The Student Room Group

OCR B (Advancing Physics) G492, 25th May 2012 Afternoon

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ashton.gibbs
How do you turn it off?! :tongue:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Above the keyboard there's a little bar which days 'open advanced options'. Open it and there's an option to turn it off. :smile:
Reply 41
does anyone have the jan 2012 paper for this??
Reply 42
Original post by master y
how's revision evryone?? :smile:

Awful
Original post by ElleRose
Above the keyboard there's a little bar which days 'open advanced options'. Open it and there's an option to turn it off. :smile:

Reply 44
Original post by When you see it...
:eek:
Where did you get that paper from? I thought that the earliest unit 2 exam was June 09.
Could you post the mark scheme please? Also the grade boundaries?
BTW for that question you know that:
P is proportional to v^(3)
So if v doubled the RHS would turn into:
(2v)^(3)
Which expands to give:
8v^3
Therefore in order to make the above proportionality equation still true (with the same constant I mean - it would still be true if you changed the constant, but you can't because the density, shape and area are all... well, constant!) you need to multiply the RHS by a factor of... 8! So the answer is 8.

Mark scheme (Grade boundaries A 64/90, B 58/90):
Reply 45
Original post by wandertree
does anyone have the jan 2012 paper for this??

Jan 2012 paper:
Original post by bluekipper
Mark scheme (Grade boundaries A 64/90, B 58/90):

Oh, it's the old syllabus lol. Thanks anyway.

Jan 2012 paper:

Thanks! Could you upload the markscheme and advance notice for Jan 12 too?
Reply 47
Original post by Lucozad
x

Original post by ashton.gibbs
xx

x (Grade boundaries A 64/90, B 58/90):

Ox

x

Original post by ElleRose
x

Hey guys, just wondering, you know when they give you some values and then you have to 'propose a test' and then conclusion and that... what do you actually write in test proposed? I normally find the constant and see whether it works for all the data?? any thoughts???
Hey guys, just wondering, you know when they give you some values and then you have to 'propose a test' and then conclusion and that... what do you actually write in test proposed? I normally find the constant and see whether it works for all the data?? any thoughts???

I'm not sure what you mean.
Reply 49

Yeah I try and usually work out the constant, a relationship between the data, if there is no relationship, i just simply say no relationship, ive had some practice with these questions, but I still need some practicing? Any ideas on what else you would say?
Reply 50
I'm not sure what you mean.

example, Q10b? http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_10_jan/ocr_49363_pp_10_jan_gce_g492.pdf

You work out the ratio for each one and, if the values are all the same, you conclude that (for the data range given, it is safe to assume that):
Temperature = frequency * (your value)
therefore
Temperature <insert alpha symbol> frequency
^this is if you did temperature/frequency
If you did frequency/temperature, you would just swap them round in each equation.
TBH, I doubt there is a 'correct method', so if you demonstrate that you know what directly proportional means and calculate some numeric value for all the data and have some sort of reasonable conclusion, you should get al the marks.
Reply 52
You work out the ratio for each one and, if the values are all the same, you conclude that (for the data range given, it is safe to assume that):
Temperature = frequency * (your value)
therefore
Temperature <insert alpha symbol> frequency
^this is if you did temperature/frequency
If you did frequency/temperature, you would just swap them round in each equation.
TBH, I doubt there is a 'correct method', so if you demonstrate that you know what directly proportional means and calculate some numeric value for all the data and have some sort of reasonable conclusion, you should get al the marks.

sometimes the values are not exactly the same... but they could be the same for a certain number of sig figs. How do you know how many sig figs to use?
sometimes the values are not exactly the same... but they could be the same for a certain number of sig figs. How do you know how many sig figs to use?

However many gives the same value for every data pair I would guess.
Reply 54
However many gives the same value for every data pair I would guess.

thanks dude. so scared for this exam...! How was phys in action for you?
thanks dude. so scared for this exam...! How was phys in action for you?

I'm not sure tbh, but for sure I dropped about 10 marks. I think unit 2 is easier though as the mechanics in it is (usually) insultingly easy, it's just a case of making sure that you learn both the diffraction geometry equation things and all the names of the stuff (i.e. harmonics for standing waves). I'm screwed for quantum though because I don't get it and doubt I will by friday.
BTW does anyone know how to derive:
X = D * lambda /d
I can post a derivation for:
n * lambda = d sin(angle)
If anyone wants.
Reply 56
I did past papers from May 2009 till January 2012, and I could answer it well, most of them. But now im doing the same papers again, & Im finding it difficult to answer most of the questions. This is not a good thing 2 days before my exam.

Reply 57
Oh, it's the old syllabus lol. Thanks anyway.

Thanks! Could you upload the markscheme and advance notice for Jan 12 too?

Mark Scheme and Advance Notice Jan 2012:
Reply 58
Original post by supaabzz
I did past papers from May 2009 till January 2012, and I could answer it well, most of them. But now im doing the same papers again, & Im finding it difficult to answer most of the questions. This is not a good thing 2 days before my exam.

wat sort of marks r u averaging?
Reply 59
Hi I know this is a bit late considering the exam is tomorrow, but I do this board too. I hate the advanced notice article :0

Quick Reply