know what it is, and if so could you explain it to me?

Sure.

Imagine that there are different 'models' on how you can build a computer. I don't mean using different parts, I mean different architectures entirely. Our current model is called 'classical', because it's quite old, but there is a new concept, called 'Quantum'.

Quantum computing uses quantum mechanics to perform operations on data, but at the much faster and more efficient rate to that of today's machines. They're not based on transistors (which computers we have today are made upon).

Note that they will not be able to solve any problem which modern computers cannot, they simply can do it a lot faster.

Hope it helps, if you have any further questions, let me know. I'm awful at explaining stuff :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3966
Nice. I wanna get a PhD too.

But in maths

Computer scientists and mathematics usually end up working together a lot anyway, perhaps I'll see you around :wink:
Further Maths.

Go Maths. Maths RULEZ!!!

Did you get my quote :biggrin:
Original post by Pandora.
Go to the 'GCSEs' forum, find our thread, then look across to the number of replies. Click it and voila. :smile:

What is the post count? Has Charlie overtaken everyone. :fight:

Can you post it on here (I wanna see). Please :hat2:

:ninja:
Original post by blueray
Did you get my quote :biggrin:

Your quote!

What quote?

Quote me again!
So on moderation day, do you think my Art exam will get marked? Sorry for bothering everyone, Im just getting freaked out. I want to get a C or above in that subject as it's my favourite and it's also my top choice at college. For the Art exam, my painting is worth 25% and my sketchbook is worth 75%. I really don't want to fail.
What is the post count? Has Charlie overtaken everyone. :fight:

Can you post it on here (I wanna see). Please :hat2:

:ninja:

Spoiler

Reply 3972
Original post by c3ntury
Sure.

Imagine that there are different 'models' on how you can build a computer. I don't mean using different parts, I mean different architectures entirely. Our current model is called 'classical', because it's quite old, but there is a new concept, called 'Quantum'.

Quantum computing uses quantum mechanics to perform operations on data, but at the much faster and more efficient rate to that of today's machines. They're not based on transistors (which computers we have today are made upon).

Note that they will not be able to solve any problem which modern computers cannot, they simply can do it a lot faster.

Hope it helps, if you have any further questions, let me know. I'm awful at explaining stuff :tongue:

Someone who was in the IMO said that she was interested in it, so I wanted to know what it was.

I understand what it is now, thank you. :smile:

Spoiler

Wow there are a lot of people that just post here once.

Spoiler

Reply 3974

c3ntury 138

Blimey I've slipped down the rankings eh? :tongue:
Original post by burgerrr

Mehhh... I don't really know where to start in terms of work experience (volunteerings been fine though- most places take you!).
I don't turn 16 till very late August which makes it harder to apply for w.e during the summer apparently....

The closest i've got so far is taking the WRVS trolley around the wards of my local hospital.
My futile attempts to email GPs has not resulted in anything yet, but i'll have to keep trying, still got plenty of time!

What sort of places have you asked?

elderly people homes mainly.. zero replies - thought it was actually quite rude to not even acknowledge my interest...
i do volunteering but i hope to get some hosp. work exp soon
Reply 3976
Original post by Cubic
Someone who was in the IMO said that she was interested in it, so I wanted to know what it was.

I understand what it is now, thank you. :smile:

IMO? And no problem. :smile:
Original post by c3ntury
Computer scientists and mathematics usually end up working together a lot anyway, perhaps I'll see you around :wink:

It'll be like Alan Turing and G.H.Hardy - though I don't believe they ever worked together!
How long does it take to get a Ph.D (not including the years it takes to to get the degree amd Masters)

I may do a Masters,but thats at stretch. The extra time is takes to do a gap year, MA and Ph.d I could save 75-90 thousand pounds.
Original post by c3ntury
IMO? And no problem. :smile:

International Mathematical Olympiad.

This person has o be a crazy mathematician. Literally, top 5 in the country of Britain!!!

Latest